A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (original 1887; edition 2017)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)

5,1262051,325 (3.87)3 / 410
Member:seniwati
Title:A Study in Scarlet
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2017), 72 pages
Collections:Finished

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle (1887)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (187)  Spanish (7)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (205)
Hm.

This book was divided into two parts. I enjoyed the first part, and would have rated it 4.5 stars, but then it had several chapters that at first didn't seem related at all, and even once the connection was made clear, I just couldn't get back into the story. So, overall, I'm a little disappointed. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
Interesting to read how the cannon started. The bones of the story were good but some of the sentences and paragraphs were astonishingly bad. Doyle also had a habit of overusing some words (e.g. savage). By chance, I have also started reading War and Peace and the contrast is mastery of language is impressive. Granted, I am reading War in Peace in translation but the translator would still be bound by the source material. ( )
  KateSavage | Mar 29, 2019 |
My first ever Holmes. Wonderfully there is much of the modern understanding of Sherlock Holmes clearly laid out on the page. He is perhaps even more self aware than TV and movie adaptations allow describing his mood swings and eccentricities to Dr. Watson even before they move in together.

There is a remarkable section in the middle where the narrative goes all Fenimore Cooper and we are transported from London to the snowy peaks of Utah. Quite unexpected. This was more fun even than I had expected. Fortunately I have already purchased further volumes. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Reading A Study in Scarlet I saw how it became a hit and why my professor didn't assign it along with other Holmes stories when I took British Detective Fiction. Parts of the story's content is unusual and Watson and Holmes was a great pairing from the start, but on the other hand, Holmes is extra douchey in his exposition. And not in a "oh, what a lovable eccentric curmudgeon" kind of way, either.

I also can't get the BBC's Sherlock turnabout on Doyle's more absurd plot elements out of my mind. I can't help thinking about how much more interesting the audiovisual Holmes is in comparison to this stuffy, self-centered drawing-room bore. "Oh yes please, tell me more about the soil composition of East London!"

And then the story shifted to 19th century Mormon country. Thankfully Doyle writes of the establishment of Utah as the Mormon promised land as if it were the establishment of some authoritarian Soviet Bloc nation. Objectionable as some may find this it makes an otherwise complete waste of time interesting. Thankfully mystery writers would work on making the motive behind a crime at least as interesting as the crime itself.

I'm teetering on this one. Aside from the significance of Scarlet being the first Holmes adventure there isn't much to recommend it, but I can't consider it a total wash as so much better did follow.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1 ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Ok, so I liked this book, but I forgot how weird the middle part is. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140057072, Paperback)

Arthur Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet is the first published story involving the legendary Sherlock Holmes, arguably the world's best-known detective, and the first narrative by Holmes's Boswell, the unassuming Dr. Watson, a military surgeon lately returned from the Afghan War. Watson needs a flat-mate and a diversion. Holmes needs a foil. And thus a great literary collaboration begins.

Watson and Holmes move to a now-famous address, 221B Baker Street, where Watson is introduced to Holmes's eccentricities as well as his uncanny ability to deduce information about his fellow beings. Somewhat shaken by Holmes's egotism, Watson is nonetheless dazzled by his seemingly magical ability to provide detailed information about a man glimpsed once under the streetlamp across the road.

Then murder. Facing a deserted house, a twisted corpse with no wounds, a mysterious phrase drawn in blood on the wall, and the buffoons of Scotland Yard--Lestrade and Gregson--Holmes measures, observes, picks up a pinch of this and a pinch of that, and generally baffles his faithful Watson. Later, Holmes explains: "In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward.... There are few people who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were which led up to that result." Holmes is in that elite group.

Conan Doyle quickly learned that it was Holmes's deductions that were of most interest to his readers. The lengthy flashback, while a convention of popular fiction, simply distracted from readers' real focus. It is when Holmes and Watson gather before the coal fire and Holmes sums up the deductions that led him to the successful apprehension of the criminal that we are most captivated. Subsequent Holmes stories--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--rightly plunge the twosome directly into the middle of a baffling crime, piling mystery upon mystery until Holmes's denouement once more leaves the dazzled Watson murmuring, "You are wonderful, Holmes!" Generations of readers agree. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

In this first of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes and Dr. Watson investigate the murder of an American and his private secretary.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100836, 1400109418, 1400115132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,587,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible