The Inn at Rose Harbor: A Novel by Debbie…

The Inn at Rose Harbor: A Novel

by Debbie Macomber

I always enjoy a Debbie Macomber story. This is the first in her new series, but still is in Cedar Cove but with different characters. Heartwarming story, however, a couple of places I felt it was a little extreme RE: dead people being able to communicate with us. Sorry, just my two cents. Otherwise, I enjoyed this book from front to back.
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |
Loved it. Happy to see a new series by Debbie Macomber that is a spin off from another great series. ( )
  JoniJ. | Feb 25, 2016 |
  JoniJ. | Feb 25, 2016 |
really good
  helynavery | Jan 27, 2016 |
Jo Marie, who was recently widowed, takes over a small B&B where she believes she can find healing. She renames it Rose Harbor Inn and gets ready to welcome her first two guests.

Josh has returned to the town to visit his dying stepfather. They never had a good relationship, but he hopes to retrieve a few of his mother’s treasured possessions.

Abby has returned to the town for her brother’s wedding. She is very anxious about being there, as she thinks that everyone hates her.

The story is told from each of these three perspectives in turn, which mostly works well. I really wanted to like this book. The setting is gentle, the people likeable, the stories, if a little predictable, could have been moving and uplifting.

Unfortunately, much of it was rambling and repetitive. Particularly in the middle sections, every implication was spelled out; nothing was left to my imagination or intelligence. I also found many of the conversations to be rather dull. I was not interested in exchanges about whether or not someone wanted coffee, and whether they would like milk or sugar. They took the story nowhere, and I felt that the book would have benefited greatly from some significant editing.

And yet, there was something about this book that was surprisingly appealing. The three main characters somehow crept under my skin; I was sorry to turn the final page and to realise I had to say goodbye to these three people who had started to feel like friends.

So in the end I would give this a cautious recommendation, if you enjoy gentle, heart-warming stories and if you don’t mind a somewhat rambling style of writing. Three and a half stars would perhaps be fairer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Stitches Conferences,

Benjamin Levisay

and

Rick Mondragon
Last night I dreamed of Paul.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345528921, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: Essay by Debbie Macomber

For anyone who's ever written or read a book series, no matter how deeply loved the setting, the town and the people, there's always one small complication.

Characters and character names.

By the end of three or four books, let alone thirteen or fourteen, there are a bazillion characters. You can't use the name Joe because he was the plumber in Book Three and if you introduce another Joe, the reader will assume he was the same plumber ten books back. And trust me, the reader will remember because Joe Someone out there in Reader Land had an Uncle Joe who was a plumber and they were so pleased to see a writer mention their Uncle Joe.

It's not only the readers who need a refresher course when it comes to remembering five thousand different characters. By book six, I needed a bible for my Cedar Cove series. It took up as much space on my hard drive as an entire manuscript.

For this reason, when I decided to create another series, I needed to devise a way of limiting the amount of characters. That's not as easy as it sounds. I briefly considered establishing a settlement on the moon, but that doesn't exactly live up to my branding statement: Wherever you are, Debbie Macomber takes you home.

Then I had the idea—brilliant, if I do say so myself—of using a bed and breakfast as the location for my new series. A lovely inn, a place of healing and of hope. But most importantly, the guests will come and—after telling their amazing stories—they will drift away, never to be forgotten but never to appear again. If Joe does come for a stay, I won't need to remember that he was a plumber ten books ago and what connections he has to the community. He's simply a guest. In an inn with lots of other guests who come and go. But as with any good inn, hopefully they'll feel right at home during their stay. And hopefully readers will too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

Jo Marie Rose opens the Rose Harbor Inn bed and breakfast in Cedar Cove in order to start a new life, but the inn and its first guests bring surprises into Jo's life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,931,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible