Shift (Volume 2) by M R Merrick

Shift (Volume 2) (edition 2012)

by M R Merrick

Member:Hermyoni
Title:Shift (Volume 2)
Authors:M R Merrick
Info:M.R. Merrick (2012), Paperback, 348 pages

Shift by M R Merrick

I read Exiled, and absolutely loved it! After reading Shift, I'm a fan for life! Merrick has managed to bring fantasy and paranormal views together seamlessly.

If you loved the action in Exiled, you'll love the action scenes in Shift. Every time Chase and Rayna turn a corner someone is after them. It's that, or Rayna's beast is trying to come to the front. Shift is a little more emotional than Exiled. Chase is trying to deal with losing the person who matter most to him. He's always angry and can't control his elements. Chase also feels guilt about constantly putting those he cares about in danger.

I loved Rayna and Willy. Rayna shows a softer side that she tried to hide. She also learns more about herself. Willy finally shows some backbone. I have much respect for him. Tiki tries to fit into this new world, although he hates the clothes. I couldn't help but smirk when he'd be wearing his white pants and rope belt. By the end of the book I wanted to throw Vincent off a cliff. Too bad it wouldn't kill him. At least it'd bring some kind of pain.

There are a few new characters also. Chief is caring and willing to help Chase and Rayna as much as he possibly can. Karissa and Garrett are werecats. I think Karissa has a thing for Chase, which could be problematic. Just saying. :D I can't wait to see how all of these new relationships and alliances pan out.

Merrick does a fascinating job with the world building. I found myself on edge as Chase and his friends visited a new world. It was a dark and terrifying place. I hope we never have to visit again.

If you are a fan of fantasy and paranormal, definitely give this series a try. You won't be disappointed. I don't know why I waited so long to read these books. The story line is pretty EPIC!

BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Matt has done it again. I did not think the series could get any better then book one Exiled but I was wrong. I loved Exiled but Shift was ah~may~zing. We get to explore more worlds in Shift and Matt’s description is still awesome, vivid and beautiful even the underworlds are beautiful.

Chase is still discovering himself in Shift and his character grows so much. I love it when the characters show growth but still maintain who they are. Chase and Rayna are thrown into the middle of a supernatural war where they need to find away to stops forces that are trying to bring back the evil God Ithereal. But are they strong enough to stop the evil forces that threaten the world they live in. Chase learns that not everything he thought to be the truth is the truth and what he thought was enemies do become allies. Even former enemies become allies in this fight to save their world from being destroyed by evil forces. ( )
  amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |
M.R. Merrick did it again. He sucked me in and took me to a world of exciting intrigue and fantastical action.

There is a seamless connection between Exiled and Shift, there is no skipped beat or catching up. Chase is struggling with his loss (I will do my best to leave out details/ spoilers from book 1) and with his new found powers. He has very little control over, well... anything in his life right now.

Rayna is in a very similar situation. She is struggling for control in her life as a shifter. It's in these struggles that Chase and Rayna begin to form a sweet and strong bond. It seems neither of them can survive without the others help. I truly enjoy the slow simmering relationship that these two are forming. It's a strong partnership and I wish more authors would follow this line.

There were so many new characters brought to the forefront in this segment of the series. Yet, you do not ever get overwhelmed with them. Shifters take the lead here and these are not sugary soft cuddle bugs, they are fierce and ferocious. There is a fine line between friend or foe with these Supes and Chase and Rayna must tread the waters carefully. For overstepping in any direction could determine their success or downfall in the battle against Riley.

Shift does not deliver a cookie cutter YA book with a weak heroine who instantly falls for the hero (or hero as the case may be) and spends the next two hundred pages pining. It does deliver an action packed, breath holding tale filled with truly interesting characters that you can not help but root for. ( )
  MissAliGirl | Jan 29, 2013 |
Shift picks up where Exiled leaves off. Chase, who has found out he is "The Protector," now has the tattoo to prove it, and a ring that everyone is more than willing to kill to get their hands on. He finds his powers increasing, and new ones appearing, and is still trying to learn how to get his magic under control. Chase is worried about Rayna, as the demon in her tries to rip her apart. He's dealing with a devastating loss, and can't bear to lose anyone else that he has come to care about. Riley's power is getting stronger and Chase finds not only himself, but also his friends in battles of epic proportion that test his resolve to the very core of his being. Chase must decide if protecting the ring and stopping Riley's evil plan is worth the lives of his friends.

M. R. Merrick delivers another amazing read in Shift, the second book in The Protector Series. We get to see the same characters we met in Exiled, and are also introduced to some new ones in Shift, and yes, Vincent is still around, and is still........Vincent. I liked seeing the direction Rayna and Chase's relationship took in Shift, and Rayna shows her claws a little, pun intended, when it comes to her feelings for Chase. They fight even more epic and life-threatening battles, many of which occur in the underworld, encountering all kinds of creatures, as they try to stop Riley. Chase also makes some really good friends. Merrick takes the fantasy in Shift to an even higher level and gives the reader a roller coaster ride that is intense, thrilling, action-packed, and adrenaline filled. Shift is an outstanding sequel in this amazing series, which is one that you won't want to miss. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Jan 9, 2013 |
Review:

One word, Chase. Simply put I love this character. Chase is strong, brave and yet due to certain events that take place his lot in life is complicated heartbreaking as well. Nevertheless I was strongly pleased with the direction his character went in and dare I say it but I think I liked him more this go round than I did in Exiled (which considering he was my favorite says a lot). The death of a certain character (won't spoil for you) while tragic brought out the best in him in my opinion.

Rayna again proved to be a very close second in the favorite characters department. She is strong, spunky and just all around a bad ass chick. I especially enjoyed the intimate scenes she shared with Chase. You can really see the bond the two have and it's quite magical.

The writing again is seriously flawless. M.R. Merrick has this knack for just making things feel so real. I can picture everything so clearly, like I am watching it on the big screen. Speaking of which, When the heck is this series being made into a movie. This needs to happen!!

Overall this was a great book, I was entertained from start to finish. The character development is perfect and like I said above the writing is flawless. My only small gripes come from lack of certain characters. While I understand why they aren't present it still makes me miss them. I am highly encouraging you to pick this up and give it a go. I will be rating Shift by M.R. Merrick ★★★★. Worth a read, worth the price and definitely worth your time! ( )
  Hermyoni | Dec 29, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,178,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible