A Dangerous Talent by Charlotte Elkins

A Dangerous Talent

by Charlotte Elkins, Aaron Elkins

The art world is a complete mystery to me. I could no more tell you what the philosophy is behind an artists work than I could build a rocket...so this mystery about the art world was a good and challenging read for me. I found the book to generally be an easy reading mystery but was not as challenging or tightly written as the mysteries I normally read. The character of Alix London was intelligent and very likable but I was weary of the F.B.I. agent at first. He constantly insisted that Alix was a prime suspect in the murder of an art gallery owner and is probably a forger herself in spite of the fact there was not one shred of evidence to support this assumption. Of course they dislike and distrust each other because they are actually attracted to each other: a bit too much romance for me. The identity of the murderer becomes obvious early in the book, It would have been better if that had been reserved for later...but overall it was a very worthwhile read. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 6, 2017 |
A Fake or Not Fake Georgia O'Keeffe painting?

This is a bit on the light side but good fun nonetheless. Anybody familiar with Roger Ebert's Law of the Economy of Characters will easily guess the twist ending but that doesn't distract from the art & lit trivia dropped throughout this first Alix London, art restorer, mystery adventure in the American Southwest of Georgia O'Keeffe country.

Along with O'Keeffe's Ghost Ranch we travel along to the Mabel Dodge Luhan House in Taos, New Mexico (with the only bathroom window in America painted by writer D.H. Lawrence) and Kit Carson National Park and roads in-between as we join Alix London in tracking down the provenance of a new-to-the-market Georgia O'Keeffe painting with various grifters and schemers in pursuit.

A good read to take along or read in advance if you are planning a vacation to this part of the world. Hint: Book early! Ghost Ranch spots can be few and far between.

Trivia Link
The painting McGuffin is a variation on Ghost Ranch Cliffs ( )
  alanteder | Sep 24, 2017 |
Mildly enjoyable. It reads rather like a cross between the art and the golf mysteries - we have an art expert with an interest in forgeries, who's pretty much a free agent (and thus could show up anywhere), and has a new friend who's a (nouveau) rich, older woman who wants to help her achieve her goals. I do like Alix, and her father and her relationship to him are interesting; the FBI agent is a little annoying and a lot predictable. I don't know much about art, or Georgia O'Keefe; I did recognize the clue when my face was rubbed in it (in an "Oh, yeah, right, I think I've heard that" style). On the other hand, Alix had to have her face rubbed in it too, so I don't feel bad. Mildly interesting setting (Santa Fe area, and Seattle). I'll probably read another one or two; I'm not excited about it, but Elkins (both of them) produce enjoyable light reading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 11, 2016 |
Good start to a series about art forgery and murder. ( )
  majkia | Jan 30, 2016 |
Synopsis: Alix London restores paintings. She also has the connoisseur's eye when it comes to spotting a forgery - she should have since her father was an art forger. She's been asked to evaluate a supposed Georgia O'Keeffe painting, and this seems straightforward enough, until some tries to kill her - twice.
Review: Although this is well written and well plotted, it's fairly obvious what is going to happen, who the killer is, and how the main character is going to become romantically involved with a person from the FBI. However, it was still fun to read. ( )
  DrLed | Dec 9, 2015 |

Elkins, Charlotteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elkins, Aaronmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Alix London, daughter of a convicted art forger, accompanies new collector Christine Lemay to New Mexico to authenticate a supposed Georgia O'Keeffe, which becomes complicated after a bungled theft of the painting reveals a murder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,002,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible