Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew…

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend (edition 2013)

by Matthew Dicks

Member:Finja2502
Title:Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Authors:Matthew Dicks
Info:Thorndike Press (2013), Edition: Lrg, Hardcover, 620 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:autism, friend, friendship, kidnapping

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Room by Emma Donoghue (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books are abduction stories told from the perspective of a unique narrator.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (silva_44)
    Love Anthony by Lisa Genova (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both books provide some insight into children who have ASD.

English (77)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (79)
Just the premise of this book is intriguing. It is told by Budo, the imaginary friend of Max, an eight-year old boy with special needs, most likely an Autism Spectrum Disorder. In fact, Max’s exact diagnosis is an ongoing issue with his parents. This discussion does not matter to Budo, who accepts Max for who he is and understands his every thought and action. It sometimes becomes difficult to remember that the narrator is a made-up character who exists only for Max and the imaginary friends of others. Since he does not have the same issues as Max, Budo is uniquely positioned to help Max get through the difficult days of too many people, too much touching and too much noise. But since Budo can only do what Max has imagined that he can do, he is also limited in his ability to help during a time of crisis. There are moments of humor, moments of tension, and moments of sadness, all combining to make this book difficult to put down.
Telling too much more would be a spoiler. The author is an elementary school teacher who seems to possess an incredible understanding of the thoughts and feelings of a child with Max’s problems. The creation of Budo as the narrator is brilliant and although Budo is only five years old (ancient for an imaginary friend, we are told), his wisdom, empathy and understanding does not appear to be inappropriate for his age. Perhaps Max needed to create someone smart enough to help him navigate his difficult life?
Highly recommended! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
A clever book with very lovable characters. 4.5 stars. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Cute book focusing on an imaginary friend saving his real friend from kidnapping. I wasn't sure about the target audience (topic and characters seemed aimed for small kids but it was long and included a few quite naughty words). I wasn't bought in at all at the beginning, and though it grew on me by about halfway through, the denouement and morality lessons were also a bit predictable. For a non-romance advanced-reader teenager crowd this book would be a hit. ( )
  pammab | Aug 8, 2015 |
Most of the complaints that I have seen about this book is that the writing is childish. The concept of the story is that it is told from the point of view of a child's imaginary friend, who admits that he really can know about as much as the child knows. His "childish" behavior is completely appropriate for this type of story and I absolutely loved it.

The main character in this book is the imaginary friend of a child with autism. The imaginary friend is the one who tells the story and it is a touching one, but also has moments of suspense and drama that really keep you reading at the end, not in a heart-pounding way, but in an emotional way.

As an educator, I found myself wishing that this message could be delivered to a younger audience because the way it is written (minus the adult situations and occasional swearing) is very conducive to helping younger children understand a peer with autism.

I had a hard copy of this book and I left it on a cruise ship for others to discover because I felt it should be discovered by many. The audio version was expertly performed I didn't want to stop listening, just as I didn't want the story itself to end. ( )
  mirrani | Jul 10, 2015 |
Author Matthew Dicks tells this story in an unusual way - from the point of view of a five-old-year. But this is not your typical five-year-old child. Budo was born out of the imagination of eight-year-old Max. Max has some problems dealing with people. He may have Asperger's, but maybe not. But there is definitely something not quite right, and so Budo is always there to help him get through the day. As long as Max believes in him, that is. But then something terrible happens, and even Budo with all his strange power cannot fix everything. Or maybe he can, with a little help from some other imaginary beings. This tale of selflessness and true giving in relationships that go beyond the norm is a work of art. Though devils are all around us, so are heroes, even when we can't see them. A marvelous story, masterfully written, thought-provoking, heartwarming, sad yet hopeful. ( )
  Maydacat | Jun 30, 2015 |
For Clara
Here is what I know: My name is Budo.
But you have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.

A tale imparted from the perspective of long-time imaginary friend, Budo, traces his awareness of his advancing age and constant thought of the inevitable day when eight-year-old Max, an autistic boy, will stop believing in him.

Matthew Dicks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Dicks chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible