Ten Healthy Teas by Valerie B Lull

Ten Healthy Teas (edition 2012)

by Valerie B Lull

Rating:****1/2

Ten Healthy Teas by Valerie B Lull

No tags.

Description:

What does your tea do for you? Does it soothe arthritic pains and sore throats, settle nausea, aid in circulation, detoxify the liver, improve memory, calm nerves, inhibit bacteria, lower blood pressure, fight the flu, speed up weight loss, heal hemorrhoids, make birthing bearable, or fight against Cancer? If not, here are some healthy and delicious teas that can! Teas include: Ginger, Garlic, Green, Black, Chamomile, Cranberry, Peppermint, Raspberry, Goldenseal, Echinacea,and Lemon.

Review:

Living with a British grandmother, I am quite partial to teas, both hot and cold. I have been brought up drinking Orange Pekoe, Green, English Breakfast, Peppermint, and recently, Hibiscus teas; so when I saw this book, I knew I was interested. The cover is inviting, just like Valerie B. Lull's writing style, and although the book is small, (around forty-one pages), the content makes Ten Healthy Teas a worthwhile read. With over thirty tea recipes, their histories, and a few tea drinker's tips, this short guide is surprisingly full of great info, especially about how drinkers can benefit from the herbal properties of each tea. I never knew that Lemon and Goldenseal teas detoxified the kidneys and liver; or that Garlic tea could improve cholesterol levels. Overall, it is a great resource; I am surprised that Hibiscus tea isn't mentioned though, it is filled with antioxidants and is quite delicious! Highly recommended for tea lovers and those looking for a tasty break from the ordinary.

Rating: On the Run (4.5/5)

*** I received this book from the author (Bostick Communications) in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Apr 15, 2012 |
I'm a tea lover. I often drink hot tea in lieu of coffee or soda, and have been known to use tea to stave off cravings for sweets. I use peppermint tea to ease my unsettled stomach. I also have some experience with herbs, tinctures, aromatherapy, and the like. I spent a couple of years absorbing everything I could get on it back in my late 20s. I even made my own tea bag mixtures (using tea bags that were sealed shut with an iron!) and my own ginger capsules that I used for motion sickness when riding the ferry to Seattle. But now, a dozen years later, I am trying to get back to basics-- healthy eating, exercise, natural medicine.

I've picked up quite a bit of knowledge in my personal studies, but one new one for me was Garlic Tea. While I am quite familiar with the medicinal properties of garlic, I never even considered making a tea out of it!

The book is organized into ten write-ups about a special ingredient to be used for teas "that are good for you". Each write-up explains how the tea is used, what it treats, any precautions or guidelines, recipes and "Tea Tips".

My final word: This book is a good introduction into the use of herbs for the beginner just starting out. Teas are easy to make. Just a cup of water in a microwave and a tea bag is all that is needed to reap the health benefits that herbs have to offer. ( )
  nfmgirl2 | Mar 22, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible