Winter Journal by Paul Auster

Winter Journal (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Paul Auster

Member:rmckeown
Title:Winter Journal
Authors:Paul Auster
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2012), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:biography, uncorrected proof

Winter Journal by Paul Auster (2012)

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis by Lydia Davis (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Lydia Davis ware die erste Ehefrau von Paul Auster, die er in seiner Autobiografie allerdings nicht beim Namen nennt.
    The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves by Siri Hustvedt (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Siri Hustvedt ist die zweite Ehefrau von Paul Auster, der er in diesen Memoiren huldigt (auch wenn es in diesen Memoiren eigentlich um seine Eltern geht). Ihre Nervenprobleme werden nicht weiter angesprochen, die Breite ihres Interesses auch außerhalb der Belletristik jedoch hervorgehoben.… (more)
    Paul Auster - Harte Texte, weiche Menschen by Du (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Die Du-Ausgabe enthält z.B. Fotos der Straßen, die im Winter-Journal als Aufzählung seiner verschiedensten Wohnorte beschrieben werden sowie ergänzend verschiedene Interviews.

English (30)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  German (1)  All (47)
Great audio book, read by the author. An interesting memoir, told in the 2nd person. Don't let this put you off. It its easy to adjust to and has the added benefit of pointing out many of the similarities all our lives share. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Excellently written memoir of the author, who is 64, reviewing his regrets, experiences and dreams from youth to "old age." Some great wisdom for Baby Boomers approaching the "winter" of their lives. "How many mornings are left?" ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
Loving his novels, I thought this slim memoir might be "spare fare" from Paul Auster, but I was (once again) completely taken with the world he creates. He manages the second person narration with skill and delves deep into himself without seeming deeply self-indulgent. Glad to see there's a companion volume coming out next Fall. There's a reason that I've read 15 other Auster books...I'd be happy to read 15 more. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Paul Auster's books take me to unfamiliar places of the mind yet usually leave me unsatisfied and slightly puzzled. I like the way "Winter Journal" is organized and can tolerate the "you", but the 2nd person distanced my feelings rather than embodying them.

The long lists of bodily sensations lack the luster of the lyrical descriptions to be found in David Mitchell's "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet". See Whitaker's masterful review of that book for a detailed analysis.

Best line is a quote from T. L.Eliot, who held up his hand in front of a woman who had asked to shake it and asked her "Madam, do you know where this hand has been?" Oh, the images. ( )
  Jeannine504 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Auster's second memoir was interesting, if a bit weird. Who writes a memoir in second person? I am sure, knowing the profound nature of his novels, that Auster has a reason, but it was distracting to me. Frankly, the last third was the most interesting. Auster compares writing to dance, and both of them to expressions of the heart rhythm. Love that part of it! Auster is one of my favorite authors, but this fell short of my expectations. ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 31, 2014 |

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Du tror at det aldrig vil ske for dig, at det ikke kan ske for dig, at du er det eneste menneske i verden for hvem ingen af disse ting nogensinde vi ske, og så, en efter en, begynder de at ske ......

Facing his sixty-third winter, novelist Auster sits down to write a history of his body and its sensations. He takes us from childhood to the brink of old age as he summons a universe of physical sensation, of pleasures and pains, moving from the awakening of sexual desire to the ever deepening bonds of married love; from meditations on eating and sleeping to an account of his mother's sudden death.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Auster's book Winter Journal was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible