Utopia by Lincoln Child

Utopia

by Lincoln Child

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Good read. Sort of had it figured out in the first 100 pages. Way too much techy talk. Am wondering if Angus Poole has his own book. Hope so. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
Although this book had more technical info about the workings of an amusement park and robotics than I cared for, it was still better than most other Lincoln Child books that he wrote on his own that I've read. The story kept me reading. ( )
  hchannell | Apr 27, 2013 |
I was a little disappointed with this book hence the 2 star rating. I have been studiously reading my way through all the Preston/Child novels so thought I would dip into this as well. Maybe the standard of character development and script in the Pendergast series spoiled this one for me.
I found the personal relationships between Dr Warne and his daughter and his ex-girlfriend very strained or forced.Something didn't ring true about his intuition regarding his daughter's peril. His inner dialogue about being a reluctant hero grated as well.
The ending seemed to come too quickly and left me feeling like justice hadn't been properly meted out to the 'bad guys'. ( )
  cayman | Oct 23, 2011 |
a techno thriller, very fast paced ( )
  kimmy0ne | May 7, 2011 |
What a fun ride (pun intended). I'm not going to say this was a work of brilliance or cataclysmic achievement, but it kept me up at night turning the pages. It is fast paced...once the basic plot has been formed and just speeds up from there. It had it's cliche' moments but I can forgive that because it was well done. I am also sure there were plot holes and I did figure out one of the "whodunits" before it was revealed but this was the kind of book you shouldn't really focus too hard on the "science" and just go along with it. Recommended for those who enjoy the author and for those wanting a bit of mindless reading. ( )
  Spiceca | May 7, 2011 |
To my daughter, Veronica.
Prologue: It was the ultimate coup, and Corey knew it.
From it's jumping-off place at Charleston Boulevard, above the Las Vegas Strip, Rancho Drive makes a casual bend to the left and heads straight for Reno.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345455207, Mass Market Paperback)

It takes a lot of chutzpah to give your novel the same title as one of the most famous novels in the history of English-language literature, even if the original novel didn't spawn a literary field or two (utopian and dystopian fiction) or become an everyday term for the perfect place to live on Earth. Yet there's a postmodern appropriateness to applying the title Utopia to a novel set in a theme park that uses cutting-edge technology to create Earth's most desirable fantasy place to visit. Like Westworld and Jurassic Park, Lincoln Child's Utopia is a near-future theme-park thriller, and like Michael Crichton, Child delivers an abundance of white-knuckle thrills, chills, and shocks.

Despite its remote location in the Nevada desert, the Utopia theme park receives 65,000 visitors daily. They never dream their lives may be in any real danger. However, some of the self-programming robots are becoming erratic, so park administrators quietly bring the robots' brilliant creator from the East Coast to fix the problem before it gets any worse. Dr. Andrew Warne brings his daughter, for he doesn't believe there is anything wrong with his creations. But on the day of their arrival, a mysterious band of ruthless criminals infiltrates not only the park, but its computerized systems. The unknown terrorists appear to control everything, from the simplest robot to the most dangerous ride. And if their demands aren't met, thousands of innocent park-goers will be killed. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

Rising out of the stony canyons of Nevada, Utopia is a theme park attracting 65,000 visitors each day, with its dazzling array of robots and futuristic holograms. But ominous mishaps are beginning to disrupt the once flawless technology. A friendly robot goes haywire, causing panic, and a popular roller coaster malfunctions, nearly killing a teenaged rider. Dr. Andrew Warne, the brilliant computer engineer who designed much of the park's robotics, is summoned from the East Coast to get things back on track. On the day Warne arrives, however, Utopia is infiltrated by a group of ruthless criminals who now have access to the park's computerized infrastructure. Their communication begins with a simple and dire warning: If their demands are met, none of the 65,000 people in the park that day will ever know they were there; if not, chaos will descend, and every man, woman, and child will become a target. As one of the brains behind Utopia, Warne finds himself thrust into a role he never imagined--trying to save the lives of thousands of innocent people. As the minutes tick away, Warne's struggle to outsmart his opponents grows ever more urgent, for his only daughter is among the unsuspecting crowds in the park.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,307,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible