Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Authors:Julianne Donaldson
Info:Shadow Mountain (2012), Paperback, 264 pages
Collections:Lovekad

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

I started this review at 4 stars, but it has slowly devolved down to 2. Oh goodness...

There is just something wrong with a story when it works so damn hard to tell you everything, but show you nothing at all. Also, you know you've read too many regencies when you can figure out in the first five pages that there's going to be a kidnapping before the end.

I'm just going to list a few of my issues and leave it at that... But I kind of do want to read another by this author, just to see if her writing improves, because the one thing that was done really well were the interactions between Marianne and Philip. I really did end up liking both of them when they were together, even though Marianne was a complete idiot.

- Marianne says she misses her father soooo much, but when he traverses an ocean to be with her again she barely spends any time with him. She has her moment, then just ignores him for the rest of the book.
- On that same subject, Marianne is over the moon about that locket with her mother's picture, but when Philip gives it back to her in the end, it's like she completely forgot about it until that moment.. It left me with the impression that she couldn't hold much more than one thought in her head at a time.
- The hints the author was giving off about Philip were insanely straightforward. Like, smack you in the face obvious. But Marianne is just completely oblivious to everything. And I mean COMPLETELY oblivious.
- She doesn't have any interest in the world around her. She's going to this families house, but somehow doesn't know a super simple fact like Philip is the patriarch of the family since his brother died years ago. How do you not ask about the family and just make blanket assumptions of that level?
- While we're on the subject, let's talk about the trip that Philip takes that she makes a HUGE assumption about that is COMPLETELY wrong. That was about where I decided she had a classic case of TSTL. I mean, dude... Wake up and get some clarification every now and then. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
With her twin sister in London, her grieving father somewhere in France, Marianne was sent to Bath to stay with her grandmother. Bored and wanting to escape an undesirable suitor, she is excited for the opportunity to join her sister at a country estate. Her trip to Edenbrooke, however, is fraught with drama and excitement as her carriage is attacked by a highway man and she is rescued by a handsome stranger. When she finally arrives at Edenbrooke, she's surprised to discover that her mysterious rescuer has his own ties to the estate.

I hate first person and it got tiresome here with Marianne's thoughts and wonderings. She easily believed the worst of the man she professed to love: assuming he was off cavorting, etc. All the secrecy stuff got old, but as is with many Regency-themed novels, there is drama and romance, misunderstanding and froth.

This was a nice debut novel. I wouldn't call it brilliant or fantastic or the best book ever, like many of its 5 star reviewers do, but it was entertaining, sweet, easy to read, clean and a nice diversion. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
n invitation from her twin sister to join her in the country delighted Marianne Daventry immensely. Escaping both the boredom of Bath and a boring suitor was heaven-sent. But a highwayman starts off a series of events that will change Marianne’s life forever. This tale is filled to the brim with adventure, romance, charming characters, and delightful repartee. The story is sweet without being sappy and thrilling without being graphic. It was pure pleasure from beginning to end. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 10, 2016 |
Like Jane Austen's books, this took me a while to get into. But it was worth it in the end! ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |

When Marianne receives an invitation to spend the summer with her twin sister in Edenbrooke, she has no idea of the romance and adventure that await her once she meets the dashing Sir Philip.

196 wanted2 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,102,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible