End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman

End This Depression Now! (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Paul Krugman

Member:lisakilian0507
Title:End This Depression Now!
Authors:Paul Krugman
Info:
Tags:###.##, economics, Keynes, Keynesian economics, fiscal stimulus, Great Depression, recession, Great Recession, global recession, fiscal policies

End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman (2012)

What's the Economy For, Anyway?: Why It's Time to Stop Chasing Growth and Start Pursuing Happiness by David K. Batker (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Both books discuss economic issues that affect real people not just people with investments

English (10)  Spanish (3)  All languages (13)
Excellent discussion of the current situation (2012) in the US and in Europe. Krugman describes fairly technical economics in a way that I can understand. Though some of the thoughts are repetitive, it is worth it to have a better understanding of the deficit, boom, bust, stimulus programs, currencies, etc. ( )
  addunn3 | Oct 18, 2014 |
This was a verh interesting book. I'm very fond of Krugman's style, and the fact that he can make complicated economic theory understandable to someone whose brain really doesn't work that way.

That said, this book is sad, and depressing. According to Krugman, the depression we're in right now isn't so much an economic problem as a political one - fixing it is easily within our grasps, but for whatever reason (and there are many, including greed) they just don't want to. They aren't willing to do what it takes to fix the problem. It's sad, it's disgusting, and it's totally unnecessary. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Right off the bat, I have to admit my knowledge of economics is pretty much zilch and I’m a loyal fan of Krugman’s biweekly column in the NY Times. If you enjoy his style, this book is for you. As usual, Krugman manages to break apart complex theories into palatable pieces, presenting a convincing case for ending austerity measures along with a Keynesian expansion of government spending. Likewise, he demonstrates how this will never happen in our current political environment. Usually, I despise punditry books, but Krugman has won me over with his ability to dissemble complex ideas into simple examples, such as his illustration of the flaws with the Washington babysitting cooperative. A quick read (and a bit dated at the time of this review) I highly recommend this book to any economic novice who is seeking an understanding into the current fiscal mess and achievable means for setting the economy back on track (hint: it doesn’t include shutting down the government). ( )
1 vote DrakeVaughn | Nov 7, 2013 |
This was a very interesting book. I'm very fond of Krugman's style, and the fact that he can make complicated economic theory understandable to someone whose brain really doesn't work that way.

2 vote Anniik | Sep 28, 2013 |
I thought that this was a decent book. I agree with the premises that Krugman puts forward. However, if it is meant for a good macro-economic overview, then it is a bit wonkish. I think it could have been more concise. Again, its greatest value is in presenting a basic economic framework for those who may not really understand how the economy works. What I find frustrating is that the data of the last 85 years clearly should show what does and does not work. It is hard to believe that supposedly intelligent economists do not see our current crisis as a lack of demand. It is scary when those that are doing well in this current crisis put forth propositions that do not help the entire economy but only serve their narrow self interests. ( )
1 vote nivramkoorb | Jun 20, 2013 |
added by Shortride | editBloomberg, James Pressley (Apr 24, 2012)

A call-to-arms from Nobel Prize–winning economist and best-selling author Paul Krugman.

The Great Recession is more than four years old—and counting. Yet, as Paul Krugman points out in this powerful volley, "Nations rich in resources, talent, and knowledge—all the ingredients for prosperity and a decent standard of living for all—remain in a state of intense pain."

How bad have things gotten? How did we get stuck in what now can only be called a depression? And above all, how do we free ourselves? Krugman pursues these questions with his characteristic lucidity and insight. He has a powerful message for anyone who has suffered over these past four years—a quick, strong recovery is just one step away, if our leaders can find the "intellectual clarity and political will" to end this depression now.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:01 -0400)

Krugman pursues the questions of how bad the "Great Recession" really is, how we got stuck in what can now be called a depression and, above all, how we can free ourselves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,394,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible