Bitter blood : the Morganville vampires by…

Bitter blood : the Morganville vampires (edition 2012)

by Rachel Caine

1711469,515 (4)None
Member:chrisv10
Title:Bitter blood : the Morganville vampires
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:New York : New American Library, c2012.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:vampire, read2012

Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine

Yesssss ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
Before get into the review part I want to say something to the authors. There is a lesson needs to be learned from these so popular series that you should not drag them to the point where you won't have an actual story to tell without repetition of the same things. Nowadays, authors never seem to learn that from the downfall of other series.

Now for the review, well it's an ok book nothing great or wow worthy but ok that's all. I read the previous book more than one year back. So honestly I didn't remember anything from the last book except one fact that somehow they got rid of the draug. I was worried that it would ruin the experience of reading this book for me. But as it turned out there was nothing vital connection to the previous book. SO it didn't really matter much in the end.

There was gaping plot wholes in the story line. Honestly there was not much of a story at all until the very end. They were just doing their everyday boring activities and as usual people were trying to hurt them. The main villain was absent from the most part of the story. So I never really felt the presence of the menacing villain throughout the story even not when the she was actually present there at the end. There was not enough character in her at all to feel like she was a real threat or menacing. I mean how would you feel anything towards the villain at all if you don't get to know anything about her? I could be wrong here though. May be her character was described very well in some previous books but I completely forgot about them. So for me she felt completely unknown and a 'shoved in your face' kind of villain, you know just for the sake of it.

How could the founder become so stupid is beyond me. If she is so powerful, how could she not tell that she was being used? And the whole theme of the story is a repetition. Didn't Bishop also try the same kind of thing in some other book?

The novel dragged on and on about nothing for so long and at the very end all the problems got resolved very easily and haphazardly. The ending felt very rushed. What was the deal with the ghosts btw? I didn't understand their actions in the climax. I felt they were completely unnecessary to the plot and so was the TV show crew.

And I have to say this, Shane is such a jerk. I bet Myrnin trusts Claire more than Shane does, even though Myrnin is almost insane.

Even with all the flaws, I still enjoyed the book at some level. It wasn't exactly boring. Yes, there was lack of plot and action but in the end, I didn't feel as much unsatisfied as I thought I would be. It felt, the author ran out of good plots for the series. That's why I said, they should learn to close them before they get boring. The last two books are already out and I do hope they will be better read than this one. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
I never thought I'd see myself eager to read the thirteenth novel in a series, not least a vampire series. Good ones are few and far between, but Morganville stands among the best.

I'll admit, Bitter Blood definitely lacked purpose at times in comparison to previous novels. The antagonist this time around wasn't nearly threatening enough and only became a real issue towards the end of this 500 whopper.

Most of the book is about settling us back into good old Morganville which I can appreciate since we haven't seen the characters go about their business in the town in a while.

One gripe I had is that using Michael and Eve's marriage as a catalyst for the conflict felt a bit....eh. I mean, there was no real rush for them to get married, so the hate that ensued felt avoidable and forced. Not to mention, Eve seems really weak now. She pretty much bases her existence around Michael? Also, she has a habit of acting like being married makes their relationship more valid. Nope, a happy non-married couple is worth as much as a happy marriage. She kinda put herself and Michael above Claire and Shane. Not cool.

Also, the ghost hunter plot line was weird and not as prevalent as the synopsis made it seem like it would be. I'm happy that Miranda is still around but the ghost stuff is weird and messily addressed. I really don't know how to feel about that one.

One thing I need to address is Myrnin's sudden (or at least it was to me) love for Claire. I like it, but I feel like I missed some hint earlier in the books, as if I was supposed to know that.
I love Shane but I wouldn't complain about a little Myrnin/Claire action. Although, frankly, I never imagined Myrnin looking like a young-ish man. I always assumed he got turned 35 . Oops.

The love conflict towards the end was sucky (pun intended) because Morganville has never been about the romantic tension. I felt it though. It was realistic, and consistent with the characters and how they've reacted to similar situations in the past. I like that Claire stuck to her guns and didn't go, "ya know what? Walk all over me and don't trust me". She held her ground and damn am I proud. She made difficult decisions for herself and that's all I can ask of her.

This one gets my approval ( )
  katie1802 | May 11, 2014 |
Claire is just too good. Okay, this is going to sound bad but Claire needs a little bit of the killing instinct sometimes. (In the fictional sense of course) but I would have let Oliver die already. Claire keeps saving his life and I keep feeling like she shouldn't. I just have a bad feeling that in the end he will be the worst villain the glass house residents will have to go up against. Hopefully I'm wrong. Just had to put my two cents in on that.

Claire, Shane, Eve, and Micheal had a lot to deal with, as usual. Claire is definitely maturing and I know that she is dealing with the way of life in Morganville the best she can. Everyone else can seem to get her and keeps accusing her of taking sides. (I guess I'm in that boat sometimes). I was very proud of the way she dealt with Shane not trusting her, he was a total jerk and I hoped that she wouldn't let him off the hook too easily.

This series is still as compelling as the first book. Where is Rachel Caine getting all this material from? I thoroughly enjoyed Bitter Blood and was very surprised at the route it took by the end.

I wonder what path the series will be taking in the next book(s), especially since it's in it's final stages. Guess I'll have to just wait and see.

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
I really did enjoy this book more than the last one. It was quite an emotional roller coaster. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 8, 2013 |

College student Claire Danvers struggles to remain neutral in the growing conflict between the vampires and humans of Morganville, which is further complicated by the arrival of a ghost-seeking television production crew.

132 wanted2 pay7 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible