Live by Night: A Novel by Dennis Lehane

Live by Night: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Dennis Lehane

920609,529 (3.8)39
Member:ken1952
Title:Live by Night: A Novel
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Info:William Morrow (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:***

Live by Night by Dennis Lehane

English (55)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (60)
Dennis Lehane
LIVE BY NIGHT
William Morrow, 2012
402 pages
Crime / Fiction

I first discovered Dennis Lehane when I stumbled upon a paperback copy of Mystic River. I knew then I loved this writer. And although I then read several more titles, for some odd reason I drifted away from his books. No blame placed on the author whatsoever!

LIVE BY NIGHT has kind of a Departed, or Scarface feel to it. It was layered with an array of characters, three different settings, and constantly twisting plots! The story takes place during prohibition. And even those of us who are considered history-challenged know what happened when booze was outlawed?!? Speakeasies, moonshine, and gangsters sprang up everywhere!

Despite being the son of a Boston police captain, Joe Coughlin, has become an outlaw. He starts out small-time with the Bartolos brothers, Dion and Paolo. Given bad information they decide to hold-up a card game. Little did they know it was Albert White's game. Albert White was bad news. One of the big bad names in Boston. Once Coughlin realizes the error, he also realizes it is too late to stop what is already in motion.

When things get hot in town, and Coughlin knows it is best to back-off some, he commits to once last heist. A bank job. Only problem is, people are onto the game. Cops are tipped off. Nothing goes as planned. Coughlin does time in prison. Attempts are made on his life. He has a chance to turn things around, and takes it, placing himself in the hands of Albert White's enemy, Maso Pescatore.

Tasked with running the operation in Florida, Coughlin begins a new life, improving on his old way of life. He turns the swampy mass of Tampa into a thriving rum-running business for Pescatore. His rise to the top creates a host of enemies. There is no sleep for the man on top when there is always someone scheming to knock you down, or take you out.

Prohibition won't last forever, and as the end of a dry-reign is in sight, Coughlin clearly sees the writing on the wall. What is going to happen to his empire, to his family, to him?

At the movies not long ago, they showed a trailer for an upcoming Ben Affleck film, LIVE BY NIGHT. I knew that was a more recent Lehane novel, and immediately picked myself up a copy. I had to read it. My interest in Lehane has been restored. I devoured the novel in a few nights. it was absolutely absorbing. (Be advised, LIVE BY NIGHT is actually Book 2 in Lehane's Coughlin series).

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the Severed Empire Series,
and The Vaccination Trilogy ( )
  ptom3 | Feb 7, 2017 |
[Live By Night] by Dennis Lehane
2.5 stars

From The Book:
unflinching tale of the making and unmaking of a gangster in the Prohibition Era of the Roaring Twenties—now a Warner Bros. movie starring Ben Affleck, Elle Fanning, Zoe Saldana, and Sienna Miller.

Meticulously researched and artfully told, Live by Night is the riveting story of one man’s rise from Boston petty thief to the Gulf Coast’s most successful rum runner.

My Thoughts:
I almost hate to rate or review this book since I feel that I'm not being very fair to it or it's very talented author. I have to admit that I chose the book solely to help complete a challenge and not because I was in anyway interested in the content. I'm going to watch the movie in hopes that it will hold more interest for me. Anyone interested in this period of history will more than likely find the book entertaining but for me it was a struggle. Please know that it in no manner reflected on the author or his ability to write an interesting story. I have read others of his books and thoroughly enjoyed them ( )
  Carol420 | Jan 21, 2017 |
Joe is a Gangster in Boston during Prohibition. Doing small jobs, gets caught and lands in prison. His father was police chief but taking graft. While in prison he gets set up by a big gangster after almost dying from beatings. He ends up in Tampa in the rum business and becomes a big wheel..Ybor city was his domain and he had it made there, but the Klan was in cahoots with the city fathers and they try to run him off. After that it was his boss who wanted him out. In the end he retires to Cuba with wife and son, but when he went back to Tampa his past caught up with him and his wife is murdered.. ( )
  pgabj | Jan 18, 2017 |
This story follows outlaw turned gangster Joe Coughlin, the son of a Boston police captain. This is a taught tale that mostly takes place during proabition that kept me reading to see how it all ends for Joe. ( )
  lewilliams | Jan 18, 2017 |
From New York Times bestselling author Dennis Lehane comes this epic, unflinching tale of the making and unmaking of a gangster in the Prohibition Era of the Roaring Twenties—soon to be a Warner Bros. movie starring Ben Affleck, Elle Fanning, Zoe Saldana, and Sienna Miller.

Meticulously researched and artfully told, Live by Night is the riveting story of one man's rise from Boston petty thief to the Gulf Coast's most successful rum runner, and it proves again that the accolades New York Times bestseller Lehane consistently receives are well deserved. He is indeed, "a master" (Philadelphia Inquirer) whose "true literary forefathers include John Steinbeck as well as Raymond Chandler" (Baltimore Sun). And, "Boy, does he know how to write" (Elmore Leonard).
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 4, 2016 |
Men of God and men of war have strange affinities.  -- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
It's too late to be good.  -- Lucky Luciano
For Angie
I'd drive all night...
Some years later, on a tugboat in the Gulf of Mexico, Joe Coughlin's feet were placed in a tub of cement.
"When she found his eyes, hers were fuller and sharper, lit with something that had entered the world centuries before civilized things." - pg. 19

"The people we service?" Tim said more than once. They visit the night. But we live in it." - pg. 22

" 'Crazy' isn't love," his father said.
"No, what is it?"
"Crazy." - pg.86

(from the book jacket)
Prohibition has given rise to an endless network of underground distilleries, speakeasies, gangsters, and corrupt cops.  Joe Coughlin, the youngest son of a prominent Boston police captain, has long since turned his back on his strict and proper upbringing.  Now having graduated from a childhood of petty theft to a career in the pay of the city's most fearsome mobsters, Joe enjoys spoils, thrills, and notoriety of being an outlaw.

But life on the dark side carries a heavy price. In a time when ruthless men of ambition, armed with cash, illegal booze, and guns, battle for control, no one - neither family nor friend, enemy nor lover - can be trusted.  Beyond money and power, even the threat of prison, one fate seems most likely for men like Joe: an early death.  But until that day, he and his friends are determined to live life to the hilt.

Joe embarks on a dizzying journey up the ladder of organized crime that takes him from the flash of Jazz Age Boston to the sensual shimmer of Tampa's Latin Quarter to the sizzling streets of Cuba.

In 1926, during the Prohibition, Joe Coughlin defies his strict law-and-order upbringing by climbing a ladder of organized crime that takes him from Boston to Cuba where he encounters a dangerous cast of characters who are all fighting for their piece of the American dream. By 1926, Prohibition has given rise to an endless network of underground distilleries, speakeasies, gangsters, and corrupt cops. Joe Coughlin, the youngest son of a prominent Boston Police captain, defies his proper upbringing and his father's strict law-and-order orthodoxy. Graduating from a childhood of petty theft to a career in the pay of the city's most fearsome mobsters, Joe enjoys the riches, thrills, and notoriety of being an outlaw. But life on the dark side carries a heavy price. In a time when ruthless men of ambition armed with cash, illegal booze, and guns battle for control, no one can be trusted. For men like Joe one fate seems more likely than all others, an early death.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible