Scorched by Laura Griffin

Member:gpangel
Title:Scorched
Authors:Laura Griffin
Info:Pocket Books (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:edelweiess review copies, romantic suspense, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:romantic suspense, review copy

Scorched by Laura Griffin

Most series collapse after the first couple of installments, but this one keeps going. Great plot, wonderful romance, lots of action, fast paced and hard to put down. Can't wait till the next one. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
I am a fan of this author's and this series. Yet, I feel like this is the first book where I did not enjoy it as much as I have come to expect from this series. Don't get me wrong as the characters are good and I did feel the chemistry but what I did not feel was the plot itself. This time it was really just the relationships between the two couples of Kelsey and Gage and Elizabeth and Vaughn that I enjoyed the most. Otherwise I was not as intrigued in the crime itself, the motive, or who the killer(s) were. Also, in the beginning I thought that Elizabeth was the weaker of the two women. However by the end of the story, I thought that both Kelsey and Elizabeth were on the same level. Gage and Vaughn are alpha males. Yet, Vaughn brought out more of the cocky attitude but in a way that made him endearing in a fun way. Either men would e great to have to watch your back. ( )
  Cherylk | Jan 16, 2016 |
A good romantic suspense with lots of fast paced action. I liked the writing style that would build up excitement then switch to a different thread because it kept reinforcing my interest level. When Navy SEAL Gage learns that his ex-girlfriend anthropologist Dr Kelsey is in trouble, he runs to help her.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Usually, when a book involves the FBI and the Navy Seals, I immediately find it beyond belief and over-the-top. In Scorched, the author somehow maintains a feel of authenticity and reality prompting the reader to suspend disbelief and not only accept the premise of the story but become immersed in it. The explosive action was racked with tension. The sense of impending danger and the sexual attraction stayed charged throughout the story with pent-up anger, frustration, pain, fear and love for fuel. The narrative flew at a break-neck pace and the characters had perfect chemistry. I could easily see why this title won a RITA. Highly recommended for fans of romantic suspense.

Quotes:

“Another chance. part of her desperately wanted to believe him and another part of her – the logical part – knew that this wasn’t real” (p. 142).

“Kelsey stumbled through the darkness, expecting at any moment to feel the sting of a bullet in her back. They’d been moving briskly for what seemed like hours, pushing deeper and deeper into the empty desert” (p. 180).

“Fighting terrorism wasn’t about eliminating one man or even one group. It was about stopping a disease before it spread unchecked into the world’s healthiest democracies” (p. 345). ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Dec 30, 2013 |
I liked this book of the series the best so far. I haven't read all of them, but of the ones I did read, this had the most intriguing story/mystery. ( )
  Rena613 | Oct 15, 2013 |

The dead don't speak, but Kelsey knows their secrets. As a forensic anthropologist at the Delphi Center Crime lab, Kelsey makes it her mission to identify bodies using no more than shards of bone, and her find at a remote Philippines dig hints at a sinister story. When Kelsey's search for answers puts her at the scene of her ex-fiance's murder, only one man can help her. The same man who broke her heart just months before, and who is also a prime suspect. Faced with an ultimatum -- Kelsey or his job -- Gage Brewer did the only thing a Navy SEAL could .... but that doesn't mean he stopped wanting Kelsey. Now Kelsey is running for her life and Gage is her last line of defense. As the threats escalate, Kelsey realizes this conspiracy goes deeper and higher than they could have guessed. With the clock ticking down on a madman's plot, the slightest misstep will have unthinkable consequences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,640,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible