dismiss

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

5,5662231,276 (3.87)3 / 424
A single word was scrawled across the wall in blood red letters. Holmes and Watson are deducing again.
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo, TheEclecticBookworm)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (203)  Spanish (7)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (221)
Serves as a great introduction to Holmes and goes the route of creating a human and sympathetic villain. You also can't help but be impressed by the lengths Doyle must have gone to in terms of research. ( )
  Conor.Murphy | May 27, 2020 |
I LOVE this book. Me personally, I really like detective stories. So of coarse I had to go and read Sherlock Holmes. Its the book every one knows even if they haven't read it. They even made two movies and a show about Sherlock Holmes. The only thing I didn't really like about this book is that the murders back story was so long. I didn't wanna hear that much about a guy who just murdered some people. Though it does help you understand why he did it, I think that it was still too long.

It first started with Watson who ended up meeting Sherlock through a connection because the both needed a cheep place to stay. They end up splitting the rent of an apartment big enough for the both of them. Eventually Sherlock gets a request to help find a murderer. When they go to the seen of the crime they find a word written in blood even though it seems that the one who was murdered wasn't stabbed or anything. Shortly after this person was murdered another one bites the dust. The same word was written on a wall in blood, and this time the murderer left the murder weapon. some pills in a box. When they do capture the murderer he tells his hole back story which takes a surprising long time. ( )
  SJousma.ELA4 | May 22, 2020 |
It was great to see the start of the Holmes/Watson partnership, and I also really enjoyed seeing the similarities and differences between the original "Study In Scarlet" and the re-envisioned version used in the TV series "Sherlock". However, the interlude in Salt Lake City part-way through the story was a bit jarring and odd. It took me a bit to figure out that I was still in the same story. Still told in the same style and tone, but it was unclear at first that we were getting backstory instead of a new, unrelated short story. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 19, 2020 |
I've long felt bad about never having read any of the nine books that make up the Sherlock Holmes canon, so finally I've rectified that... and what an odd little work it is.

The first half of the book is what's important, historically, but it's the least interesting. Conan Doyle doesn't write natural dialogue, and a result the discussions between Watson and Holmes come across more like a treatise on how detective work - in the real world and in novels - is evolving and progressing. While this is all very very interesting, particularly to someone like myself who has read a lot of Christie and Poe etc, it feels like an essay that has been structured in story form, rather than the other way around.

On top of this, I concede that I have a bias against this "one really smart quirky man always outdoes everyone" formula. Holmes started it, but it's returned in the last ten years or so to television, and personally I think it just weakens the narrative when every other character functions only as a sounding board for our god of a leading man. Sherlock is cunningly described by Watson as a seemingly paradoxical man who in fact has rational reasons for all of his education and activities, although even the great detective can't seem to fix his (bipolar?) moods. As their friendship is still embryonic at this stage, Watson can give us no insight into Holmes' life, and Holmes offers none, so he remains a cipher. But I'm treating this as a pilot episode, so that's okay. More immediately fascinating are the elements of contemporary life: street beggars working for Holmes, the necessary advantages and disadvantages that came from being a police officer in the era - thrilling stuff.

The second half is a mixed bag also. Conan Doyle is an admirable prose writer, and his description of the events twenty years prior to the murders is captivating and gripping. On the other hand, it is filled with amazingly anti-Mormon sentiment. I'm no religious sympathiser myself, but I couldn't take it seriously when the narrator assured us that all Mormons kill or destroy anyone who attempts to leave their faith.

An odd little novel, and I've already started the second one, since I'm very eager to see if Conan Doyle can somehow retain his marvelous leading character, whilst furthering his skills in the other required areas.

(Two and a half stars) ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
It started off really well, and I'm glad I finally got to read how Holmes and Watson met, but the story deteriorated in part 2. This just wasn't one of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories, but it was still interesting. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |

A Study in Scarlet / The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Celebrated Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes - Edição Completa: Romances e Contos by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Volume One) by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Complete Sherlock Holmes and The Complete Tales Of Terror and Mystery by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

De complete avonturen van Sherlock Holmes / 1 by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes. Tom 1 by Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet and Other Stories (Sherlock Holmes Edition) (Conan Doyle's Best Books, 1) by Arthur Conan Doyle

British Mystery Megapack Volume 5 - The Sherlock Holmes Collection: 4 Novels and 43 Short Stories + Extras by Arthur Conan Doyle

Oeuvres complètes : II. Étude en rouge. Le Signe des quatre. Les Aventures de Sherlock Holmes. by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection by Arthur Conan Doyle

I grandi romanzi inglesi: Nuove traduzioni by Jane Austen

The Celebrated Cases of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

British Mystery Megapack Volume 4: The Secret Adversary, Tales of Chinatown, At The Villa Rose, Egyptian Cigarette, A Study In Scarlet by A. A. Milne

Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

শার্লক হোমস সমগ্র by আর্থার কোনান ডয়েল

Sherlock Holmes Omnibus by Arthur Conan Doyle

Tutto Sherlock Holmes (eNewton Classici) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Späte Rache / Das Zeichen der Vier / Der Hund von Baskerville. by Arthur Conan Doyle

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

[None]
[None]
In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100836, 1400109418, 1400115132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,478,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible