A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (1)

4,0961751,233 (3.85)3 / 348
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (159)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (175)
Before this book, I’d only read The Hound of the Baskervilles, so I’d never actually gotten to see the beginning of Holmes' and Watson’s adventures. Having read A Study in Scarlet, I now realize that I should have started with this story instead. It introduces the characters to the reader - and to each other - providing the perfect foundation for the rest of the mysteries.

Watching Sherlock Holmes go about solving the case is highly entertaining. When the story suddenly shifts gears to delve into the killer’s motivations, I was a little annoyed at first. But it wasn’t long before I found myself gripped by this mini story-within-a-story. The descriptions of the American West and the Mormons are hilariously inaccurate at times (espcially with the distinctly British dialogue), but it serves to show what the attitudes and beliefs were in England at the time. I found myself just as captivated watching this drama play out as I was by the mystery itself.

In short, if you’re looking for a good place to start with Sherlock Holmes, look no further than A Study in Scarlet. As much as I love the various TV and movie iterations, there’s no character quite like Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. ( )
  les121 | Mar 14, 2016 |
There really wasn't much to this story. The actual mystery was about 10 pages long. The rest was all backstory. It was interesting backstory, but it wasn't essential to the plot. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
This introduction to the legendary Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson is fun to read, especially after all of the adaptations that have followed Arthur Conan Doyle's creation. The first case of murder with the word "Rache" written in blood on the wall provides an entertaining look at how Holmes works. The insertion of the second story is a bit jarring as it's connection to the first case is seemingly so far removed. The setting switches from London to the American West and the roots of Mormonism, depicted by Conan Doyle as a murderous, kidnapping, and enslaving community. The culmination of the stories is satisfactory and puts the focus of the narrative back on Holmes and his investigative skills. ( )
  bookappeal | Feb 13, 2016 |
I was very much enjoying this book when all of a sudden I realized I was entirely lost.
The writing style, characters, narration and the facts leading up to the mystery were all remarkably good, but in the end I was left completely confused and I found myself questioning if I somehow missed something. After that ridiculous backstory of the murderer, I still have to ask... Who the hell is it? What just happened?
I will certainly read more of Holmes as there is much to come back for. I may have to re-read this one to see where I fell off from the story. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
After returning injured from Afghanistan war, Dr. Watson finds through common friends a roommate in London, to share the expenses of a studio. His room mate is no other than Sherlock Homes, a man with estrange habits, that works as a consultant detective. He is asked by detectives from Scotland Yard to help them in solving a double murder in the outskirts of London. Through reasoning and observation he links a love story followed by another double murder that happened in Utah, United States, to this current murder case, to come up brilliantly with the identity of the assassin. The idea is fantastic and the intertwining of the two stories is very well executed. No wonder why this is a classic!
I bought this book from amazon.com in its electronic version. Opinions expressed here are my own.
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140057072, Paperback)

Arthur Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet is the first published story involving the legendary Sherlock Holmes, arguably the world's best-known detective, and the first narrative by Holmes's Boswell, the unassuming Dr. Watson, a military surgeon lately returned from the Afghan War. Watson needs a flat-mate and a diversion. Holmes needs a foil. And thus a great literary collaboration begins.

Watson and Holmes move to a now-famous address, 221B Baker Street, where Watson is introduced to Holmes's eccentricities as well as his uncanny ability to deduce information about his fellow beings. Somewhat shaken by Holmes's egotism, Watson is nonetheless dazzled by his seemingly magical ability to provide detailed information about a man glimpsed once under the streetlamp across the road.

Then murder. Facing a deserted house, a twisted corpse with no wounds, a mysterious phrase drawn in blood on the wall, and the buffoons of Scotland Yard--Lestrade and Gregson--Holmes measures, observes, picks up a pinch of this and a pinch of that, and generally baffles his faithful Watson. Later, Holmes explains: "In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward.... There are few people who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were which led up to that result." Holmes is in that elite group.

Conan Doyle quickly learned that it was Holmes's deductions that were of most interest to his readers. The lengthy flashback, while a convention of popular fiction, simply distracted from readers' real focus. It is when Holmes and Watson gather before the coal fire and Holmes sums up the deductions that led him to the successful apprehension of the criminal that we are most captivated. Subsequent Holmes stories--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--rightly plunge the twosome directly into the middle of a baffling crime, piling mystery upon mystery until Holmes's denouement once more leaves the dazzled Watson murmuring, "You are wonderful, Holmes!" Generations of readers agree. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

In this first of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes and Dr. Watson investigate the murder of an American and his private secretary.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100836, 1400109418, 1400115132

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible