Winter Journal by Paul Auster

Winter Journal (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Paul Auster

Member:Anicca2000
Title:Winter Journal
Authors:Paul Auster
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 240 pages

Winter Journal by Paul Auster (2012)

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis by Lydia Davis (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Lydia Davis ware die erste Ehefrau von Paul Auster, die er in seiner Autobiografie allerdings nicht beim Namen nennt.
    The Shaking Woman or A History of My Nerves by Siri Hustvedt (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Siri Hustvedt ist die zweite Ehefrau von Paul Auster, der er in diesen Memoiren huldigt (auch wenn es in diesen Memoiren eigentlich um seine Eltern geht). Ihre Nervenprobleme werden nicht weiter angesprochen, die Breite ihres Interesses auch außerhalb der Belletristik jedoch hervorgehoben.… (more)
    Paul Auster - Harte Texte, weiche Menschen by Du (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Die Du-Ausgabe enthält z.B. Fotos der Straßen, die im Winter-Journal als Aufzählung seiner verschiedensten Wohnorte beschrieben werden sowie ergänzend verschiedene Interviews.

English (31)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  German (1)  All languages (49)
I won this book through the first-reads program.

"Impressive" is the word that came immediately into my mind when I first finished this book. [b:Winter Journal|13330466|Winter Journal|Paul Auster|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333579287s/13330466.jpg|18318883] is just what the title says it is - a rather poetic memoir about the author (author: Paul Auster) as he enters the sixty fourth year of his life.

The scope of the memoir is large, and its writing is largely poetic in nature. He follows no particular chronology, but rather writes in a stream-of-conscious. One incident recalls another, and slowly the pieces fall into place. By the end of the book you are left with a deeper understanding of the author, or maybe more accurately, a deeper understanding of how [a:Paul Auster|296961|Paul Auster|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1287451428p2/296961.jpg] has in a large way failed to understand himself, in spite of his rather thorough understanding of the people around him.

[b:Winter Journal|13330466|Winter Journal|Paul Auster|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333579287s/13330466.jpg|18318883] is based primarily on the physical memory. One scar tells one story, while the bitter cold of winter might recall another. [a:Paul Auster|296961|Paul Auster|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1287451428p2/296961.jpg] seems to have grasped what Roger Waters meant when he penned the lyric "All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" and taken it to heart.

[b:Winter Journal|13330466|Winter Journal|Paul Auster|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333579287s/13330466.jpg|18318883] is an impressive book, a beautifully written one, and the type of memoir that I generally enjoy reading. I'm torn between giving it three stars or four, but in the end, wound up with three simply because in spite of how much I did genuninely enjoy the book it never quite stirred up in me the affection for the narrator and the events of his life that I wanted it to. I still felt detached by the end, which might even be the point of the book itself. We never get as close as we want to. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Great audio book, read by the author. An interesting memoir, told in the 2nd person. Don't let this put you off. It its easy to adjust to and has the added benefit of pointing out many of the similarities all our lives share. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Excellently written memoir of the author, who is 64, reviewing his regrets, experiences and dreams from youth to "old age." Some great wisdom for Baby Boomers approaching the "winter" of their lives. "How many mornings are left?" ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
Loving his novels, I thought this slim memoir might be "spare fare" from Paul Auster, but I was (once again) completely taken with the world he creates. He manages the second person narration with skill and delves deep into himself without seeming deeply self-indulgent. Glad to see there's a companion volume coming out next Fall. There's a reason that I've read 15 other Auster books...I'd be happy to read 15 more. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Paul Auster's books take me to unfamiliar places of the mind yet usually leave me unsatisfied and slightly puzzled. I like the way "Winter Journal" is organized and can tolerate the "you", but the 2nd person distanced my feelings rather than embodying them.

The long lists of bodily sensations lack the luster of the lyrical descriptions to be found in David Mitchell's "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet". See Whitaker's masterful review of that book for a detailed analysis.

Best line is a quote from T. L.Eliot, who held up his hand in front of a woman who had asked to shake it and asked her "Madam, do you know where this hand has been?" Oh, the images. ( )
  Jeannine504 | Jan 23, 2016 |

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Du tror at det aldrig vil ske for dig, at det ikke kan ske for dig, at du er det eneste menneske i verden for hvem ingen af disse ting nogensinde vi ske, og så, en efter en, begynder de at ske ......
You think it will never happen to you, that it cannot happen to you, that you are the only person in the world to whom none of these things will ever happen, and then, one by one, they all begin to happen to you, in the same way they happen to everyone else.
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Facing his sixty-third winter, novelist Auster sits down to write a history of his body and its sensations. He takes us from childhood to the brink of old age as he summons a universe of physical sensation, of pleasures and pains, moving from the awakening of sexual desire to the ever deepening bonds of married love; from meditations on eating and sleeping to an account of his mother's sudden death.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Auster's book Winter Journal was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,267,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible