Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Through the Ever Night (edition 2013)

by Veronica Rossi

Member:ExLibris_Kate
Title:Through the Ever Night
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Rarely do you find that book 2 in a trilogy is stronger than book 1, but that's what happens here.

We pick up a few months after Under the Never Sky ends, and finally the author gives me some answers about the Aether storms. I'm not sure if she didn't have an explanation in book 1 or not, but those are the kind of details that I want. The world building was somewhat better in this book, and I liked Perry and Aria more as well. They were better fleshed out characters this time around and there was more action rather than just walking from place to place as they did in book 1.

Perry is now Blood Lord of the Tides, and Aria is recovering from the shock of her mother's death. They reunite and continue to search for the Still Blue--their only hope for safety in their deteriorating world. Perry makes mistakes, as any young leader would. Aria makes a mature decision to work with Soren for the greater good. And Perry and Aria get a taste for the obstacles they will need to overcome to make their relationship work. Also, more Roar, Reef, Marron and Cinder. All good things.

Looking forward to reading the conclusion in book 3. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
I have read mixed reviews about this book but, I have to say I simply love this trilogy. I thought long about why I like it so much and others don't. I came to the conclusion that it is the romance I love throughout the book. It is so tender and well written it also doesn't shy away from the physical side of attraction that other YA novels do.

It has been a criticism with may trilogies that the second book can drop off and be the poor relation to the other two. This is certainly not the case with Through the Ever Night. In fact I would say that this book is better than the first. The characters are well developed and engaging my favourite actually is one of the supporting characters. Roar for me is someone that I wish was my friend he is loyal, funny and charismatic. I have to also say that I love the two main characters although some have said they do not.

Another strength of this trilogy is that the books finish. Both novels have a start, middle and end and do not rely on the other two books to complete part of the story. There is also enough joy in reading them to make you want to continue with the series. For me this is fast becoming one of my favourite YA trilogies and with competition such as The Hunger Games and Divergent that is quite a claim. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Sep 25, 2014 |
An excellent sequel to an great book. Characters are just more likable, the story progression is even better and the world gets even bigger. ( )
  cfranson | Sep 2, 2014 |
Nice 2nd book, ties up some ends and makes new ones. Not a horrible cliffhanger like some other books. Satisfied but still waiting the next installment ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
**No spoilers.

4.5 stars
– this sequel did NOT suck.

Wait. Give me a minute... I just, I just want to revel in the gloriousness that is a realistic portrayal of a healthy teenaged romance in a YA book.

K.

So, it’s Perry and Aria’s Round 2 and it was damned impressive. There’s just something about those two that really resonates with me. The ending of [b:Under the Never Sky|11594257|Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)|Veronica Rossi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356591725s/11594257.jpg|15093785] was one that stayed with me long after I had moved on to other books. I remember reading the last word and punctuating the moment with a long sigh. I just kind of read and reread that last passage and I believed it. This book follows right along those lines.

I'm so frikkin tired of asshole love interests. Yes, we all love bad boys, but I'm so over the "bad boys" who are little more than aggressive douchebags. Stop it, authors. Stop. Stop it. Fuckin’ stop it. I’m old and bitter gray, by YA standards, so I can easily discern between the good and the bad, but what about the impressionable young girls and young women? You’re teaching them that douchebaggery = hotness. FUCKIN’ STOP IT. I digress.

Perry, by contrast, is a wonderful love interest. He’s kindhearted, loving, lovable, respectful, and honorable. He has his (thankfully short) moments of insecurity, but what 19 year old boy/man doesn’t, on occasion? We get a little more to his backstory in this book. We know that he’s never had it easy, but the specifics of his upbringing are really sad. What I appreciate about his character is that he doesn’t wallow in his “tortured hero” role. Despite facing seemingly insurmountable difficulties, he’s strong and steadfast. I love me some Perry – flaws and all.

Aria also really impressed me this time around. She toughened up by learning to fight and protect herself. She’s no longer the sheltered little dweller of book 1 that needed saving.

Can we talk about Roar? Because I love Roar. I wasn’t a huge fan of [b:Roar and Liv|15754052|Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)|Veronica Rossi|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348137619s/15754052.jpg|21450045]’s short story, but in this book, Roar really shines. His friendship with Perry has always been strong, but it’s his friendship with Aria that really stands out. There’s a poignancy to their friendship that is so moving. In my heart of hearts, I know that they can depend on each other and that they’ll never let each other down. It’s such a nice change from typical books where friends of the hero dislike the heroine. This is a real, solid platonic friendship and it was a pleasure to read. Toss in the fact that Roar is the funniest and most entertaining character and you have a home run.

I didn’t touch upon the story line much, because while it’s entertaining, the characters are where this series really shines. I will say that Rossi pulls no punches and there will be some gasp-worthy moments that will leave you feeling sucker-punched. It can’t all be roses and butterflies, kids.

There will be much to come in book 3, as the ending was left wide open. I, for one, cannot wait.

For more of my reviews, check out my new blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

Hoping to be reunited after months of separation, Aria and Perry are met with hostility by Dweller-resenting Tides before a Aether storm threatens the tribe's existence, forcing Aria to consider leaving Perry to save both their lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible