A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

4,2881811,151 (3.85)3 / 365
Member:john257hopper
Title:A Study in Scarlet
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:
Collections:Your library, Owned, eBooks
Rating:*****
Tags:eBook, fiction, 2012, Kindle Store, from Sherlock Holmes Illustrated and Complete

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle (1887)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign Of The Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

English (165)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (181)
After they caught a suspect the story suddenly changes to the American west. I thought it was a problem with my download, but that is the way the book is. After going through a story that seems to be totally unrelated to the mystery the explanation of the connection comes. The change was very jarring. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 3, 2016 |
My first Sherlock Holmes book, so I figured I'd start from the beginning.

Starts off with a bang - Holmes and Wattson are swiftly established and the mystery put in motion, and all of it runs nicely and without contrivances. The problem comes in halfway into the book where there is a huge shift in narration, that I can't go into due to its spoilerific nature, but that completely breaks apart the flow of the book for the proceeding 30% of it. At the end it ties back up with some good stuff, but it's unfortunate that the middle was such a drag. ( )
  Kuroonehalf | Oct 8, 2016 |

Originally posted here

I absolutely adored this book. My only regret is that I did not read it sooner. Strangely, I read Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk in 2012 which is a Sherlock Holmes retelling that is a tribute to the originals; I really enjoyed that book so why didn't I pick up A Study in Scarlet? It beggars belief.

Moving swiftly on. I fell in love with Arthur Conan Doyle's writing, I adored Dr Watson's account of Sherlock Holmes and his brilliant mind. The mystery was utterly fascinating, and the burgeoning camaraderie between Watson and Holmes was a delight to read. The nineteenth century is one of my favourite periods of time to read about and I could not get enough of all the little historical details and descriptions of London. The character of Sherlock Holmes was a little different to what I was expecting compared to the various portrayals of him in film and TV. Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock is surprisingly polite and humble, at least in this first book. Sherlock also isn't the all knowing genius I expected, he didn't know that the Earth revolves around the sun for example and Watson further indicates he chooses to be ignorant of similar common knowledge.

The seemingly random departure from the main narrative in the second part of this book was one of my favourite bits. Frontier America, pioneers and oddly, fundamentalist Mormons. The descriptions of the desert landscape of Nevada and Utah and their surrounding areas was just fascinating as well as Arthur Conan Doyle's attitude toward the FLDS church.

I would highly recommend this book to everyone who hasn't read it yet, better late then never! It is a really easy, accessible classic to read and the mystery was riveting as expected. One of my new favourites. ( )
  4everfanatical | Aug 16, 2016 |
This is were it all started. It was okay. A bit on the boring side. There are better Sherlock Holmes story than this one. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Aug 9, 2016 |
This is an enjoyable introduction to both Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, and it will be interesting to see how their characters develop across the series. I particularly enjoyed the large section that took place on the American Plains (not something you expect in a Sherlock Holmes book!) and how the story unravelled that led up to events being investigated in London. This was particularly well done. I look forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |

Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Illustrated Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Six Great Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Study in Scarlet; and The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The adventures of Sherlock Holmes ; The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes ; The return of Sherlock Holmes ; The hound of the Baskervilles ; A study in scarlet ... the Bruce-Partington plans (Masters Library) by Arthur Conan Doyle

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a study

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140057072, Paperback)

Arthur Conan Doyle's Study in Scarlet is the first published story involving the legendary Sherlock Holmes, arguably the world's best-known detective, and the first narrative by Holmes's Boswell, the unassuming Dr. Watson, a military surgeon lately returned from the Afghan War. Watson needs a flat-mate and a diversion. Holmes needs a foil. And thus a great literary collaboration begins.

Watson and Holmes move to a now-famous address, 221B Baker Street, where Watson is introduced to Holmes's eccentricities as well as his uncanny ability to deduce information about his fellow beings. Somewhat shaken by Holmes's egotism, Watson is nonetheless dazzled by his seemingly magical ability to provide detailed information about a man glimpsed once under the streetlamp across the road.

Then murder. Facing a deserted house, a twisted corpse with no wounds, a mysterious phrase drawn in blood on the wall, and the buffoons of Scotland Yard--Lestrade and Gregson--Holmes measures, observes, picks up a pinch of this and a pinch of that, and generally baffles his faithful Watson. Later, Holmes explains: "In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward.... There are few people who, if you told them a result, would be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps were which led up to that result." Holmes is in that elite group.

Conan Doyle quickly learned that it was Holmes's deductions that were of most interest to his readers. The lengthy flashback, while a convention of popular fiction, simply distracted from readers' real focus. It is when Holmes and Watson gather before the coal fire and Holmes sums up the deductions that led him to the successful apprehension of the criminal that we are most captivated. Subsequent Holmes stories--The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes--rightly plunge the twosome directly into the middle of a baffling crime, piling mystery upon mystery until Holmes's denouement once more leaves the dazzled Watson murmuring, "You are wonderful, Holmes!" Generations of readers agree. --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:43 -0400)

In this first of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Holmes and Dr. Watson investigate the murder of an American and his private secretary.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100836, 1400109418, 1400115132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,734,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible