Toast by Nigel Slater

Toast (2003)

by Nigel Slater

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Coming of age with memories related to food. Bittersweet. Funny. Joyful!
    Paperboy by Christopher Fowler (nessreader)
    nessreader: both use obsolescent brand names to evoke the past, describe a circumscribed and very english childhood, and make comedy out of pain.

English (47)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (49)
A raw, engrossing, and sometimes uncomfortable memoir by a British chef. It covers his childhood and teenage years as though he's reliving them, recounting events with the same naivete and unconscious cruelty that he had at the time. The Britain he remembers is alien to me, with strange brand names (Fry's Chocolate Creams, Old English Spangles, Walnut Whip), dishes I've never heard of (parsley sauce? Victoria sponge? cheese footballs?) and class markers I don't recognize. It's really, really well written--I only wish it had covered more of Slater's own forays into cooking. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A lovely little book that works on many levels. Basically, Nigel Slater tells of his childhood by reminiscing about various foods that are associated with incidents in his life. As with all his writing, the food is lovingly described. What is surprising is the descriptions of his childhood. Equally well written, but surprising in it's frankness and in some of the incidents encountered.....

We hear of his relationship with his parents, the loss of his mother, the arrival of and relationship with his step-mother, his sexual awakening and encounters, but most of all he describes the era and it's food (also dated by the times) and his relationship with food and it's preparation. Oh & I can wholeheartedly understand and concur with his hatred of eggs ;-) ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Slater's Toast awoke in me so many past food feelings from my own childhood not just from his sumptuous descriptions of his own past life but because of the proximity our lives shared in the fact that we were raised in towns barely eight miles apart and are within two years of being the same age. The descriptions of past memories of sweets reminded me so much of my childhood, and I think would resonant more with a British audience than American.
My mother, as his, did not enjoy the preparation of food, and while for Slater that led to a life of exploration in food, for me not so much. This is why I enjoyed this book. Not only is it a tell-all tale of a youth hungering for the love of a father that was only occasionally available but one of a life of exuberance, a life that becomes filled with the joy of finding your niche in life and wallowing in it wholeheartedly. If only we all could find that space in our life.
Slater normally writes books on cooking, with recipes, so this was a brave soul-searching stab at a new venture that lets us in on why he is so good at what he does. ( )
For Digger, Magrath and Poppy

with love

In memory of Elvie 1902-2002

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143057146, Audio CD)

‘My mother is scraping a piece of burned toast out of the kitchen window, a crease of annoyance across her forehead. This is not an occasional occurrence. My mother burns the toast as surely as the sun rises each morning.’‘Toast’ is Nigel Slater’s award-winning biography of a childhood remembered through food. Whether recalling his mother’s surprisingly good rice pudding, his father’s bold foray into spaghetti and his dreaded Boxing Day stew, or such culinary highlights as Arctic Roll and Grilled Grapefruit (then considered something of a status symbol in Wolverhampton), this remarkable memoir vividly recreates daily life in 1960s suburban England.Likes and dislikes, aversions and sweet-toothed weaknesses form a fascinating backdrop to Nigel Slater’s incredibly moving and deliciously evocative portrait of childhood, adolescence and sexual awakening.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:26 -0400)

This is Nigel Slater's truly extraordinary story of his childhood remembered through food. Nigel's likes and dislikes, aversions and sweet-toothed weaknesses form a fascinating and often amusing backdrop to this incredibly moving and evocative memoir of childhood, adolescence and sexual awakening.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1 books! | Top bar: Always visible