A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (1)

3,5411541,494 (3.84)1 / 308
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (139)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (153)
I liked "The Lost World" so much that I wanted to find another Doyle audio book.

There were lots of collections of short stories on Sherlock Holmes, but this seemed like the only long complete tail.

It was long. I would have been happy if ended at about the end of the first half and they just told us how he determined the killer.

Instead they started this whole other story about Mormons in the U.S. It was so different that I honestly didn't realize it was the same book. I thought it was some kind of "bonus feature" or something on the MP3 CD Disk. At the end of the second half they tied it all together, I won't spoil the ending, but part of me wishes someone had. ( )
  fulner | Nov 24, 2014 |
The two are polar opposites, but make for a great team. The book was definitely not what I was expecting though. Its broken down into two parts. Part one was the mysterious death and Holmes’ reveal of the murderer. Part two provided the back story to the murder. That part was very confusing, long-winded and bizarre. Particularly its depiction of Mormonism at its worst with power-hungry elders. Told through Watson’s point of view, we never really pick up or know what clues lead Sherlock to his great deductions.

Read more at: http://thenovelworld.com/2014/10/27/book-review-a-study-in-scarlet-by-sir-arthur... ( )
  TheNovelWorld | Oct 27, 2014 |
First Sherlock Holmes novel. OK, but kind of hard to see in retrospect what the big deal was about. Holmes is just so unlikable. Gives history of how he and Watson got together though. Interesting but more in an historical sense than how it may stand on its own. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Before reading this, my first reading of the Arthur Conan Doyle originals, my first encounter with Sherlock Holmes was CSI's Who Shot Sherlock episode. Since then I've enjoyed the likes of Mr. Patrick Jane of The Mentalist, Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock (BBC) and Johnny Lee Miller's Elementary. I'd also argue there's a bit of Holmes in Sheldon of The Big Bang Theory as well. Those adaptations far surpassed the original. Sherlock in particular, provides the closest modern interpretation of the original text and was far more enjoyable.

There's no question: Holmes is an arrogant ass, but where current interpretations have differed and improved is by providing other sympathetic characters and a sense of adventure and fun to balance out the insufferable Holmes' ego. Without those here, I was tempted to reach into the book and throttle Mr. I'm Better Than Everyone Else.

Part I managed to hold my attention, the beginning of which was very intriguing, but Part II saw me confused by the change of scenery and characters, and felt overly long for the information it was conveying. The portrayal of Mormonism left me uncomfortable. Since I'm not very familiar with their way of life I'm unable to comment on it's veracity here, though my gut says it's an unfavourable, extremist and sensational portrayal you might come across in the media when detailing a crime(s) in those communities, similar to those described in The Chosen One.

Another complaint I have applies to the plot itself. I've become accustomed to playing along in solving the mystery alongside the investigators while reading or watching crime and I was unable to do this here. Sherlock alone spots clues and keeps them all to himself until his big reveal -that's the one major downside to reading Watson's POV.

Despite finding [b:A Study in Scarlet|102868|A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)|Arthur Conan Doyle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348362236s/102868.jpg|1997473] a disappointing venture, I think I'll continue to read more of the originals hoping Sir [a:Arthur Conan Doyle|2448|Arthur Conan Doyle|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1289836561p2/2448.jpg]'s supposed talent developed into providing a more engaging read.

*Read as part of [b:The Complete Sherlock Holmes|16566323|The Complete Sherlock Holmes|Arthur Conan Doyle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355399574s/16566323.jpg|7492217], here. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I finished this book in pretty much one sitting, both to try to take advantage of my spring break to catch up on the 50 book challenge and to finish reading one of the many books lent to me by my sister in order to fill a box that I will be sending to her shortly. Though I didn't expect to finish it quite so quickly. I was instantly transported back to the days of watching Sherlock Holmes on PBS with my father and said sister. When is that series going to come out on DVD? ::sigh:: Anyway, the book was completely absorbing, though I have to wonder if early Mormon history was as bloodthirsty as dear Sir Arthur makes it out to me. But I won't say anything else so as not to spoil the ending. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Who killed the two American travellers [book spelling] ... one with a poison pill, the other with a knife to the heart?

Why did the murderer inscribe the German word for "vengeance" in blood? Why did he leave behind a woman's wedding ring?

What was the connection between these two deaths and thd dangerous Socialist societies flourishing on the Continent and in America?

And how did Holmes, in London, unravel a mystery that began in the desert wastes of Utah, spread to the capital cities of Europe and came to a fatal climax in England?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140057072, Paperback)

Arthur Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet is the first published story involving the legendary Sherlock Holmes, arguably the world's best-known detective, and the first narrative by Holmes's Boswell, the unassuming Dr. Watson, a military surgeon lately returned from the Afghan War. Watson needs a flat-mate and a diversion. Holmes needs a foil. And thus a great literary collaboration begins.

Watson and Holmes move to a now-famous address, 221B Baker Street, where Watson is introduced to Holmes's eccentricities as well as his uncanny ability to deduce information about his fellow beings. Somewhat shaken by Holmes's egotism, Watson is nonetheless dazzled by his seemingly magical ability to provide detailed information about a man glimpsed once under the streetlamp across the road.

Then murder. Facing a deserted house, a twisted corpse with no wounds, a mysterious phrase drawn in blood on the wall, and the buffoons of Scotland Yard--Lestrade and Gregson--Holmes measures, observes, picks up a pinch of this and a pinch of that, and generally baffles his faithful Watson. Later, Holmes explains: "In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward.... There are few people who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were which led up to that result." Holmes is in that elite group.

Conan Doyle quickly learned that it was Holmes's deductions that were of most interest to his readers. The lengthy flashback, while a convention of popular fiction, simply distracted from readers' real focus. It is when Holmes and Watson gather before the coal fire and Holmes sums up the deductions that led him to the successful apprehension of the criminal that we are most captivated. Subsequent Holmes stories--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--rightly plunge the twosome directly into the middle of a baffling crime, piling mystery upon mystery until Holmes's denouement once more leaves the dazzled Watson murmuring, "You are wonderful, Holmes!" Generations of readers agree. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:35 -0400)

In this first of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes and Dr. Watson investigate the murder of an American and his private secretary.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible