Last to Die by Tess Gerritsen

Last to Die (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Tess Gerritsen

Member:aliena0811
Title:Last to Die
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:Brilliance Audio on CD Value Priced (2013), Audio CD
Rating:*****
Tags:2012

Last to Die by Tess Gerritsen (2012)

English (23)  Dutch (3)  All languages (26)
Confusing. Not as much of a thriller as usual either. No Daniel Brophy. Those were the firs three thoughts I had after I finished this most recent entry into the Rizzoli and Isles series of books.

It all starts with a couple of kids and the killing of their parents. And then the killing of the couples that were their adoptive parents. Even for a Tess Gerritsen novel that was a ton of killing, even before the reader got to Rizzoli and Isles.

Rizzoli and Isles' subplot from the previous book is still there, and boy oh boy is it tense between the two. Of course, I do have a small problem with the 'who' story line because I've read every book in the series (some of them twice) and nowhere in the series have Rizzoli and Isles been anywhere near close friends, and all of a sudden they need to 're-become' friends again? In previous books I've been impressed with how Gerritsen kept her book characters from becoming the ones in the TV show (although in a lot of ways I like the show just a smidge more than the books). But, in this book they seemed to be much closer to the TV characters then ever before unfortunately.

But, overall it wasn't a bad plot (although I did have to go back and read the italicized parts once I figured out what the heck was going on in them. That sort of thing is not my favorite story device at all).

Still. For the most part the characters were still good, and I loved that there was no Daniel Brophy in it. And I also really liked the subplot that included Korsak and the rest of the Rizzoli clan, Mama, and wayward Dad. I do wish that that story line had had some closure in it, but, I get that it was a cliffhanger so that Gerritsen could continue the story line in the next book (I hope). ( )
  DanieXJ | Nov 29, 2014 |
Another thrilling and engaging book by Tess Gerritsen. I'm always intrigued by what plot lines she can come out with.
The child aspect of this book was creepy to me. As a mother, I tend to worry about my children, and this book just scared me. It wasn't my favorite book of Gerritsen's, but enjoyed it nonetheless. ( )
  jdy | Oct 20, 2014 |
just couldn't get into it. Find all the 'colour' about Rizzoli's family to be annoying and with each book Isles seems less a real character to me.
  mmyoung | Aug 29, 2014 |
For the second time in his short life, Teddy Clock has survived a massacre. Two years ago, he barely escaped when his entire family was slaughtered. Now, at fourteen, in a hideous echo of the past, Teddy is the lone survivor of his foster family's mass murder. Orphaned once more, the traumatized teenager has nowhere to turn - until the Boston PD puts Detective Jane Rizzoli on the case. Determined to protect this young man, Jane discovers that what seemed like a coincidence is instead just one horrifying part of a relentless killer's merciless mission. Jane spirits Teddy to the exclusive Evensong boarding school, a sanctuary where young victims of violent crime learn the secrets and skills of survival in a dangerous world. But even behind locked gates, and surrounded by acres of sheltering Maine wilderness. Jane fears that Evensong's mysterious benefactors aren't the only ones watching. When strange blood-splattered dolls are found dangling from a tree, Jane knows that her instincts are dead on. And when she learns of Will Yablonski and Claire Ward, students whose tragic pasts bear a shocking resemblance to Teddy's, it becomes chillingly clear that a circling predator has more than one victim in mind. Joining forces with her trusted partner, medical examiner Maura Isles, Jane is determined to keep these orphans safe from harm. But an unspeakable secret dooms the children's fate - unless Jane and Maura can finally put an end to an obsessed killer's twisted quest. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 11, 2014 |
This is another of those thrilling and compelling stories from Gerritsen about Rizzoli & Isles.
Whenever children are the intended victims of a killer, the story is much more frightening although it could also have been much more over-the-top. Who wants to kill children? And are they safe at the boarding school of the millionaire who may be in love with Isles (or not). I understand that Gerritsen wants to keep the tension about relationships but Dr. Isles really is always unhappy, lonely and sad. That is getting on my mind by know. She doesn’t have to be the over-glee doctor of the tv series, but some joy of life could be part of her story, or not?? ( )
  Kaysbooks | Apr 6, 2014 |

Tess Gerritsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ter nagedachtenis aan mijn moeder, Ruby Jui Chiung Tom
In memory of my mother, Ruby Jui Chiung Tom
We noemden hem Icarus.
We called him Icarus.

Visiting sixteen-year-old "Rat" Perkins at isolated Evenson boarding school, Maura Isles is astonished to learn that all of his classmates are survivors of violence and are being instructed in scientific detective skills, a discovery that coincides with Jane Rizzoli's investigation into the murder of a boy's foster family.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,489,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible