Shift (Volume 2) by M R Merrick

Shift (Volume 2) (edition 2012)

by M R Merrick

208515,329 (4.25)2
Member:Hermyoni
Title:Shift (Volume 2)
Authors:M R Merrick
Info:M.R. Merrick (2012), Paperback, 348 pages

Shift (The Protector Book 2) by M R Merrick

demons (1) fantasy (1) magic (1) paranormal (1) review (1) series (1) tour (1) vampires (1) YA (1)

M.R. Merrick did it again. He sucked me in and took me to a world of exciting intrigue and fantastical action.

There is a seamless connection between Exiled and Shift, there is no skipped beat or catching up. Chase is struggling with his loss (I will do my best to leave out details/ spoilers from book 1) and with his new found powers. He has very little control over, well... anything in his life right now.

Rayna is in a very similar situation. She is struggling for control in her life as a shifter. It's in these struggles that Chase and Rayna begin to form a sweet and strong bond. It seems neither of them can survive without the others help. I truly enjoy the slow simmering relationship that these two are forming. It's a strong partnership and I wish more authors would follow this line.

There were so many new characters brought to the forefront in this segment of the series. Yet, you do not ever get overwhelmed with them. Shifters take the lead here and these are not sugary soft cuddle bugs, they are fierce and ferocious. There is a fine line between friend or foe with these Supes and Chase and Rayna must tread the waters carefully. For overstepping in any direction could determine their success or downfall in the battle against Riley.

Shift does not deliver a cookie cutter YA book with a weak heroine who instantly falls for the hero (or hero as the case may be) and spends the next two hundred pages pining. It does deliver an action packed, breath holding tale filled with truly interesting characters that you can not help but root for. ( )
  MissAliGirl | Jan 29, 2013 |
Shift picks up where Exiled leaves off. Chase, who has found out he is "The Protector," now has the tattoo to prove it, and a ring that everyone is more than willing to kill to get their hands on. He finds his powers increasing, and new ones appearing, and is still trying to learn how to get his magic under control. Chase is worried about Rayna, as the demon in her tries to rip her apart. He's dealing with a devastating loss, and can't bear to lose anyone else that he has come to care about. Riley's power is getting stronger and Chase finds not only himself, but also his friends in battles of epic proportion that test his resolve to the very core of his being. Chase must decide if protecting the ring and stopping Riley's evil plan is worth the lives of his friends.

M. R. Merrick delivers another amazing read in Shift, the second book in The Protector Series. We get to see the same characters we met in Exiled, and are also introduced to some new ones in Shift, and yes, Vincent is still around, and is still........Vincent. I liked seeing the direction Rayna and Chase's relationship took in Shift, and Rayna shows her claws a little, pun intended, when it comes to her feelings for Chase. They fight even more epic and life-threatening battles, many of which occur in the underworld, encountering all kinds of creatures, as they try to stop Riley. Chase also makes some really good friends. Merrick takes the fantasy in Shift to an even higher level and gives the reader a roller coaster ride that is intense, thrilling, action-packed, and adrenaline filled. Shift is an outstanding sequel in this amazing series, which is one that you won't want to miss. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Jan 9, 2013 |
Review:

One word, Chase. Simply put I love this character. Chase is strong, brave and yet due to certain events that take place his lot in life is complicated heartbreaking as well. Nevertheless I was strongly pleased with the direction his character went in and dare I say it but I think I liked him more this go round than I did in Exiled (which considering he was my favorite says a lot). The death of a certain character (won't spoil for you) while tragic brought out the best in him in my opinion.

Rayna again proved to be a very close second in the favorite characters department. She is strong, spunky and just all around a bad ass chick. I especially enjoyed the intimate scenes she shared with Chase. You can really see the bond the two have and it's quite magical.

The writing again is seriously flawless. M.R. Merrick has this knack for just making things feel so real. I can picture everything so clearly, like I am watching it on the big screen. Speaking of which, When the heck is this series being made into a movie. This needs to happen!!

Overall this was a great book, I was entertained from start to finish. The character development is perfect and like I said above the writing is flawless. My only small gripes come from lack of certain characters. While I understand why they aren't present it still makes me miss them. I am highly encouraging you to pick this up and give it a go. I will be rating Shift by M.R. Merrick ★★★★. Worth a read, worth the price and definitely worth your time! ( )
  Hermyoni | Dec 29, 2012 |
Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2012/02/shift-brilliant-installment-in.htmlSmashtastic Entertainment Quickie: EXPLOSIVE!Interest in the book: I was totally impressed with the first book, Exiled, in The Protector series by M.R. Merrick, and looked forward to jumping back into Chase’s chaotic life. Or his arms? Either works for me.World-building: Hot damn, the world-building in this book was Ah to the Some. Shifters are more prominent in this book, and I absolutely loved the drama and action they brought to the story. Learning specifics about Shifter life and magic was interesting and entertaining. On another note, Chase is plagued by Riley and other nasty characters in his dreams, causing physical and mental trauma during play time. This type of magic is uber scary!Characters: Chase! My oh my, how this young man has bloomed before our very eyes. Dealing with grief from events in Exiled has led Chase down the path of retribution. Chase has hardened up a bit and has morphed into someone who does. not. play. As the series title so aptly portrays, Chase is ever so loyal and protective of those he loves, always the do-gooder and never backing down from what is right. And hello, confidence. Where has confident Chase been all my life?Rayna also has serious screen times as she struggles with the beast within. Her storyline was exciting and anxiety-ridden, but she is a tough cookie and can take it. Chase is beside her every step of the way, and she too remains by his side, working with him to gain control of his erratic powers. The budding romance between Chase and Rayna is so raw, natural and beautiful. On the topic of romance, M.R. Merrick drew out the tension, interrupting prime smooch time on numerous occasion, resulting in the angry fist of doom more than once.I must give a quick shout out for Rai! I fell in love with this creature in Exiled and was giddy with excitement that she remained in Chase’s life. I adore her and find her to be so valuable, mentally and physically. We also get to see a side of Vincent the vampire that I didn’t know he had, and I was quite freaked out by his demeanor in this book.Lasting Impressions: Explosive is the word I am using the describe this book. The story opens up with an explosive scene that resulted in my jaw making nice with the floor. All I could think about through the entire opening scene was “WOAH!” (Think Joey Lawrence a la Blossom). Then we are hurled through explosive actions scenes, more explosive dramatic scenes, and maybe an explosive romantic notion or two.The last line of the book only means there is much explosive fun to be had. I love where the story is headed and have no doubts that M.R. Merrick will give us nothing less than explosive epic storytelling!
  SmashAttack | Aug 12, 2012 |
Just like in Exiled, there is never a dull moment in Shift! It is totally action packed and full of adventure or intense moments. In the first third of the book we have Rayna nearly shapeshifting into a cat, Chase & Co. joining the Circle for an intense meeting, Willy turning into a werewolf, and Chase having multiple run-ins with his psycho possessed dad! Phew!

I adored Rayna more than ever in this book. She’s so feisty and spunky and doesn’t let anyone push her around or tell her what to do. Case in point:

“The men are talking here, love. Why don’t you leave the business to us, be a dear, and fetch me a pint of blood?”
“Excuse me?”
“Now, now, my sweet. Don’t make this bigger than it is. I need a few moments to discuss this with your friend.”
“For someone who’s five hundred years old, you’re an immature dick,” Rayna said.

In fact, this is something I love about all the characters! As I said, at the beginning of the book Chase, Rayna, Marcus, Vincent, and Willy, all have a meeting with the Circle. In most books I’ve read, when a group of people meets with another group who are “the authority,” they usually just accept what they say. The group with the official position of power will probably talk down to the other group and casually dish out insults, and the second group will just accept it because they don’t want to anger the “authoritative” group. This is so not the case in Shift!

Chase is pissed at the Circle for exiling him. Rayna hates them for murdering her mother. Marcus hates them for being corrupt power hungry pansies. None of them take any crap from the Circle and I LOVE IT! Rayna would bitch at them for insulting her mother and I’d just be screaming “YOU GO GIRL!” Yeah I got excited.

I feel like in this book, reality comes crashing down on all the characters. A lot of things began in Exiled but were brushed aside or thought of as things they’d deal with later, since there were more pressing matters. Well in Shift, it’s time to deal with them. They finally have to face Rayna’s shapeshifting problem. They have to figure out what the heck Chase’s ring from the goddess is for. Chase has to learn to control his powers. They have to track down and deal with Chase’s dad. And all the while, Chase is still burdened by his mother’s death. This causes tensions to run really high at times.

“We’ve got the elders, an angry hunter with godlike powers, and one very pissed off vampire after it. Did I mention we don’t have a clue where to start?”

I really liked how we learn more about Rayna and her past. In Exiled she was kind of mysterious. She was an awesome, kick-ass character, but we didn’t know who her father was, and we had very limited knowledge of her magical abilities. In Shift we learn a lot more about her dad, her shapeshifting “problem,” and her powers as a witch.

Throughout the book I was starting to get frustrated that Rayna and Chase’s relationship wasn’t moving forward into the romance zone. There was so much tension between them and I just kept wanting to shout, “Shut up and kiss already!” But just as I was going to give up, something did finally happen! Although given the circumstances, I am a little concerned that Chase will brush it off and not take it seriously. We’ll see!

I also thought the part just before the end was a bit of a letdown. I won’t reveal any spoilers, but I will say that they went on this crazy intense adventure, which was insanely awesome in the moment, but at the end, it was kind of all for nothing. So that was disappointing. I wanted to see more come of it. But the proper end was insanely awesome and intense and there was a crazy battle, so that kind of made up for it!

Shift has action pouring out of it from every angle and is also filled with awesome lore and adventure. We see hunters vs. shapeshifters, pawns of the Circle ganging up on Chase and Rayna, Chase vs. pureblood vampires, and so much more! We learn about about the seven gods in Chase’s world, the Underworld, and shifters. It’s definitely a worthy sequel to Exiled! ( )
  tripsis | Jul 31, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,143,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible