Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel by…

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Matthew Dicks

Member:msf59
Title:Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Dicks
Info:St. Martin's Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks
Tags:audiobook

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Room by Emma Donoghue (arielfl)
    arielfl: Both books are abduction stories told from the perspective of a unique narrator.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (silva_44)

English (65)  German (1)  All languages (66)
Certainly a unique protagonist we have here in Budo, the imaginary friend of young Max, a child who otherwise has no friends. Teachers will especially appreciate the uncanny depictions of the inner workings of an elementary school and everyone will be at the edge of their seats when the action picks up mid-way through the book. You'll be rooting for Budo (and Max) every step of the way. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
Really lovely book. I had not anticipated such sweetness and such suspense. A wonderful look at life and death and what makes life worth living. Touching look at our imaginary friends. I wonder if Tema and Cola know that I remember them. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
What a great Read! A quick book, very interesting view from the imaginary friends perspective! I absolutely loved this book! Sweet, funny, full of suspense, sad, touching and heart warming. Good Read! ( )
  booklovers2 | Feb 8, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book, and would recommend listening to it on audio if at all possible--the narration was great! The story is told by Budo, the imaginary friend of eight-year-old Max. Budo has a surprising preoccupation with his own mortality, as he's lived a lot longer than most imaginary friends he's met and has watched some of his closest friends disappear once their children no longer need them. Max's Asperger's Syndrome has led him to continue to rely on Budo for years, but Max's parents and teachers are constantly pushing Max to engage more with the "real" world, and this makes Budo very nervous. He absolutely loves Max and wants the best for him, but is terrified by the prospect of "poofing" out of existence and being forgotten. When Max is placed in extreme jeopardy and seems to need Budo more than ever, Budo faces some VERY tough choices about what to do. The book is incredibly imaginative and Budo's world is peopled with a wide range of memorable friends, both imaginary and real. And it's a tearjerker...I think I cried throughout the entire final hour of the audiobook! ( )
  mrlzbth | Feb 6, 2014 |
From my blog

I really enjoyed this novel, very unique, Matthew Green has a special talent. I enjoy stories that allow us to hear what the characters are thinking but not actually saying so to get a story told from the imaginary friends point of view, it was brilliant in my mind, very clever.

Imaginary friends usually have a short lifespan but not Budo, he is five and counting. I believe Max to be autistic even though this was not confirmed. Max and Budo have a great trusting relationship, when this is tested is for the best. His mom and dad are good parents even though they are struggling with deciding to get Max help or as his dad says, wait, he is a late bloomer. This book made teachers look wonderful, I appreciated this as early educators are usually the one's that are remembered the most. The author is also a teacher which comes across while reading. One teacher had a special interest in Max, she was his paraprofessional and this relationship became a crime.

The book had me engaged and very intrigued with the imaginary friend world but once the crime took place the book took on a suspenseful adventure, loved this. We knew who done the crime but the when they will be caught, if they will be, by who was edge of your seat worthy, almost makes you want to skip ahead because you just have to know how it ends, very well done.

I loved how Budo was struggling through out the book on when imaginary friends and himself will die and that their person is in charge of your destiny with continuing to believe in them.

My only issue is it felt a little repetitive at times and I felt like the author considered changing who Budo's audience was. When he was talking to other imaginary friends I got it but when he was speaking to the reader it felt patronizing, as if I was five. eg. I feel like the elephant in the room. This is an expression that means there is something two people know that is as big as an elephant but no one wants to talk about it. On Kindle at 25%

Such an engaging read, I think many will enjoy this novel. ( )
  marcejewels | Jan 16, 2014 |
For Clara
Here is what I know: My name is Budo.

A tale imparted from the perspective of long-time imaginary friend, Budo, traces his awareness of his advancing age and constant thought of the inevitable day when eight-year-old Max, an autistic boy, will stop believing in him.

Matthew Dicks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Dicks chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,731,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible