Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Through the Ever Night (edition 2013)

by Veronica Rossi

331None33,264 (4.27)10
Member:ExLibris_Kate
Title:Through the Ever Night
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

I was a little nervous that this would suffer from sequel disappointment because I loved Under the Never Sky so much. It didn’t. Rossi continued to develop the characters and expand on their relationships. I like how the secondary characters are fleshed out, especially Roar. The character development was balanced nicely with an intense plot that ended on a serious cliffhanger. An interesting part of the story is that bad things do happen to the characters and then they have to work on dealing with the aftermath. It created a very cohesive story that didn’t have the setting up for the finale feel that so many middle books suffer from. Now I am really looking forward to the last book in this series. ( )
  readr | Apr 16, 2014 |
Through the Ever Night is the 2nd book in the Under the Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi. It continues the story of Aria and Perry trying to survive in the outside world with its violent storms. Aria and Perry, from two different worlds, fell in love in the first book, Under the Never Sky. They were apart for a long time as Aria went home. With the beginning of Through the Ever Night, they are set to be together again.

Perry is now leader of the Tides, the people who live out in the wild. They don't trust Aria's people, the Dwellers, so Aria has a hard time fitting in. Perry must keep his people safe, even if it's against their wishes, plus he and Aria still need to save his little brother. How do they keep their relationship alive if they must separate again?

There's a lot of tension and in-fighting in the story. The people must learn to work together and accept help from outsiders in order to survive, and they may not be able to do it. The action never stops in this exciting sequel to Under the Never Sky. It's a must read series for dystopian lovers! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 28, 2014 |
Meh. I love the characters and the plot was, in theory, decent. However, I needed more about the world: why were the Tides familiar with the seas, why did they chose to start there and why had the Horns started where they had? Why were there raids/lawlessness from bandits other than "the Aether destroyed their homes". If a storm destroyed my home or even, my town, I wouldn't resort to breaking and entering the next town over. So why does it happen here, in this world?

The characters really save the book. We are part of their thoughts, while they have real, complex feelings and change from those experiences. I found myself understanding all the complexities there but I was sad to see it happen too quickly, say, in a chapter or even in one case of misunderstanding/forgiveness, in half a page.

Perhaps it was all too ambitious. Too many plot lines that needed to wrap up in a certain number of words. I felt the plot was tied up too quickly...and fa la la, we're all happy and going to work it all out. That type of thought seemed out of character for Perry, a consummate worrier and more apt for Aria. ( )
  HunyBadger | Mar 17, 2014 |
Since I know not to get my hopes up with sequels, I wasn't expecting to be too impressed. And low and behold, I wasn't. We start back off with Aria and Perry seeing each other for like literally ten minutes and then they have to pretend they don't know each other because of the Tribes. Throughout the book frustration boiled in me because Rossi had to put SO MUCH ROMANCE IN LIKE ONE PAGE and then the whole rest of the book we got nada (nothing).

And what was up with Kirra? That really made me lose all swooniness I had for Perry before. He "could no longer resist her curves and lips" REALLY? Is that all it takes for you Perry? It was just sickening. He forgot all about Aria when he was with "the Scire", Kirra. He seriously only knew her for a day and wanted her. Not to mention his past exploits with Brooke. To me, Perry is definitely a player. Who's to know if another girl is going to come in the picture and he's going to like her to? Honestly it was just dumb and unfair to Aria who's always so loyal to Perry and her feelings.

Now.. on to the whole "Roar and Liv Saga". So, Liv was made out to be some goddess to be worshipped according to Roar and then we finally met her and I was like..Why all the hype? She had no personality. She was uninteresting and the only thing she seemed to be good at was unpredictability. To be honest, I was kind of rooting for Aria and Roar to get together. They were WAY better together than Roar and Liv..and Perry didn't seem to miss her that much when he was with Kirra.

The plot was very slow-moving and we don't get any real action till the very end of the book. Aria is looking for information to get to the Still Blue to save Talon while Perry is busy being Blood Lord of the Tides and apparently seducing women. Another thing that bothered me about this book was the characters. Way too many new ones were introduced, mixed with the ones we already knew and it became increasingly difficult to keep up. Now that I named the bad, here were things that I did like that made me give this three stars. First off: Soren. After explaining he had DLS, I really started to like him. His whole "phantom of the opera" scene was really endearing and made me feel for him. Second, Roar and Aria's friendship. It was real and I loved their interactions with each other. And third, the way Rossi is with her writing. I still enjoyed a lot of moments in this because of Rossi's great use of words. Overall, it was good, but not great and nothing compared to the first. It didn't hook me at all like the first one did, but I will still be reading the last as I would like to see the conclusion. One last comment: Yes, the guy that's on the cover doesn't resemble Perry, but who cares? He's way better looking and I could stare at him all day ;) ( )
  alexis909 | Oct 12, 2013 |
This sequel did not disappoint (as sequels usually do!) Perhaps I've had more time with the characters now, but they've grown on me, especially Roar. I really enjoyed the setting of this book. Even though it takes place in post-apocalyptic times (i.e., the future)...it had such a pre-historic feel to it (and I love pre-historic stories like Clan of the Cave Bear.) It is an interesting concept to think that hundreds of years into the past could be so similar to hundreds of years into the future. I'm not sure if it's a statement the author intended to make, but I thought it was a powerful one nonetheless. ( )
  jacquiemak | Sep 22, 2013 |

Hoping to be reunited after months of separation, Aria and Perry are met with hostility by Dweller-resenting Tides before a Aether storm threatens the tribe's existence, forcing Aria to consider leaving Perry to save both their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible