Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel by…

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Matthew Dicks

Member:kjwernz
Title:Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Dicks
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (silva_44)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books are abduction stories told from the perspective of a unique narrator.
    Love Anthony by Lisa Genova (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both books provide some insight into children who have ASD.

English (84)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (86)
IT has taken me a while to write a review for this one - I just wanted to think about it and savour it. I loved the book. It was a clear and deceptively simple story which was very well written and made me think long and hard about what I would do if I was in Budo's imaginary shoes. This would be a great one for book clubs - there is so much to talk about!
All I want to say is READ IT!! you won't regret it :) ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
The story is told by the imaginary friend of a boy who is on the autistic spectrum. It's an interesting perspective and an intriguing premise - that there is a parallel world of imaginary friends who can interact with each other and who have lives apart from their connection with their "imaginers". The narrative dragged a bit for me, though, and then the ending was somewhat rushed. I'm not sure if the boy's behavior during the climactic moments of the story was realistic. Couldn't help but compare the imaginary friend's selfish concerns about his existence and how to balance what was best for him versus what was best for the boy with real-life parents' similar concerns. ( )
  ValNewHope | Mar 5, 2016 |
I listened to the audio book. Charming. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
Very readable. A cross between Ghost and The Curious Incident of the Dog... ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is the first book in a long time that I truly devoured. I kept thinking up excuses to drive places (I was listening to it my car) so I could listen more, but at the same time I didn't want it to end. There was a lot of exposition in the beginning, but don't let that stop you. This far-from-ordinary story has many twists and turns in store. ( )
  mermaidatheart | Dec 1, 2015 |
For Clara
Here is what I know: My name is Budo.
But you have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.

A tale imparted from the perspective of long-time imaginary friend, Budo, traces his awareness of his advancing age and constant thought of the inevitable day when eight-year-old Max, an autistic boy, will stop believing in him.

Matthew Dicks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 2,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible