The Paladin Prophecy: Book 1 by Mark Frost

The Paladin Prophecy: Book 1

by Mark Frost

4012039,897 (3.98)3
    Alliance: The Paladin Prophecy Book 2 by Mark Frost (JZL0003)
    JZL0003: They are in the same series(tada)

In the beginning of the book, I was confused. The first few chapters will throw readers into sudden action with very little explanation other than the fact that Will West is a very special kid - he can run practically as fast as a cheetah, can throw images at people that change their perception, and is a super genius. Which makes him - well, you don't know that until the very end of the book. So for a good part of it, readers, expect to be confused, and just call him that "special" kid.

He's sent to a school for all other special kids, and by this time, if you've read Harry Potter, you'll be seeing some similarities. There are the bullies, slimy and unpleasant Lyle and the track runner/jock Todd, and their stereotypical bully/antagonist behavior is made up for with Will's new friends. Mostly. Elise has her sarcasm and secrets, Nick has his jokes and silly nature, and Ajay has his technological-savvy charisma, and I found them entertaining and likable. The only one I was put off by (slightly) was Brooke, while she has believable characteristics of being extremely kind and is a stickler for rules, even I could see when she first appeared that she would be the love interest of Will's. Damsel-in-distress syndrome and a kiss for saving her in the end; I make my point.

On that note, although the romance is more so on the side than the main part of this adventure, Will getting to kiss both the female protagonists? Really? Elise, I could forgive; she does end up "awakening" and unlocking what makes her special later on in the novel. And her secrets make it pretty obvious she's not really into Will. But the whole Will/Brooke romance felt rushed and expected. More development on this in later books would be nice.

Will's guardian angel Dave (and Dave doesn't tell us he's a guardian angel until he's allowed to, so you just think he's some otherworldly being until he does so) does most of the explaining for Will's predicament. Even then, I'm left confused. The Never-Was? Lamia? Monsters? Paladins? It all does not seem believable until the end. But I do like how Frost incorporates history (Charlemagne's Knights aka The Paladins) and monsters. Forget vampires and wizards. Will's an Initiate (I still have no idea what that really is, an unfortunate downside).

The middle and end picked up from the very confusing beginning. I was able to actually understand what was going on as Dave explained to Will and as Will and the gang slowly uncovered the secrets of their school. And their are many more secrets to uncover, with Will's parentage coming into play.

Now would I recommend this book? Yes and no. Yes, it was a great, quick read full of unexpected elements that deviate from the norm of witches and vampires and werewolves and incorporating historical facts into it. The characters were mostly diverse and hopefully we see more development from them in future novels. But some cons. Reading through some sections, such as Will's mind projection, were hard to imagine in the modern setting of America. If you're confused by certain aspects of the book, like the angels and the Initiates and the Hierarchy and all the things Dave the guardian angel tried to explain, it may be harder to get into this series. And even if the characterization was a positive, it also was a negative, as I stated with the romance.

The second book, Alliance, I will be reading, to find out what awaits our heroes, and to clear whatever confusion I retained after finishing The Paladin Prophecy. ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
This is a fun ride of a book that hooks you from the very beginning and doesn't ever let up. The action is continuous, the characters are incredibly fun, the plot lines are a little confusing, but all in all it is a very entertaining book. The characters were my favorite part. The main character, Will, is a good young man who loves his parents and tries to do his best without drawing attention to some of his extraordinary skills. When strange things begin happening and he has to run away, he meets Nando, a taxi-driver who immediately becomes a friend that goes to many great lengths to help Will. I loved Nando for his good heart, his courage, and his smart-alecky remarks. When Will arrives at his new school, I fell in love with his roommates - especially the hysterical Nick. Why oh why did I not mark some of his quotes?! And why has a movie not been made of this yet? It would definitely make a good one. Fun, fun, fun.

Areas of concern:
*Quite a bit of bad language. Around 30 uses each of the "d" word and the "h" word. 8 uses of the "a" word, and 1 use of the "s" word.
*This is nit-picky, but a group of male and female teenagers share a sort of apartment with a common kitchen and living area with their bedrooms jutting off from the common areas and no supervision aside from a creepy evil guy who makes surprise inspections.

https://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Apr 5, 2016 |
When I saw this cover, I knew it was something I needed to look at. When I read the back, I knew it was something that I needed to read right away. Luckily, I was not let down. This book was far from perfect, but it still managed to be surprisingly good, and I found it difficult to put down.
This book reminded me a lot of Harry Potter, even though the subject matter is quite different. Everyone says it's like I Am Number Four and The Maze Runner, but I got a strong Harry Potter vibe. A likable, heroic young boy who has always been a little different from anybody else, discovers that he can do strange things that are sort of magical and goes to a boarding school. He groups up with a some kids, who are misfits in their own rights. While Ajay and Elise have no parallels, Brooke bares a strong likeness to Hermione, and Nick reminds me a bit of Ron. The books aren't exactly the same, or even too similar, but The Paladin Prophecy did bear a feint resemblance to the well-loved series.
My one major problem with the book was the romance. Maybe I'm alone in this (though I highly doubt I am), but I don't think that every Young-Adult book needs romance, and if the time isn't put into making the romance good, then it really isn't necessary. I have no doubt that Mr. Frost can write a good romance, but in this book, there wasn't nearly enough time spent on it. It was poorly developed, and throughout the book, almost nothing happens between the two characters, but then suddenly they're kissing? I didn't feel anything between the characters, and frankly, this book really didn't need romance anyways. There was already enough to keep me occupied, and this was a black spot on an otherwise nearly-incredible book.
Really, the only other problem with this book was that I felt like the characters were rather one-dimensional, and fit simply into stereotypes. Will's the brave hero. Ajay's the smart geek. Nick's the athletic idiot. Elise is the witty rebel. Brooke's the passive goody-two-shoes. There was little character development, and though the characters were definitely likable, they were also quite flat.
Even though this may sound like a bad review, the book really was good. It was fast-paced, a bit mysterious, and generally well-written. There were flaws, yes, but the book remained likable despite of them. I definitely look forward to reading more from this series and this author!
Four out of Five Stars
Want to read more reviews like this one? Find some more here:
http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-paladin-prophecy-paladin-pro... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
This is most likely the best book I have ever read! Although the suspense is killing me, I would totally bring this book into my library. There are rules that have to do with every person's everyday life; the author just wormed the rules into his book. Will is the protagonist who has an amazing secret. And only towards the end does he find out why his parents gave him such strict rules to live by. Along the way Will meets kids like himself. Can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  JaFi14 | Oct 4, 2014 |
I really, really liked this book! It's a great story - very enthralling. Frost's characters felt 3D and real to me. I identified with some of them, and it felt like I was right next to them. I can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  Andre_Campbell_ | Mar 28, 2014 |
Every crime is punished,
Every virtue rewarded,
Every wrong redressed,
In silence and certainty.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
For the lost and lonely ones. . .
The Importance of an Orderly Mind
I couldn't see his face.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375870458, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: Mark Frost’s Top Eleven Television Shows by Decade

A Highly Personal Inventory,
Chosen—Mostly—for Personal Reasons

1960s: The Andy Griffith Show—I visited the set at age ten and met Andy and Ron, who showed me the jail cell’s secret back escape route. The Man from U.N.C.L.E.—inspired my first (unpublished and unpublishable) novel, written when I was eleven. The Prisoner—which blew my mind and taught me (foreshadowing) that a TV show didn’t have to follow the rules. . . . 1970s: Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood—because I worked my way through college on the production crew (with a young stand-up named Michael Keaton),
and because Fred Rogers was and is the best human being I’ve ever been privileged to know. The Six Million Dollar Man—because it was my first professional WGA gig, three weeks out of college, which soon led to . . . 1980s: Hill Street Blues—where for three years I learned from the best: my boss, Steven Bochco, and my senior colleague David Milch. I went to
work every day unable to imagine a better job. Hill Street Blues was a hugely influential show that is now almost absurdly underappreciated. The “Showtime” Lakers—no one made better television than those guys. 1990s: Twin Peaks—because my buddy Dave and I just went for it, and had more fun than humans should be allowed to have. Seinfeld—because my dad played George’s (almost) father-in-law, and because nothing ever made me laugh more until . . . 2000s: Curb Your Enthusiasm—funniest show ever, and . . . The Sopranos—the most important TV drama ever. Period. The end. 2010s: Not officially on the list yet because the decade is young, and so is the show, but getting closer . . . Boardwalk Empire. Honorable Mentions:

ABC’s Wide World of Sports, SportsCenter (with Dan and Keith), The Larry Sanders Show, The Tonight Show (with Johnny Carson), BBC’s new Sherlock, and Downton Abbey.

"Fantasy, Mythology, and Metaphor"—An Essay by Mark Frost

Relax. I’m not referring to anything you might have covered—or been bored to petrification by—in English class.

I’m talking about stories that grab you by the eyeballs, bury their fangs in your forehead, and won’t let you go until the last words are graven onto your sated, saturated brain. The kinds of stories that keep you up at night because you’re in a reading fever and physically can’t put them down. Those stories, the ones you’ll never forget, that put a spiritual brand on you you’ll wear for the rest of your life.

When I was a kid, fantasy was scorned as a literary ghetto, a refuge for lunatics and sweatshop hacks. Conan, Doc Savage, even Tarzan got the treatment back then. Almost exclusively paperbacks, they had lurid covers that pandered to the furtive and sensational; in other words, the perfect food for the teenage audience in the 1960s—anything that smacked of rebellion, breaking our suburban shackles and taking a big fat bite of escape.

We have another word for those books now. Classics. And that homely little twisted Rumpelstiltskin of a genre is now the nuclear reactor powering the entire entertainment-industrial complex. The first time I saw Gandalf and Frodo on-screen in The Fellowship of the Ring, I burst into tears. At last, I thought, at last, it’s all come to pass.

Why? How did it happen? Because fantasy and mythology speak to us and for us, in the deepest possible ways. They’re our inner life made manifest, the lifeblood of the human animal. From cave paintings to multiplexes, they are our life, our history, our spirit, our DNA. They are the freedom and imagination and the power of dreams that make life worth living.

There is a fundamental conflict on this planet that’s as old as time. On the one hand are the forces that want everything contained, ordered, counted, and accounted for. On the other hand are those crazy-brave, shamanistic souls who realize that the inner life—the field where everything in creation, including you, is connected to everything else—is the only thing that matters.

You have a choice in this life. Sign up with that first bunch, and sign away your ability to make life an adventure. Oh, sure, you might make a whopping pile of scratch and get more than your share of “things,” but the beating heart of your spirit will spend its life in a cage of gold, wondering what it’s like out there where the wild things run free.

Take the second route, and what you’ll find out there is yourself. The “you” no one else can shake, rattle, or roll. That’s where metaphor comes in: all useful, powerful art is a metaphor for the journey you have to make. No one can take it in your place. But, lucky for you, you can rely on the words of all those who made the trip before you and lived large enough and long enough to write about it.

Fantasy and mythology are the gateway to your individualized adventure. Don’t listen to anybody who tries to tell you different; they’re playing for the other side. They want you in a cubicle, playing it safe, making them money.

Get started today. Open that book and dream. Keep searching until you find the metaphor that works for you. That’s your map. Your territory is waiting for you. What are you waiting for?

Art is a set of wings to carry you out of your own entanglement.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:52 -0400)

A fifteen-year-old boy who has spent his entire life trying to avoid attention finds himself in the middle of a millenia-old struggle between titanic forces when he is simultaneously recruited by an exclusive prep school and followed by sinister agents.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,866,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible