When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

When in Doubt, Add Butter (edition 2012)

by Beth Harbison

Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:2012, Player

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

Quite cute---I enjoyed the interview at the end with the author at the end of this audio version. I wondered about her food knowledge as Gemma, in the book, lives it, and of course that is a big part of Harbison's personal background. You can hope for what will happen as you read/listen to it so it's quick and fun. ( )
  nyiper | Aug 30, 2013 |
Cup cake of a book. ( )
  Alphawoman | Aug 17, 2013 |
Forgot to write a review immediately after I'd read it which sucks cause those are the best.
I tend to forget very quickly.
Okay let me think.
It was an enjoyable read. not as good as Shoe Addict. I only read the first book, but it was definitely not bad.
Okay, I did not laugh out loud (If an author manages to make me do that, they will always end up getting a good review ;) )
What I liked is the narrator's job. That was fun. Too bad it ws obvious to me who was her one night crush.

I give it 3.5 stars. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
This was a fun and easy read. Very enjoyable ot sit down with. It not only made me want to get up and cook, it made me want to eat a little healthier too. The plot moved along nicely and I hope she writes more like this. ( )
  mchwest | Oct 13, 2012 |
When In Doubt Add Butter is a great beach read or in my case, car book. (I like to listen to light, beachy chick-lit books when I’m driving.) Gemma is was so sweet and likeable that I wanted good things to happen for her. The plot is somewhat predictable but that’s almost to be expected in this genre. I knew who Mr. Tuesday was and some other things that would be spoilers if I mentioned them way before Gemma did. However, I think that it may have been the author’s intent for the reader to have some things figured out before Gemma did and then root for Gemma to hurry up and figure it out herself.

The large cast of secondary characters was entertaining and fun. The narrator, Orlagh Cassidy did a great job of giving each person a unique voice that fit his or her personality. The ending wrapped everything up in a nice little package, which I actually liked but I thought it ended too soon. I would have loved a sequel instead of an epilogue – I didn’t want to let Gemma go and I wanted know the details of what happened in the year between the last chapter and the epilogue.

If you are a fan of chick-lit, then this is a great book for you. ( )
  mcelhra | Sep 25, 2012 |

From the New York Times bestselling author of Shoe Addicts Anonymous and Always Something There to Remind Me comes a delicious new novel about the search for true love and all the ingredients that go into it.

As far as Gemma is concerned, her days of dating are over. In fact, it’s her job to cater other peoples’ dates, and that’s just fine by her. At thirty-seven, she has her own business, working as a private chef, and her life feels full and secure. She’s got six steady clients that keep her hands full.

There’s Lex, the fussy but fabulous department store owner who loves Oysters Rockefeller and 1950s comfort food; Willa, who needs to lose weight under doctor’s orders but still believes butter makes everything better; a colorful family who may or may not be part of the Russian mob; an überwealthy Georgetown family; the picture-perfect Van Houghtens, whose matriarch is “allergic to everything”; and finally, a man she calls “Mr. Tuesday,” whom she has never met but who she is strangely drawn to.

For Gemma, cooking is predictable. Recipes are certain. Use good ingredients, follow the directions, and you are assured success. Life, on the other hand, is full of variables. So when Gemma’s takes an unexpected turn on a road she always thought was straight and narrow, she must face her past and move on in ways she never would have imagined. Because sometimes in life, all you need is a little hope, a lot of courage, and---oh yes---butter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:33 -0400)

Dedicating herself to her culinary patrons, private chef Gemma Craig goes home every night to boxed cereals until an unexpected event compels a confrontation with the past and an unexpected romance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible