The One Penny Orange Mystery by Morris…

The One Penny Orange Mystery (edition 2011)

by Morris Ackerman

Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Stamps

The One Penny Orange Mystery by Morris Ackerman

Recently added byAmandaKerr, AnglersRest

I was intrigued with I saw this book , and reminded of happy memories of 40 years ago when my Grandfather put a 1p British stamp into a matchbox and told me to see if I could find any others amongst a pile of envelopes.

The book made it's way across the Atlantic and I was fairly impatient to start reading. I did early this week and finished it a day or so ago.

There was a real sense of innocence about this book. The storyline and the characters and I knew within a page or two that I was going to enjoy it.

The character names are great, a play on the world of stamp collecting, which all starts when an British Official who spent many years working for the Government, first in India then in Mauritius fleas the start of an uprising taking with him a set of old historical papers.

The character, which has the wonderful name of Major Edward Postmark returns to Mauritius after some years to the house which he owns to sell up before returning to England. He sorts through his belongings in the house and comes across the pile of papers he recalls fleeing the embassy with years before. Amongst the papers is the One Penny Orange Stamp which is the catalyst of the whole mystery.

What follows through the rest of the pages is the valuation and then eventual sale of the stamp alas it is not without its problems. The author introduces readers to a series of characters, the stamp authenticator, stamp dealer, security agents and rather enthusiastic stamp collectors. Also thrown into the mix is a few red herrings. All of these individuals wish to own a valuable stamp, and some are prepared to regardless of the stakes.

The mystery structure was a good one, I certainly did not solve the who done it before the end of the book. This was a great book, with a strong storyline and none of the violence that perhaps might have wielded into the pages. It was a gentle page turner and it is this gentleness that had an innocence about it which I enjoyed.

This has potential for the start of a series, perhaps involving a Two Pence Stamp, but we will have to wait and see, but I do hope so. I loved this book and is certainly one of the favourites for the year.

The book which I do recommend is available from Amazon US, UK and Book Depository

Disclaimer - I was provided with a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  AnglersRest | Mar 23, 2013 |

In this intriguing mystery, collectors jet across globe to nab million dollar stamp. The theft of a rare stamp that dates from colonial-era Mauritius ignites a worldwide search for its recovery in “The One Penny Orange Mystery” by Morris Ackerman.

Ackerman dives into the intrigue and passions that power the little known world of elite stamp collecting. In this mystery, several renowned collectors pursue an exceedingly rare stamp that was stolen during an auction in Washington, D.C. Valued at over $1 million, the coveted piece of postage comes from the remote island nation of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean, once a colonial island and now a tropical resort.

Like many valuable stamps, the one penny orange derives its exorbitant price from an engraver’s error. When the British wrested control of Mauritius from the French in the 19th century, the new government issued the eponymous orange stamp to mark the first colonial stamp issued outside of Britain. The novel’s protagonist, Edward Postmark, a former colonial military attaché, returns to Mauritius and finds a copy of the one penny orange. He puts it up for sale at a well-known auction house in Washington, DC, not realizing its discovery makes stamp collectors green with envy, so much so that it is stolen during the auction. Soon, a worldwide search for this elusive bit of paper has commenced in full. Beyond its page-turning plot, “The One Penny Orange Mystery” will provide readers with a glimpse inside the high stakes and unique social dynamics of the philatelic elite for whom stamp collecting is an all-consuming passion. Two collectors meeting at the famous auction house find romance as well as stamps for their collections.

Ackerman was inspired to write the mysterious “The One Penny Orange Mystery,” after learning about global cultures and geography through philately. His interest in stamp collecting dates back to his military service during World War II, where he served in the Philippines and began collecting the postage of remote tropical islands.

“The One Penny Orange Mystery” is available for sale online at Amazon.com and other channels.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,259,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible