A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (1)

3,4021491,587 (3.84)1 / 300
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (135)  Spanish (6)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (147)
The first of the Sherlock Holmes stories and an excellent opener. Fully intend to (finally) read all the others... a glaring gap in my literary history. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
3.5 stars

This is the first Sherlock Holmes novel when Dr. Watson first meets Holmes. They become roommates and soon after, there is a murder. The mystery is actually solved in part one of the story, then part two gives more background information on how/why it all happened.

It was off and on for me for holding my interest. I was just getting interested in Watson and Holmes getting to know each other, then the murder came about. I lost focus for a bit, then was getting interested again when part one ended, and there was a shift to different characters and a different setting, which caused me to lose interest a bit, once again. Once that got going, I got interested again. I do think I liked this better than the Holmes short stories I've read (although the way it was structured it almost felt like a couple of short stories until it came together in the end!). Overall, I liked it enough to rate it good. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 20, 2014 |
This book is very complex and has many round-a-bouts of sorts in the plot, jumping from backstory to backstory and gradually tying all together and giving an explanation to all the details you gather throughout it. 4Q4P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because I really like the BBC show adaptation of the books. BejaminA
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
Though I've read some of the short stories before, this is my first time reading a Sherlock Holmes novel-- though I suspect "novella" is more accurate in this case. You can kinda see Holmes writing his way into the character and his milieu: Watson list of Holmes's supposed defects of knowledge is not only contradicted by later stories, but the later chapters of this one! (And doesn't really make any sense anyway.) It's hard to imagine the Watson of the later stories as the layabout young man he is here, though that might be more the adaptations influencing me. As for the story itself... it certainly has a number of good moments, but you can see why Doyle shifted Holmes to the genre of the short story, where he is a much better fit: even at its short length, this goes on a little bit too much. Though I actually did like the extended Utah flashback!
  Stevil2001 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Sherlock Holmes is a unique and distinctive character in classic fiction. He derives deductions from the tiniest circumstantial details no one else would ever notice. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Jul 30, 2014 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Inspired

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Who killed the two American travellers [book spelling] ... one with a poison pill, the other with a knife to the heart?

Why did the murderer inscribe the German word for "vengeance" in blood? Why did he leave behind a woman's wedding ring?

What was the connection between these two deaths and thd dangerous Socialist societies flourishing on the Continent and in America?

And how did Holmes, in London, unravel a mystery that began in the desert wastes of Utah, spread to the capital cities of Europe and came to a fatal climax in England?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140057072, Paperback)

Arthur Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet is the first published story involving the legendary Sherlock Holmes, arguably the world's best-known detective, and the first narrative by Holmes's Boswell, the unassuming Dr. Watson, a military surgeon lately returned from the Afghan War. Watson needs a flat-mate and a diversion. Holmes needs a foil. And thus a great literary collaboration begins.

Watson and Holmes move to a now-famous address, 221B Baker Street, where Watson is introduced to Holmes's eccentricities as well as his uncanny ability to deduce information about his fellow beings. Somewhat shaken by Holmes's egotism, Watson is nonetheless dazzled by his seemingly magical ability to provide detailed information about a man glimpsed once under the streetlamp across the road.

Then murder. Facing a deserted house, a twisted corpse with no wounds, a mysterious phrase drawn in blood on the wall, and the buffoons of Scotland Yard--Lestrade and Gregson--Holmes measures, observes, picks up a pinch of this and a pinch of that, and generally baffles his faithful Watson. Later, Holmes explains: "In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward.... There are few people who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were which led up to that result." Holmes is in that elite group.

Conan Doyle quickly learned that it was Holmes's deductions that were of most interest to his readers. The lengthy flashback, while a convention of popular fiction, simply distracted from readers' real focus. It is when Holmes and Watson gather before the coal fire and Holmes sums up the deductions that led him to the successful apprehension of the criminal that we are most captivated. Subsequent Holmes stories--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--rightly plunge the twosome directly into the middle of a baffling crime, piling mystery upon mystery until Holmes's denouement once more leaves the dazzled Watson murmuring, "You are wonderful, Holmes!" Generations of readers agree. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:35 -0400)

In this first of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes and Dr. Watson investigate the murder of an American and his private secretary.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible