Scorched by Laura Griffin

Member:gpangel
Title:Scorched
Authors:Laura Griffin
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:edelweiess review copies, romantic suspense, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:romantic suspense, review copy

Scorched by Laura Griffin

Usually, when a book involves the FBI and the Navy Seals, I immediately find it beyond belief and over-the-top. In Scorched, the author somehow maintains a feel of authenticity and reality prompting the reader to suspend disbelief and not only accept the premise of the story but become immersed in it. The explosive action was racked with tension. The sense of impending danger and the sexual attraction stayed charged throughout the story with pent-up anger, frustration, pain, fear and love for fuel. The narrative flew at a break-neck pace and the characters had perfect chemistry. I could easily see why this title won a RITA. Highly recommended for fans of romantic suspense.

Quotes:

“Another chance. part of her desperately wanted to believe him and another part of her – the logical part – knew that this wasn’t real” (p. 142).

“Kelsey stumbled through the darkness, expecting at any moment to feel the sting of a bullet in her back. They’d been moving briskly for what seemed like hours, pushing deeper and deeper into the empty desert” (p. 180).

“Fighting terrorism wasn’t about eliminating one man or even one group. It was about stopping a disease before it spread unchecked into the world’s healthiest democracies” (p. 345). ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Dec 30, 2013 |
I liked this book of the series the best so far. I haven't read all of them, but of the ones I did read, this had the most intriguing story/mystery. ( )
  Rena613 | Oct 15, 2013 |
Scorched is my first Laura Griffin romantic suspense novel, and it will definitely not be my last! A romantic suspense with enough of each genre to keep the average reader happily reading well into the night as it builds to its exciting conclusion. I am now going to backtrack and try to obtain the previous Tracers books in the series!

full review on my blog:
http://myhomeofbooks.blogspot.com ( )
  Rita_h | Sep 27, 2013 |
I absolutely LOVED this book. It was as if Laura Griffin went inside my head and wrote the perfect book that I wanted to read. I’d already become hooked on the Traces series, and just when I thought it couldn’t get any better it did! This book had everything I adore in romantic suspense in one book—the forensics through the Delphi Center, the FBI, government corruption and conspiracies, smart heroines, and my favorite addition—Navy SEALs.

Chapter 2 was one of the best chapters in any book I’ve read in a long time. The conflict between Kelsey and Gage felt real as did their romantic connection. I’d already fell in love with Gage when I read the novella Unstoppable, and he only became more amazing in this book. Laura sustained the romance plot the entire book, and you really felt both Kelsey and Gage’s emotional turmoil. He is torn between the two things he loves the most in life—the teams and Kelsey. Kelsey doesn’t want to be alone, left worrying if Gage will come home.

Scorched was perfectly paced, and hit all the right notes mixing high drama and suspense with sexy romance. I loved the addition of Elizabeth LeBlanc as a rookie FBI agent, and the subplot with her and Gage’s SEAL teammate Derek Vaughn.

Scorched had me from the first page and never let go. After a long rough week, knowing I’d get to finish reading this book gave me something to look forward to—and I wasn’t disappointed. Scorched delivered in every way. Basically the perfect romantic suspense for me. Can’t wait to read what’s next from Laura.
  Rachel.Kall | Jul 23, 2013 |
I love Griffin, and getting Kelsey and Gage's HEA was worth the wait. I enjoyed this particular spin on the "been there, done that" romance, I liked that it was a matter of months rather than a decade that separated the hero and heroine.

On the downside, the pacing in this book is a little choppy. It wasn't clear how Gage found out about Kelsey's engagement breaking up, and it was disorienting when Griffin dropped it into the narrative on Gage's side rather than Kelsey's. The culmination of the mystery was a little much as well, with a crash course on counter-terrorism. It set up the HEA very nicely, though, which I appreciated.

Excellent romance, good execution, I'm back to eagerly awaiting Griffin's next book. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

The dead don't speak, but Kelsey knows their secrets. As a forensic anthropologist at the Delphi Center Crime lab, Kelsey makes it her mission to identify bodies using no more than shards of bone, and her find at a remote Philippines dig hints at a sinister story. When Kelsey's search for answers puts her at the scene of her ex-fiance's murder, only one man can help her. The same man who broke her heart just months before, and who is also a prime suspect. Faced with an ultimatum -- Kelsey or his job -- Gage Brewer did the only thing a Navy SEAL could .... but that doesn't mean he stopped wanting Kelsey. Now Kelsey is running for her life and Gage is her last line of defense. As the threats escalate, Kelsey realizes this conspiracy goes deeper and higher than they could have guessed. With the clock ticking down on a madman's plot, the slightest misstep will have unthinkable consequences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible