Turbulent Priests by Colin Bateman

Turbulent Priests

by Colin Bateman

1205100,400 (3.35)13

Journalist Dan Starkey has been asked by the Primate of all Ireland to investigate reports of the Second Coming which has supposedly happened on the small island of Wrathlin. Why Dan? Well apparantly an old acquaintance of his started things off by say he'd had visions from God telling him to expect the new Messiah. Father Frank Flynn had returned home to Wrathlin after being disowned by his parrish in Crossmaheart and after the reported visions and their seeming accuracy over the birth of the child had distanced himself from the Church and the Cardinal wants to know what's going on. He'd sent a priest but he hadn't returned and was presumed converted. Dan is sent in under cover of using the island as a retreat to write the novel he'd always wanted to. Can he find out what's really happening and will things turn out like he expects? Not a chance, this is Dan Starkey after all.

The black comedy, satire and caustic wit all make a return in this 3rd adventure for anti-hero Dan Starkey and I wouldn't have it any other way. This is probably slightly better than the other two in the series that I've read so far but not quite good enough to give it that extra half. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Mar 13, 2011 |
Another book that turned up when clearing out the attic. I'd only read this once before it got put up there which I think must have been my opinion of it at the time. I wanted something else to read, and hoped that this would be better than the book I'd just finished.

It has been several years since I first - and last - read this. I have a vague recollection of the story but not enough to spoil anything. It's the only Colin Bateman book I've read, though I am aware of his other works. I thought the plot sounded interesting and especially liked the nod to Monty Python on the front cover: Is she the new messiah or just a very naughty girl?

It was a decent enough read and fairly easy to get through. The plot went along at a decent enough pace and certainly kept me engrossed enough to finish it off. There were a couple of parts that had me baffled as to why they were even there. The whole thing about the 'Bill Oddie' character was bizarre and I certainly didn't like the fact that a well-loved personality was given such treatment. I also didn't especially like the importance that alcohol had in the story either, plus it did seem to reinforce the Irish as drunk stereotype.

Some of the characters were annoying, the majority were two-dimensional, but I think it was supposed to be the plot that was the main focal point, not the characters and so it didn't matter how appealing they were. The ending was suitably dramatic with a couple of twists and turns although it did leave some questions unanswered with regards to the 'miracles'. And a nice little amusing spin at the very end.

Not a bad book, but I think I can see why it got relegated to the attic. It's not one I would want to read again, and I think if I'd not discovered it recently, I wouldn't have done! ( )
  Ganimede | Oct 19, 2008 |
Like all of Colin Bateman's books, this one is a great read. Dan Starkey is asked to record the events occuring on a remote island off the Northern Irish coast on which the new Messiah, a little girl, has been born. Starkey witnesses how the population of the island reacts both to the little girl and to outsiders on the island ( )
  maunder | Oct 16, 2008 |
OK book, funny enough ( )
  Jonna | Apr 22, 2008 |
Fast paced, crazy and as un-put-downable as his previous books. It's not hard to become hooked on Batemen's anti-hero, Dan starkey, reluctant everything! A modern day, tounge in cheek Wicker Man. And watch out for the killing of a certain famous twitcher! Classic! ( )
  BrandNewRose | Oct 15, 2007 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible