A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

4,1661781,203 (3.85)3 / 354
Member:john257hopper
Title:A Study in Scarlet
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:
Collections:Your library, Owned, eBooks
Rating:*****
Tags:eBook, fiction, 2012, Kindle Store, from Sherlock Holmes Illustrated and Complete

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1887)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign Of The Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (162)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (178)
4.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Doyle's work is surprisingly accessible for being so old. I'm glad that a bookcrossing.com member gave me a stack of Holmes. This novelette (?) was actually one of my least favorite, though, as it got complex and boring. Start with a short story collection. (Hound of the Baskervilles was also one that dragged for me.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
'Dr Watson, Mr Sherlock Holmes,' said Stamford, introducing us." (pg. 8)

A great little page-turner, there is a certain thrill in reading A Study in Scarlet knowing that this was where it all started. The line I've quoted above must have seemed rather innocuous in 1887 but, like so many other similar instances in this short novel, it now carries the weight of literary history.

The book, like a lot of the Sherlock Holmes originals, has its fair share of silly moments and coincidences in the criminal cases, which can be jarring to an incredulous modern reader. However, one benefit of reading these stories nowadays is that we can compare them to the excellent television adaptation Sherlock, starring Benedict Cumberbatch (particularly this book, which served as inspiration for the first episode). Whilst I enjoy Conan Doyle's books on their own terms, it is this new angle which – for all my bookworm tendencies – interests me the most. Even without this there is still a lot to recommend in A Study in Scarlet, which retains in modern times a readability, a joy and a relevance quite unlike a lot of 'classics' of Victorian literature." ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
First of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, A Study in Scarlet starts with the arrival of Dr. Watson in London after being discharged from military service in the second Afghanistan war. Looking for a place to stay, he boards a flat with Holmes, an intriguing gentleman to say the least. Before he knows it, he’s assisting Holmes with a murder investigation.

Overall, this is the place to start if you want to read Holmes. The story is well-told, the plot hangs together pretty well, and there are plenty of twists for the inquisitive reader to navigate through. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I'm a fan of the BBC-series called 'Sherlock' and that made me want to read the original books. I really loved to see that the series were based so much on the book. It became a search to find all the resemblances between the two. When the second part started (about the Mormons) I at first thought there was some sort of mess up whit my version of A Study in Scarlet (and that it was a completely different story). I read it anyway and it happened to be just a part of this book. That was a thing I thought was a bit strange, but I liked the over all story. The next books are on my To-Be-Read-List... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140057072, Paperback)

Arthur Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet is the first published story involving the legendary Sherlock Holmes, arguably the world's best-known detective, and the first narrative by Holmes's Boswell, the unassuming Dr. Watson, a military surgeon lately returned from the Afghan War. Watson needs a flat-mate and a diversion. Holmes needs a foil. And thus a great literary collaboration begins.

Watson and Holmes move to a now-famous address, 221B Baker Street, where Watson is introduced to Holmes's eccentricities as well as his uncanny ability to deduce information about his fellow beings. Somewhat shaken by Holmes's egotism, Watson is nonetheless dazzled by his seemingly magical ability to provide detailed information about a man glimpsed once under the streetlamp across the road.

Then murder. Facing a deserted house, a twisted corpse with no wounds, a mysterious phrase drawn in blood on the wall, and the buffoons of Scotland Yard--Lestrade and Gregson--Holmes measures, observes, picks up a pinch of this and a pinch of that, and generally baffles his faithful Watson. Later, Holmes explains: "In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward.... There are few people who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were which led up to that result." Holmes is in that elite group.

Conan Doyle quickly learned that it was Holmes's deductions that were of most interest to his readers. The lengthy flashback, while a convention of popular fiction, simply distracted from readers' real focus. It is when Holmes and Watson gather before the coal fire and Holmes sums up the deductions that led him to the successful apprehension of the criminal that we are most captivated. Subsequent Holmes stories--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--rightly plunge the twosome directly into the middle of a baffling crime, piling mystery upon mystery until Holmes's denouement once more leaves the dazzled Watson murmuring, "You are wonderful, Holmes!" Generations of readers agree. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

In this first of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes and Dr. Watson investigate the murder of an American and his private secretary.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100836, 1400109418, 1400115132

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,609,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible