Winter Journal by Paul Auster

Winter Journal (2012)

by Paul Auster

The collected stories of Lydia Davis by Lydia Davis (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Lydia Davis ware die erste Ehefrau von Paul Auster, die er in seiner Autobiografie allerdings nicht beim Namen nennt.
    The shaking woman, or, A history of my nerves by Siri Hustvedt (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Siri Hustvedt ist die zweite Eherfrau von Paul Auster, der er in diesen Memoiren huldigt (auch wenn es in diesen Memoiren eigentlich um seine Eltern geht). Ihre Nervenprobleme werden nicht weiter angesprochen, die Breite ihres Interesses auch außerhalb der Belletristik jedoch hervorgehoben.… (more)
    Paul Auster - Harte Texte, weiche Menschen by Du (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Die Du-Ausgabe enthält z.B. Fotos der Straßen, die im Winter-Journal als Aufzählung seiner verschiedensten Wohnorte beschrieben werden sowie ergänzend verschiedene Interviews.

English (28)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (43)
Loving his novels, I thought this slim memoir might be "spare fare" from Paul Auster, but I was (once again) completely taken with the world he creates. He manages the second person narration with skill and delves deep into himself without seeming deeply self-indulgent. Glad to see there's a companion volume coming out next Fall. There's a reason that I've read 15 other Auster books...I'd be happy to read 15 more. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Paul Auster's books take me to unfamiliar places of the mind yet usually leave me unsatisfied and slightly puzzled. I like the way "Winter Journal" is organized and can tolerate the "you", but the 2nd person distanced my feelings rather than embodying them.

The long lists of bodily sensations lack the luster of the lyrical descriptions to be found in David Mitchell's "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet". See Whitaker's masterful review of that book for a detailed analysis.

Best line is a quote from T. L.Eliot, who held up his hand in front of a woman who had asked to shake it and asked her "Madam, do you know where this hand has been?" Oh, the images. ( )
  Jeannine504 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Auster's second memoir was interesting, if a bit weird. Who writes a memoir in second person? I am sure, knowing the profound nature of his novels, that Auster has a reason, but it was distracting to me. Frankly, the last third was the most interesting. Auster compares writing to dance, and both of them to expressions of the heart rhythm. Love that part of it! Auster is one of my favorite authors, but this fell short of my expectations. ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 31, 2014 |
Winter Journal is Paul Auster revealing himself. He swoops down into the darkest (and lightest) bits of him and PRESTO we have the inner workings of an excellent artistic writer. I decided to audio book this because Auster reads the book himself, giving you the perfect tone and inflection. The "journal" is done in second person which pulls you right into his life. He sets the mood for each setting so well, I could close my eyes and imagine I was right in the middle of his life. I feel like I should have more to say about this book (especially since it has now become a "favorite")but I think you'll have to read it yourself to experience the magic it holds. However, I do recommend listening to it on audio if you have the option. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
In which Paul Auster demonstrates that, at 64, he is totally in control of his craft. A masterly, and engrossing account of what should be quite personal material not necessarily interesting to anyone outside his family. I found it hard to put down.

This is an non linear memoir, not quite autobiography, but more his memories of significant parts of his life. The section where he describes every address he's ever lived at, is particularly moving. As are the recollections of his mother who sounds like an enormous influence (his father, not so much). There is a lot of honestly in there as well, although whether some of the people mentioned, such as his first wife, would necessarily appreciate that honesty, is another matter.

Auster's fiction has not been as sharp, at least for me, as when at is peak (which for me is about 10 years ago at the time of The Brooklyn Follies, The Book of Illusions and Oracle Night). Perhaps he will never write outstanding fiction again. But as an autobiographer he's outstanding. I shall now go and buy the companion volume, Notes From The Interior ( )
  Opinionated | Jul 5, 2014 |

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Du tror at det aldrig vil ske for dig, at det ikke kan ske for dig, at du er det eneste menneske i verden for hvem ingen af disse ting nogensinde vi ske, og så, en efter en, begynder de at ske ......

Facing his sixty-third winter, novelist Auster sits down to write a history of his body and its sensations. He takes us from childhood to the brink of old age as he summons a universe of physical sensation, of pleasures and pains, moving from the awakening of sexual desire to the ever deepening bonds of married love; from meditations on eating and sleeping to an account of his mother's sudden death.… (more)

74 wanted6 pay2 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Winter Journal by Paul Auster was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,250,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible