Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel by…

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Matthew Dicks

Member:kjwernz
Title:Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Dicks
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Room by Emma Donoghue (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books are abduction stories told from the perspective of a unique narrator.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (silva_44)

English (68)  German (1)  All languages (69)
In the voice of an eight-year-old, this novel tells the story of the in-existence-for-five- years Budo, the imaginary friend of Max, an autistic first-grade child. At the opening of the book, Budo clearly explains the differences in Max from a "normal" child, but shows such a loving understanding in doing so that it made me want to jump into the story to also befriend Max. Max is an only child whose parents tend to differ in how best to handle him. Max's idol is one of his teachers, Mrs. Gosk.

When Max suddenly disappears from school, no one knows what to do except Budo, who is determined to figure out what happened to Max. Budo's adventure is so imaginative that it becomes a quest to right a wrong.

Due to the simple narrative, I consider this a young adult book rather than an adult novel, but the story is so endearing, I recommend it for all ages. . ( )
  SqueakyChu | Nov 3, 2014 |
A beautiful, original story about the power of friendship. I adored this book. Sweet but not sappy, funny but not witty, clever but not too clever, Dicks hits all the right notes. The idea that there's a whole parallel world inhabited by imaginary friends is worth the price of admission all on its own. And there is so much more here. The boy, Max, who is on the Autism Spectrum, is portrayed with skill and love. Even when this story made me sad, and it did, it was a happy sad. You get that, right? ( )
  SonjaYoerg | Oct 1, 2014 |
This was such an unusual and creative premise for a story, unlike anything I've seen in ages. It is written in the voice of the imaginary friend of a young autistic boy. Dicks is an elementary school teacher himself, which, I believe, lends an measure of authenticity and understanding to his insights into the characters. But more than that, he manages to create believable dialogue and characters who are honest and innocent in ways that are at once surprising and credible. Humour, empathy and suspense carry this story throughout and in the end, the reader really cares about what happens. ( )
  jessibud2 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Certainly a unique protagonist we have here in Budo, the imaginary friend of young Max, a child who otherwise has no friends. Teachers will especially appreciate the uncanny depictions of the inner workings of an elementary school and everyone will be at the edge of their seats when the action picks up mid-way through the book. You'll be rooting for Budo (and Max) every step of the way. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Really lovely book. I had not anticipated such sweetness and such suspense. A wonderful look at life and death and what makes life worth living. Touching look at our imaginary friends. I wonder if Tema and Cola know that I remember them. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
For Clara
Here is what I know: My name is Budo.
But you have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.

A tale imparted from the perspective of long-time imaginary friend, Budo, traces his awareness of his advancing age and constant thought of the inevitable day when eight-year-old Max, an autistic boy, will stop believing in him.

Matthew Dicks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Dicks chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,005,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible