Shift (Volume 2) by M R Merrick

Shift (Volume 2) (edition 2012)

by M R Merrick

Member:Hermyoni
Title:Shift (Volume 2)
Authors:M R Merrick
Info:M.R. Merrick (2012), Paperback, 348 pages

Shift (The Protector Book 2) by M R Merrick

demons (1) fantasy (1) magic (1) paranormal (1) review (1) series (1) tour (1) vampires (1) YA (1)

M.R. Merrick did it again. He sucked me in and took me to a world of exciting intrigue and fantastical action.

There is a seamless connection between Exiled and Shift, there is no skipped beat or catching up. Chase is struggling with his loss (I will do my best to leave out details/ spoilers from book 1) and with his new found powers. He has very little control over, well... anything in his life right now.

Rayna is in a very similar situation. She is struggling for control in her life as a shifter. It's in these struggles that Chase and Rayna begin to form a sweet and strong bond. It seems neither of them can survive without the others help. I truly enjoy the slow simmering relationship that these two are forming. It's a strong partnership and I wish more authors would follow this line.

There were so many new characters brought to the forefront in this segment of the series. Yet, you do not ever get overwhelmed with them. Shifters take the lead here and these are not sugary soft cuddle bugs, they are fierce and ferocious. There is a fine line between friend or foe with these Supes and Chase and Rayna must tread the waters carefully. For overstepping in any direction could determine their success or downfall in the battle against Riley.

Shift does not deliver a cookie cutter YA book with a weak heroine who instantly falls for the hero (or hero as the case may be) and spends the next two hundred pages pining. It does deliver an action packed, breath holding tale filled with truly interesting characters that you can not help but root for. ( )
  MissAliGirl | Jan 29, 2013 |
Shift picks up where Exiled leaves off. Chase, who has found out he is "The Protector," now has the tattoo to prove it, and a ring that everyone is more than willing to kill to get their hands on. He finds his powers increasing, and new ones appearing, and is still trying to learn how to get his magic under control. Chase is worried about Rayna, as the demon in her tries to rip her apart. He's dealing with a devastating loss, and can't bear to lose anyone else that he has come to care about. Riley's power is getting stronger and Chase finds not only himself, but also his friends in battles of epic proportion that test his resolve to the very core of his being. Chase must decide if protecting the ring and stopping Riley's evil plan is worth the lives of his friends.

M. R. Merrick delivers another amazing read in Shift, the second book in The Protector Series. We get to see the same characters we met in Exiled, and are also introduced to some new ones in Shift, and yes, Vincent is still around, and is still........Vincent. I liked seeing the direction Rayna and Chase's relationship took in Shift, and Rayna shows her claws a little, pun intended, when it comes to her feelings for Chase. They fight even more epic and life-threatening battles, many of which occur in the underworld, encountering all kinds of creatures, as they try to stop Riley. Chase also makes some really good friends. Merrick takes the fantasy in Shift to an even higher level and gives the reader a roller coaster ride that is intense, thrilling, action-packed, and adrenaline filled. Shift is an outstanding sequel in this amazing series, which is one that you won't want to miss. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Jan 9, 2013 |
Review:

One word, Chase. Simply put I love this character. Chase is strong, brave and yet due to certain events that take place his lot in life is complicated heartbreaking as well. Nevertheless I was strongly pleased with the direction his character went in and dare I say it but I think I liked him more this go round than I did in Exiled (which considering he was my favorite says a lot). The death of a certain character (won't spoil for you) while tragic brought out the best in him in my opinion.

Rayna again proved to be a very close second in the favorite characters department. She is strong, spunky and just all around a bad ass chick. I especially enjoyed the intimate scenes she shared with Chase. You can really see the bond the two have and it's quite magical.

The writing again is seriously flawless. M.R. Merrick has this knack for just making things feel so real. I can picture everything so clearly, like I am watching it on the big screen. Speaking of which, When the heck is this series being made into a movie. This needs to happen!!

Overall this was a great book, I was entertained from start to finish. The character development is perfect and like I said above the writing is flawless. My only small gripes come from lack of certain characters. While I understand why they aren't present it still makes me miss them. I am highly encouraging you to pick this up and give it a go. I will be rating Shift by M.R. Merrick ★★★★. Worth a read, worth the price and definitely worth your time! ( )
  Hermyoni | Dec 29, 2012 |
Well, what’s to say! Book 2 in The Protector series certainly maintains the high intense, action packed adventure that book 1 began with. M.R. Merrick did an amazing job continuing the story and the characters in this book and the third is certainly going to be epic to continue Chase’s journey.

Chase is still struggling with the idea that his father is trying to invoke the powers of an evil God. His father’s ideas are crazy and go against every belief that Chase was told during his childhood. After surviving their last encounter, Chase is left devastated and trying to control his new abilities.

The Circle has requested a meeting, but Chase has his doubts as to their motives. After receiving gifts from the Goddess to help defeat his father, everybody seems to want control of the powerful ring. As the meeting continues, their ideals don’t change and Chase becomes outraged; a showdown is imminent.

All of the Underworld factions are up against each other and Chase seems to be stuck in the middle. Rayna is fighting a monster within and Willy was bitten by a werewolf during a scuffle. Everything seems to be going extremely wrong and Chase only has one thing in his sights. HIS FATHER!

Chase is trying to control his powers, support Rayna with her monster that’s trying to rip her apart, deal with Marcus and his betrayal all besides being tracked down by vampires, hunters and the Dark Brothers. Chase’s dreams are being invaded by the Dark Brother’s and what happens in his dreams seems to hurt his physical body. Nothing is going as to plan….

Will Chase be able to get control of his powers? Will he understand the ring and keep it safe? Can Rayna and Chase overcome their problems to realise their feelings for each other? Can Chase and Marcus gather enough followers to fight against the army of pureblood demons?

This is like Indiana Jones meets Underworld. Chase goes on an adventure of self-discovery in order to learn more about himself and how to stop his father. Along the way, realisation takes place that everybody is not as they seem and family is not only made by blood. Shift is full to the brim of action, destruction, betrayal, magic, life changing epiphanies and even a little romance. This is an amazing read, fast paced and with twists along the way that keeps you guessing. Just what is going to happen in book 3, Release? The descriptions of the beasts are so unusual and the other dimensions are so vivid you can almost reach out and touch them. One of my favourite parts was at the Witches store and how the owner appears old and blind only to change into a young lovely witch. Awesome!! Everybody needs to read this series. ( )
  ktu35114 | Nov 6, 2012 |
Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2012/02/shift-brilliant-installment-in.htmlSmashtastic Entertainment Quickie: EXPLOSIVE!Interest in the book: I was totally impressed with the first book, Exiled, in The Protector series by M.R. Merrick, and looked forward to jumping back into Chase’s chaotic life. Or his arms? Either works for me.World-building: Hot damn, the world-building in this book was Ah to the Some. Shifters are more prominent in this book, and I absolutely loved the drama and action they brought to the story. Learning specifics about Shifter life and magic was interesting and entertaining. On another note, Chase is plagued by Riley and other nasty characters in his dreams, causing physical and mental trauma during play time. This type of magic is uber scary!Characters: Chase! My oh my, how this young man has bloomed before our very eyes. Dealing with grief from events in Exiled has led Chase down the path of retribution. Chase has hardened up a bit and has morphed into someone who does. not. play. As the series title so aptly portrays, Chase is ever so loyal and protective of those he loves, always the do-gooder and never backing down from what is right. And hello, confidence. Where has confident Chase been all my life?Rayna also has serious screen times as she struggles with the beast within. Her storyline was exciting and anxiety-ridden, but she is a tough cookie and can take it. Chase is beside her every step of the way, and she too remains by his side, working with him to gain control of his erratic powers. The budding romance between Chase and Rayna is so raw, natural and beautiful. On the topic of romance, M.R. Merrick drew out the tension, interrupting prime smooch time on numerous occasion, resulting in the angry fist of doom more than once.I must give a quick shout out for Rai! I fell in love with this creature in Exiled and was giddy with excitement that she remained in Chase’s life. I adore her and find her to be so valuable, mentally and physically. We also get to see a side of Vincent the vampire that I didn’t know he had, and I was quite freaked out by his demeanor in this book.Lasting Impressions: Explosive is the word I am using the describe this book. The story opens up with an explosive scene that resulted in my jaw making nice with the floor. All I could think about through the entire opening scene was “WOAH!” (Think Joey Lawrence a la Blossom). Then we are hurled through explosive actions scenes, more explosive dramatic scenes, and maybe an explosive romantic notion or two.The last line of the book only means there is much explosive fun to be had. I love where the story is headed and have no doubts that M.R. Merrick will give us nothing less than explosive epic storytelling!
  SmashAttack | Aug 12, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible