Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

Tigers in Red Weather (edition 2012)

by Liza Klaussmann, Katherine Kellgren (Narrator)

Member:inwestcliffe
Title:Tigers in Red Weather
Authors:Liza Klaussmann
Other authors:Katherine Kellgren (Narrator)
Info:Findaway World (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:***

Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

Wasn't impressed with the writing or the characters. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Two female cousins are very close when they are kids. The book follows their relationship into adulthood, including husbands, kids and plenty of associated drama. They definitely aren't as close as the were. An interesting exploration of relationships, the perceptions of privileged people and the thinking of a psychopath. Though, not a thriller, there is a dark edge to it. I really enjoyed meeting all of the characters and exploring their personalities and relationships. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
  jwood652 | Oct 21, 2015 |
I picked this book up partly because of the good reviews but also out of a petty desire to see if the author had gotten her location details right (I live on the Vineyard). I soon realized that the book was so intimately about the family that very little of the world around it mattered much, and that with one trivial exception (she wrote "Vineyard Haven lighthouse" instead of "West Chop light") the smattering of local details were correct. I couldn't really judge the feeling of the society because Edgartown summer people are not my crowd (though I've worked for some of them, briefly).

The book was very well written, but I should have read the description more closely. It's a family saga with a lot of creepiness -- not a genre I normally enjoy. Most of the characters were despicable but vivid and at least partly sympathetic. I stayed up late to finish it because I had to see how it turned out, reading the last 80 pages after my initial attempt at lights out. My mother once said, "I don't like to hear about murders happening here, even if they're in fiction," and I feel the same, but if that doesn't bother you then go ahead and dive in. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
This is a tricky one.

None of the characters are particularly sympathetic, and there's no one to really root for--they are their own worst enemies. I certainly couldn't identify with any of them, and I hope not many people would!

The device of having each chapter be from another character's perspective (and jumping around in time, no less) makes the story seem more significant/complex than it is. I think that if the story had been told in straight linear time, with a third-person omniscient narrator, or even in the first person voice that appears at the very end of the book, its flaws would be more apparent.

The men and boys don't come off very well in this one, do they? All but one of the main male characters are philanderers/emotional abusers, and 2 of them are murderers. Then again, the 3 women aren't much better: we have 2 adulterers, one of whom is also an addict; and the women generally do nothing but compete against each other in various ways. The book passes the Bechdel test, but that's not saying much for this one.

I would probably recommend this melodrama to people who liked The Great Gatsby. The only thing it lacked was an illicit pregnancy. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
To my grandmother, for the bravery.
And to the rest of my family for everything else.
I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse," Helena said.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316211338, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2012: It’s the end of World War II, and cousins Nick and Helena part ways for the first time. Helena is moving to Hollywood and getting married; Nick goes to Florida with her veteran husband, Hughes. The women soon realize that their lives don’t match their dreams, but it takes more than twelve years and their children finding a murder victim to jar them out of their complacency. Liza Klaussmann layers the story with the distinct viewpoints of Nick, her daughter Daisy, Hughes, Helena, and Helena’s son Ed. From wartime London in the 1940s to the family beach estate, Tiger House, in the late 1960s, each character brings their own baggage to the story of a family unraveling. Secret fears, desires, and relationships come to light as facades are worn away. The unsolved murder soon becomes just one of many mysteries swirling around the Tiger House, building suspense all the way to the startling conclusion. --Malissa Kent

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

"Nick and her cousin, Helena, have grown up sharing sultry summer heat, sunbleached boat docks, and midnight gin parties on Martha's Vineyard in a glorious old family estate known as Tiger House. In the days following the end of the Second World War, the world seems to offer itself up, and the two women are on the cusp of their 'real lives': Helena is off to Hollywood and a new marriage, while Nick is heading for a reunion with her own young husband, Hughes, about to return from the war. Soon the gilt begins to crack. Helena's husband is not the man he seemed to be, and Hughes has returned from the war distant, his inner light curtained over. On the brink of the 1960s, back at Tiger House, Nick and Helena--with their children, Daisy and Ed--try to recapture that sense of possibility. But when Daisy and Ed discover the victim of a brutal murder, the intrusion of violence causes everything to unravel. The members of the family spin out of their prescribed orbits, secrets come to light, and nothing about their lives will ever be the same. Brilliantly told from five points of view, with a magical elegance and suspenseful dark longing, Tigers in Red Weather is an unforgettable debut novel from a writer of extraordinary insight and accomplishment"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible