Live by Night: A Novel by Dennis Lehane

Live by Night: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Dennis Lehane

Member:ken1952
Title:Live by Night: A Novel
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:William Morrow (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:***

Live by Night by Dennis Lehane

Recently added byrhughes1107, Tattersalls, jchays, private library, kidmd2, DF, rblossom17, ByShaunBailey, rybie2

English (59)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (64)
I credit this book for teaching me what type of crime novel I enjoy. This is because it's more or less divided into two parts. I would sum these up as lower than low and high rollin'. The latter part is vastly longer than the former. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the former far more.

I suppose some readers really enjoy stories on clawing your way to success, and it's spoils. Not me. I'd rather read a thousand pages on Capo Joe from Boston than a hundred on Tampa's Joe the Kingpin. All that said, I still found it entertaining, especially Part 2's climax. That chapter was fantastic, so yes, I would recommend this to fans of this genre. But first, I'd probably ask "Who's more entertaining, young Vito Corleone or older Michael Corleone?" ( )
  ByShaunBailey | Jul 10, 2017 |
Loved this introduction to Joe Coughlin. Hated the movie. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
Loved this introduction to Joe Coughlin. Hated the movie. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
I did not realize there was an earlier novel in this series. This is a standalone book. Joseph Coughlin is working on the opposite side of the law than his father who is hoping to become the Police Commissioner in Boston. Joseph is involved in robbery which leads to cops dying. He is arrested and sentenced to prison where he meets Maso, head of a powerful crime family in Boston. After his release from prison he goes to Tampa where he heads Maso's family branch there.

I enjoyed this story. The era of Prohibition, rum runners, and gangsters is portrayed very well here. Joe is not the strong arm. He works to get agreements from all parties involved. He gets involved with Cubans and gets them to work with him and cut out the others. He builds his own mob.

I liked the characters. They were complex--not all good or all bad. I like how Joe backs up his people and how he stands up for what he believes as he gets higher in the organization.

I will be reading more of this author ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 13, 2017 |
Dennis Lehane
LIVE BY NIGHT
William Morrow, 2012
402 pages
Crime / Fiction

I first discovered Dennis Lehane when I stumbled upon a paperback copy of Mystic River. I knew then I loved this writer. And although I then read several more titles, for some odd reason I drifted away from his books. No blame placed on the author whatsoever!

LIVE BY NIGHT has kind of a Departed, or Scarface feel to it. It was layered with an array of characters, three different settings, and constantly twisting plots! The story takes place during prohibition. And even those of us who are considered history-challenged know what happened when booze was outlawed?!? Speakeasies, moonshine, and gangsters sprang up everywhere!

Despite being the son of a Boston police captain, Joe Coughlin, has become an outlaw. He starts out small-time with the Bartolos brothers, Dion and Paolo. Given bad information they decide to hold-up a card game. Little did they know it was Albert White's game. Albert White was bad news. One of the big bad names in Boston. Once Coughlin realizes the error, he also realizes it is too late to stop what is already in motion.

When things get hot in town, and Coughlin knows it is best to back-off some, he commits to once last heist. A bank job. Only problem is, people are onto the game. Cops are tipped off. Nothing goes as planned. Coughlin does time in prison. Attempts are made on his life. He has a chance to turn things around, and takes it, placing himself in the hands of Albert White's enemy, Maso Pescatore.

Tasked with running the operation in Florida, Coughlin begins a new life, improving on his old way of life. He turns the swampy mass of Tampa into a thriving rum-running business for Pescatore. His rise to the top creates a host of enemies. There is no sleep for the man on top when there is always someone scheming to knock you down, or take you out.

Prohibition won't last forever, and as the end of a dry-reign is in sight, Coughlin clearly sees the writing on the wall. What is going to happen to his empire, to his family, to him?

At the movies not long ago, they showed a trailer for an upcoming Ben Affleck film, LIVE BY NIGHT. I knew that was a more recent Lehane novel, and immediately picked myself up a copy. I had to read it. My interest in Lehane has been restored. I devoured the novel in a few nights. it was absolutely absorbing. (Be advised, LIVE BY NIGHT is actually Book 2 in Lehane's Coughlin series).

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the Severed Empire Series,
and The Vaccination Trilogy ( )
  ptom3 | Feb 7, 2017 |
Men of God and men of war have strange affinities.  -- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It's too late to be good.  -- Lucky Luciano
For Angie
I'd drive all night...
Some years later, on a tugboat in the Gulf of Mexico, Joe Coughlin's feet were placed in a tub of cement.
"When she found his eyes, hers were fuller and sharper, lit with something that had entered the world centuries before civilized things." - pg. 19

"The people we service?" Tim said more than once. They visit the night. But we live in it." - pg. 22

" 'Crazy' isn't love," his father said.
"No, what is it?"
"Crazy." - pg.86

(from the book jacket)
Prohibition has given rise to an endless network of underground distilleries, speakeasies, gangsters, and corrupt cops.  Joe Coughlin, the youngest son of a prominent Boston police captain, has long since turned his back on his strict and proper upbringing.  Now having graduated from a childhood of petty theft to a career in the pay of the city's most fearsome mobsters, Joe enjoys spoils, thrills, and notoriety of being an outlaw.

But life on the dark side carries a heavy price. In a time when ruthless men of ambition, armed with cash, illegal booze, and guns, battle for control, no one - neither family nor friend, enemy nor lover - can be trusted.  Beyond money and power, even the threat of prison, one fate seems most likely for men like Joe: an early death.  But until that day, he and his friends are determined to live life to the hilt.

Joe embarks on a dizzying journey up the ladder of organized crime that takes him from the flash of Jazz Age Boston to the sensual shimmer of Tampa's Latin Quarter to the sizzling streets of Cuba.

In 1926, during the Prohibition, Joe Coughlin defies his strict law-and-order upbringing by climbing a ladder of organized crime that takes him from Boston to Cuba where he encounters a dangerous cast of characters who are all fighting for their piece of the American dream. By 1926, Prohibition has given rise to an endless network of underground distilleries, speakeasies, gangsters, and corrupt cops. Joe Coughlin, the youngest son of a prominent Boston Police captain, defies his proper upbringing and his father's strict law-and-order orthodoxy. Graduating from a childhood of petty theft to a career in the pay of the city's most fearsome mobsters, Joe enjoys the riches, thrills, and notoriety of being an outlaw. But life on the dark side carries a heavy price. In a time when ruthless men of ambition armed with cash, illegal booze, and guns battle for control, no one can be trusted. For men like Joe one fate seems more likely than all others, an early death.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,146,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible