Mrs. Noodlekugel by Daniel Pinkwater

Mrs. Noodlekugel (edition 2012)

by Daniel Pinkwater, Adam Stower (Illustrator)

Member:StephanieWhite
Title:Mrs. Noodlekugel
Authors:Daniel Pinkwater
Other authors:Adam Stower (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Hardcover, 80 pages

Mrs. Noodlekugel by Daniel Manus Pinkwater

What’s not to love about Mrs. Noodlekugel and her talking cat and farsighted mice! Nick and Maxine wander into her yard behind their big apartment building and the adventures begin. This is a great story for elementary kids. They will love the antics of Mr. Fuzzface and the others. I highly recommend this story! ( )
  Lschwarzman | Mar 11, 2014 |
Disappointed.

I expect so much more from Daniel Pinkwater. I am not the target audience (beginning readers) but there was just so much potential in this book that I kept waiting, turning the pages and waiting for some of that Pinkwater magic AND it just never came.

Illustrations were amazing, characters were great, diaglogue was akin to the old Dick and Jane books, plot was almost non-existent (which is not a bad thing in a Pinkwater book).

An average book but when compared to the greatness of other Pinkwater books this was a disappointment. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
What's not to like with a name like Noodlekugel? A short early chapter book, Mrs. Noodlekugel is a Mary Poppin's like babysitter who lives in a tiny house hidden among the towering apartment buildings of the big city. Adventures include tea served by a talking cat, Mr. Fuzzface and making gingerbread cookies with farsighted mice. Kids will enjoy the short chapters and the off-the-wall humor. ( )
  purplethings | Feb 13, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: My son read to me as his reader. I have always enjoyed Daniel Pinkwater as an author, though I've only read a few of his books.

First as to age appropriateness. The publisher recommends this to age 5+ and that is an appropriate age but as a read-aloud. I think the perfect reading level group would be 7-9. However, my struggling reader is 12 and he found the story funny, not babyish at all. This is the extreme age range though.

This is a light-hearted quick read. Mrs. Noodlekugel is more reminiscent of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle than Mary Poppins. She's not exacly magical but her world is eccentirc and filled with magical realities such as a talking/walking pet cat and mice who help bake cookies. The story is simple enough in that Nick and Maxine discover Mrs.N's house and go for a visit. The only thing troublesome is that they sneak over when their parents have expressly told them not to and the janitor shows them the secret entrance to the backyard while then promptly saying "not to tell their parents". This raised eyebrows in my son as he knows that when a grown-up says not to tell your parents, that is a bad sign and you should immediately tell your parents what that grown-up does not want you to tell. He also wasn't impressed with the children's outright disobedience. This and the parent's eventual cover-up that they tricked them into sneaking over there slightly spoiled the story for us, but otherwise we both enjoyed the tale. It was cute and silly; Mrs. NoodleKugel is a dotty, otherworldly, friendly old-lady who makes a fun babysitter. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 8, 2012 |
Summary: This story is about two adventurous children that spot a house behind their apartment building. They become very curious about the building and after some investigating, they find out the house belongs to an elderly lady, Mrs. NoodleKugel. They are told to stay away from her and not to bother her. They assume that it’s because she’s mean, but they sneak off to her house anyways. Once they are they find out that they were wrong about Mrs.Noodlekugel. Soon though they find do find the sweet older lady to be a bit odd, when they find out her cat talks and she feeds mice cookies and tea. At the end of the book, they find out that Mrs. NoodleKugel is there soon to be nanny. They are very excited about the news.

Personal reaction: This book was very cute. It was even funny and entertaining at times. Something negative that stuck out to me was that the children disobeyed their parents quite a bit, and they were never got in trouble for it. I think children would pick up on that and maybe leave the story with that negative idea.

Classroom extension:
1) This story would be great for teaching children not to make assumptions, as they children did to Mrs. NoodleKugel in the book.
2) This would also be great for introducing fantasy to children. There have many aspects in the story that are both real and fantasy, I think it would be fun to have the children guess which some of the aspects fall under.
  amanda.h | Oct 14, 2012 |
In honor of the Winski Family - past & present

With signature wit and whimsy, the inimitable Daniel Pinkwater introduces an eccentric, endearing babysitter every child will wish they could have.

Nick and Maxine live in a tall building with one apartment on top of another. So when they look out their window and see a little house they never knew was there, of course they must visit (especially when their parents tell them not to!). Going through the boiler room, they’re amazed to find to a secret backyard with a garden, a porch, and a statue of a cat. And they’re even more amazed when that cat starts to talk. . . . Welcome to the world of Mrs. Noodlekugel, where felines converse and serve cookies and tea, vision-impaired mice join the party (but may put crumbs up their noses), and children in search of funny adventures are drawn by the warm smell of gingerbread and the promise of magical surprises.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:30 -0400)

Nick and Maxine have a new babysitter--the eccentric Mrs. Noodlekugel who lives in the funny little house behind their drab high-rise apartment building along with her feline butler, Mr. Fuzzface, and three myopic mice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible