Tigers in Red Weather

Info:Macmillan Hardback Omes, Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:historical fiction, family, WWII, murder

Tigers in Red Weather: A Novel by Liza Klaussmann

Finished in summer 2014 ( )
  ACrain | Jul 15, 2014 |
I just finished this novel..as in just finished it five minutes ago. I absolutely loved it! The story of two cousins (and their respective families) spanning three decades is told through the perspectives of five characters. Each narrator has their own section of the novel. We meet, Nick, just as WWII has ended. She (yes, Nick is a woman. The name through me off a few times) is the first narrator and introduces us to life at "Tiger House" and some of the main events in the story. After Nick's section, four more narrators take their turn.

While the looming event of the book is the brutal murder of a young woman on their New England island, the story really is about the choices we make and how they can have lasting effects on those around us. I loved reading about the thoughts and reasons behind some of the characters choices. While the story is mainly about family dynamics, the question of the murder adds a nice bit of suspense which lead to a thrilling admission at the end of the book. Klaussman simply slipped the admission in as a thought, just one little sentence that could easily be overlooked. I found myself stopping and re-reading that line a second and third time just to see if it really meant what I had thought it meant.

Lisa Klaussman is a gifted writer. I've always loved novels that switch narrators and time periods. The way that she was able to consistently revisit different events from five points of view was amazing! I received this book as an advanced reading copy (ARC) from a goodreads.com giveaway. I'm so glad I did. Intrigued by the cover, I might have picked up the book while at the bookstore but I'm not sure if I would have brought it home with me. The publishing date was set for July 2012 and when I checked B&N, it did appear to be available online (in book format and e-reader format). If you are looking for that perfect summer read...Tigers in Red Weather is it! And if you read it, be sure to tell me what you think.

*also reviewed on http://www.underagraysky.com ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
Strangers in the house & in the family. This was all about a twisted family & the time they summered over the years at their rambling house on the Vineyard. I liked the story & it was certainly engaging, peopled with characters that I didn't like but was fascinated to spend time with. The story was told through the perspectives of the five main characters and I must admit that I was sorry to never get Avery's side. I still don't know quite what to think of him. Daisy's portion was a bit tedious after a while but I had to keep reminding myself that she's twelve in her portion & her perception of what's going on around her may be dim. Nick, Hughes & Ed had the most interesting parts & honestly, I felt so badly for Helena that it distracted me a bit while reading her section.

As to the murder mystery B-plot, I can't say that I cared much. I mean, it happens, there's some chat about it, there's the not so subtle hint that Ed knows more about it than the adults really want to know & then it's not so much a big deal. At least not in any way that makes one pine to know what really happened to Elena Nunes & who is the murderer. It comes out but it's less interesting than the toll it's taken on the characters in the story. What's far more fascinating is the family dynamics that play out & the culmination of years of this insanity.

Definitely worth reading over my weekend. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
This book came highly publicized, which should have been a warning to me, but I ignored it in the vain hope that I'd find something redeeming in the novel. However, unlikeable characters, an almost complete lack of plot or plotting technique, and a clumsy hand with period detail all make this a perfect example of the New York "intelligentsia" overhyping one of their own. It's wholly unsatisfying. If this is what's coming out of creative writing programs at modern universities, I'll stick with the classics. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
An excellent debut (I believe) by Liza Klaussman. An intriguing and often beautiful read. Set over 2 decades, events are revealed through 5 different character narratives. The book is not set chronologically but Klaussman pulls it off with absolute ease.

My one complaint is that this book had many shadows of the incomparable Gatsby. Despite being set 30-40 years after Gatsby. It was something I couldn't shake off while reading it. I'm not sure if this was intentional by Klaussman or not.

All in all, a very good novel. Worth a read. I look forward to what she produces next. ( )
  ElaineRuss | Sep 23, 2013 |
To my grandmother, for the bravery.
And to the rest of my family for everything else.
I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse," Helena said.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316211338, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2012: It’s the end of World War II, and cousins Nick and Helena part ways for the first time. Helena is moving to Hollywood and getting married; Nick goes to Florida with her veteran husband, Hughes. The women soon realize that their lives don’t match their dreams, but it takes more than twelve years and their children finding a murder victim to jar them out of their complacency. Liza Klaussmann layers the story with the distinct viewpoints of Nick, her daughter Daisy, Hughes, Helena, and Helena’s son Ed. From wartime London in the 1940s to the family beach estate, Tiger House, in the late 1960s, each character brings their own baggage to the story of a family unraveling. Secret fears, desires, and relationships come to light as facades are worn away. The unsolved murder soon becomes just one of many mysteries swirling around the Tiger House, building suspense all the way to the startling conclusion. --Malissa Kent

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:56 -0400)

"Nick and her cousin, Helena, have grown up sharing sultry summer heat, sunbleached boat docks, and midnight gin parties on Martha's Vineyard in a glorious old family estate known as Tiger House. In the days following the end of the Second World War, the world seems to offer itself up, and the two women are on the cusp of their 'real lives': Helena is off to Hollywood and a new marriage, while Nick is heading for a reunion with her own young husband, Hughes, about to return from the war. Soon the gilt begins to crack. Helena's husband is not the man he seemed to be, and Hughes has returned from the war distant, his inner light curtained over. On the brink of the 1960s, back at Tiger House, Nick and Helena--with their children, Daisy and Ed--try to recapture that sense of possibility. But when Daisy and Ed discover the victim of a brutal murder, the intrusion of violence causes everything to unravel. The members of the family spin out of their prescribed orbits, secrets come to light, and nothing about their lives will ever be the same. Brilliantly told from five points of view, with a magical elegance and suspenseful dark longing, Tigers in Red Weather is an unforgettable debut novel from a writer of extraordinary insight and accomplishment"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,479,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible