Walt Disney's Cinderella (a Little…

Walt Disney's Cinderella (a Little Golden Book) (1950)

by RH Disney

Cinderella by R. H. Disney
Summary:
This traditional folktale classic has mostly flat character except perhaps Cinderella who Disney over the course of the book allows us to know her story, her losses and her thoughts making her an unusually round character for a folktale. Cinderella is the classic person against person story with a protagonist, Cinderella who fights an uphill battle against her evil step-family. This story however has embraced more than traditional fiction as it merges in a little romance intertwined with a little fantasy and in most versions animal story. Her animals can talk and she understands them yet we are never meant to believe that they are anything more than mice, birds and other barn animals until the fairy godmother has her way with them. The sequence follows a common chronology and setting which makes the story realistic fantasy. The Disney world is believable purposefully meant to draw the reader into almost believing in a fairy godmother who watches over the orphaned victims of evil stepmothers. The classic is as old as time but has never lost its appeal especially not in this postmodern generation that can certainly relate to alternative family structures and the challenges faced by everyone regardless of which side of the family you were born to. With parallel illustrations that bring this story to life, it has lived for many decades on its rich text and a denouement that seems to be almost certain when the evil stepmother finds ways to crush Cinderella’s hope to escape the hell she lives in. The suspense is held to the very end where even in defeat the evil stepmother attempts for one last attempt to destroy Cinderella’s claim to the Prince. In the falling action that follows we see in fairytale tradition that Cinderella and the Prince live happily ever after, but for the observant reader, one story inside this story, that of the sisters, Disney leaves their disposition open ended and to the imagination and will of the reader.
Personal Reaction:
Coming from an altered family structure when my mother passed from cancer, I could feel intimately the conflict of Cinderella as what my daughter deemed me; a Cinderfella. It was impossible for me not to fall in love with a character who has been plunged from the perfect family situation into living hell. I have read or viewed about every version of Cinderella whether it was the modern remake with the Fairy Stepfather or a movie classic, I always return to the Disney original to find solace in the charm of a Golden Book that has been in the family since before I was born.

Classroom Extension Ideas
1. There is nothing new in the idea, mood, tone, setting and charm of Cinderella, yet it lives on. As a teacher, we live in a time of family diversification and are charged with the job of projecting empathy for our children in stress. On a day where the study is family relations, this is a read that could persuade a child to communicate her personal challenges by finding that her teacher truly understands the possibility of complex unresolved conflict in combined families. That said, we would need to emphasize that some step families eventually grow into one family as some are very accepting of the new family situation.
2. Students could be read the book and then have open discussion of what is right and wrong with the stereotyping of step mothers in this story. With so many alternative family structures that have developed since the turn of the century, we could have a very productive family study.
3. In a group setting, this book could be used to express understanding for the other family structures and the sacrifice placed on the receiving family in terms of shared resources and personal sacrifice in space and environment depending on the readiness of the family to accept their new ward. It could provide inclusion for the children in the class being raised by a stepfamily. ( )
  jp942205 | Jul 12, 2017 |
In this version of Cinderella, the illustrations are beautiful and very vintage in appearance. There is quite a bit of text on each page so it would make a great read aloud. Something that would be fun is to do a folktale/fairy tale unit of study and include familiar versions like the Disney ones and then also tie in less familiar versions of Cinderella, like Domitila and Yeh-Shen. Folktales around the world! ( )
  kmann63 | Jul 11, 2017 |
One day cinderellas father died, and she was left to the will of her step mother and evil step sisters. They basically made her their maid, and didn't let her go to the ball to find the prince. Her fairly god mother showed up the night of the ball and granted all her wishes, but only till midnight. ( )
  Paige.2010 | May 3, 2017 |
This story is a timeless classic. One that will catch the attention of children. It has a great storyline some children can relate and it has a great moral to the story. ( )
  Christina1476 | Apr 20, 2017 |
In my opinion, this book is wonderful. One reason I enjoyed this book is because of the integration of people and animals as characters. In the story, Cinderella, who is human is friends with the birds and the mice helps her get to the ball. The integration of humans and animals as friends teaches a lesson in the story that you can find friends in unlikely places. In real life, you cannot be friends with a bird, but he author’s integration of people and humans as friends elucidates the idea to be open minded when it comes to choosing friends.
Another reason why I liked the Cinderella story is the development of the character. In the beginning of the story, she was timid and followed the rules of her stepmother. As she realized she had support from her fairy godmother, she began to gain self confidence. At the end of the story, against her stepmother’s rule, Cinderella still tried on the glass slipper. As a future teacher, I may be the fairy godmother in someone’s life. I may be the only one to encourage them and support them. This is something I have to keep in mind. On the outside, Cinderella was beautiful. You could not guess that her family members treated her like she was inadequate. I have to treat all of my students with respect, because like Cinderella, they may mask what is happening in their life.
The big idea in Cinderella is that being evil does not make you successful. the wicked stepsisters were mean to Cinderella throughout the whole story. Cinderella was nice to them, even when they did not reciprocate the action. In the end, the Prince noticed that Cinderella was nice, and she was the one to marry the Prince. This story teaches readers that being nice does not go unnoticed. ( )
  Taylorbacon | Apr 11, 2017 |

Is an adaptation of

Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, there lived a widowed gentleman and his lovely daughter, Ella.
(Little Golden Book edition) Once upon a time in a far-away land lived a sweet and pretty girl named Cinderella.

The most beloved princess movie of all time—Disney's Cinderella—is retold in the classic Little Golden Book format. It's perfect for Disney Princess fans ages 2-5, and available just in time for the movie's Diamond Edition DVD and Blu-ray release in fall 2012.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

With the help of her fairy godmother, a kitchen maid mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters attends the palace ball where she meets the prince of her dreams.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible