Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

Tigers in Red Weather

by Liza Klaussmann

Tigers in Red Weather is a novel about the lives of two cousins, Nick and Helena, and their families. It takes place from 1945 to 1969 and is told from the points of view of five different characters. Most of the story takes place on Martha's Vineyard at the summer cottage called Tiger House. The characters live dysfunctional lives that become frightfully intertwined. The title of the book refers to a poem by Wallace Stevens and I believe it stands for both the danger and excitement in the lives of the main characters. The book covers a gamut of topics which are important because each one brings the reader closer to knowing the individual behind the character. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
As I sit here pondering what type of review I should write, I feel like that is as big a mystery as the book. This book seemed to be disjointed with the story being told by the different characters in the book. Each chapter is labeled with the year, however, I was never able to get into the rythem of the story telling.

In my opinion, there was no consistency and the first couple of pages of each chapter had me trying to figure out where we were and how we got there. Once I did that, the story flowed. But to start each chapter in this manner was a bit frustrating.

Many thanks to Little Brown and Company Publishing along with Net Galley for the advanced readers copy.

PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
This is great for summer reading. The story is a little lightweight (though richer than what you might initially expect), and the writing itself is only average. But it's a quick read, entertaining, and it's even set during summer months. I was torn between 2 and 3 stars, but marked it down because it seemed slightly unfinished, like a gelatin salad that needs an extra hour in the 'fridge. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |

"Beyond here be dragons" ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Book on CD read by Katherine Kellgren

Cousins Nick and Helena grew up spending idyllic summers at Tiger House, the family’s estate on Martha’s Vineyard. As World War 2 ends, the two young women are about to begin their “real” lives – Helena is off to Hollywood and a new marriage to producer Avery Lewis, while Nick travels to Florida to reunite with her husband Hughes Derringer, home from the war. But reality doesn’t meet their expectations. Twelve years later, the cousins – along with their children Daisy and Ed – try to recapture their memories by once again spending the summer at Tiger House. But when Daisy and Ed make a gruesome discovery, the secrets and lies that each family member thought were safely buried begin to push to the surface.

This is Klaussmann’s debut and I see a nugget of a good novel here. But the execution falters. The dialogue is tortured. And the fractured timeline and changes in point of view do little to help the story arc. Klaussmann gives the reader some clues … dividing the book into sections titled with the character from whose point of view events will be relayed: Nick, Daisy, Helena, Hughes, Ed, and heading each chapter with the year and month. However, within the chapters events go back and forth in time as the character reflects on things. So, a chapter might be titled 1947: February, but some events relayed may have taken place months or years previously. I’m sure the author intended that this device would help build suspense, but mostly it just confused me. By the time the big reveal takes place I didn’t care, I just wanted the book to end.

Katherine Kellgren’s performance on the audio does nothing to help the novel. She has a tendency to be overly dramatic when voicing the characters. I wound up reading the text for more than half the novel. ZERO stars for the audio performance. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 3, 2017 |
To my grandmother, for the bravery.
And to the rest of my family for everything else.
I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse," Helena said.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316211338, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2012: It’s the end of World War II, and cousins Nick and Helena part ways for the first time. Helena is moving to Hollywood and getting married; Nick goes to Florida with her veteran husband, Hughes. The women soon realize that their lives don’t match their dreams, but it takes more than twelve years and their children finding a murder victim to jar them out of their complacency. Liza Klaussmann layers the story with the distinct viewpoints of Nick, her daughter Daisy, Hughes, Helena, and Helena’s son Ed. From wartime London in the 1940s to the family beach estate, Tiger House, in the late 1960s, each character brings their own baggage to the story of a family unraveling. Secret fears, desires, and relationships come to light as facades are worn away. The unsolved murder soon becomes just one of many mysteries swirling around the Tiger House, building suspense all the way to the startling conclusion. --Malissa Kent

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

"Nick and her cousin, Helena, have grown up sharing sultry summer heat, sunbleached boat docks, and midnight gin parties on Martha's Vineyard in a glorious old family estate known as Tiger House. In the days following the end of the Second World War, the world seems to offer itself up, and the two women are on the cusp of their 'real lives': Helena is off to Hollywood and a new marriage, while Nick is heading for a reunion with her own young husband, Hughes, about to return from the war. Soon the gilt begins to crack. Helena's husband is not the man he seemed to be, and Hughes has returned from the war distant, his inner light curtained over. On the brink of the 1960s, back at Tiger House, Nick and Helena--with their children, Daisy and Ed--try to recapture that sense of possibility. But when Daisy and Ed discover the victim of a brutal murder, the intrusion of violence causes everything to unravel. The members of the family spin out of their prescribed orbits, secrets come to light, and nothing about their lives will ever be the same. Brilliantly told from five points of view, with a magical elegance and suspenseful dark longing, Tigers in Red Weather is an unforgettable debut novel from a writer of extraordinary insight and accomplishment"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,823,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible