Dragons of the Dwarven Depths by Margaret…

Dragons of the Dwarven Depths

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman

English (12)  Finnish (1)  All languages (13)
Until the second half of the book, I was not impressed and had reviewed this new edition to the dragonlance saga poorly. But Tracy and Margaret seem to just have been warming up. Flat characters in a stale storyline eventually livened up and came into their own and became more than just a stagnant tale to fill in the War of the Lance. I was comforted to be back with old friends, despite the slow start, and towards the end i found myself deeply entrenched in flint and tas, who accomplish perhaps the most important single feat in the War. A good read - I'm pumped to get my hands on the next one. ( )
  jmilloy | Nov 8, 2017 |
It's always good to see old friends. In the first volume of the Lost Chronicles setting between the first and second book of the original Chronicles trilogy the companion of Tanis, Flint, Caramon, Raistlin and Tas are looking after the sealed kingdom of Thornbardin and the powerful artifact, the Hammer of Kharas. Although not as thrilling as the original series, as I said it's always good to see old friends.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Sep 8, 2013 |
If you miss the companions from the first DragonLance novels, this is the book for you. They're all back, as this takes place between the first and second books of the original Chronicles trilogy. Our heroes have freed the slaves at Pax Tharkas and now find themselves with 800 refugees and nowhere to spend the fast approaching winter. It was kind of a fun walk down memory lane, but honestly I'm just not all that interested in Dwarven politics or Tanis's angst. Don't get me wrong - seeing Flint and Tasslehoff bicker is a hoot, and Raistlin's scheming is always fun. I'm just not attached to the original trilogy enough to be drawn back in. ( )
  melydia | May 29, 2013 |
Not being familiar with other installments of the Dragonlance Chronicles, I took this on and am evaluating on a standalone book. I thought the storyline was straight forward. A group of refugees from a draconian prison have escaped and have to flee their caves to the dwarven stronghold in the mountains. Their draconian pursuers chase them to the mountains. When they reach it, there is treachery afoot with some of the dwarves. The main plotline that breaks out of this is the dwarf Flint must find the fabled Hammer of Kharas. The plot was, although simple, well-thought out. There was sufficient action and intrigue, but I wasn’t wowed by the characters. Sturm the knight was a caricature. Raistlin the mage was one of the weakest wizards I’ve come across. His brother had about as much personality as a sack of potatoes, and Tasslehoff was the worst character I’ve seen since Jar Jar Binks. I can’t compare this to other books in the series and how it falls into all of it, but it was reasonably entertaining, just not exceptional in any way.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 13, 2013 |
Dwarven Depths is a standalone novel featuring the all-star Companions from the original Dragons sequence. The timeline is set between the first two books and features a quest for the mystical Hammer of Kharas and a trip to Thorbardin, the sealed home of the dwarves. The material is rather lighthearted, as is the tone, making this Dragons book easy on the tension and emotions, which are clear strengths of Weis & Hickman in their previous work. Dwarven Depths feels like a short story and although completists will lap it up, as a singular novel it doesn't represent the strength of their previous work. ( )
  SonicQuack | Oct 17, 2010 |

Weis, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickman, Tracymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to the memory of my father, George Edward Weis, this book is lovingly dedicated. --Margaret Weis
To all those whose sacrifices are praised only in the heavens. --Tracy Hickman
Standing over the bloody body of the fallen Dragon Highlord Verminaard, the aurak draconian, Dray-yan, saw his destiny flare before him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786942614, Mass Market Paperback)

Tanis Half-Elven... Flint Fireforge... Tasslehoff Burfoot... the classic Dragonlance characters are back!

Picking up where the first book of the classic Dragonlance Chronicles left off, this tale follows the Companions of the Lance on their adventures following the rescue of the refugees of Pax Tharkas. Flint and Tanis Half-Elven travel to the dwarven kingdom of Thorbardin, while the rest of the Companions confront challenges of their own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

After slaying the Dragon Highlord Verminaard and saving the refugees from Pax, Tanis and Flint are sent to search for the long-lost dwarven kingdom of Thorbardin seeking winter shelter for the refugees. There, Flint faces a test in which he must make a choice that may decide the future of Krynn.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,874,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible