Tilt by Ellen Hopkins

Tilt (edition 2014)

by Ellen Hopkins (Author)

Member:BHS_Library
Title:Tilt
Authors:Ellen Hopkins (Author)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, 624 pages
Collections:new fiction, new english, new books January 2017

Tilt by Ellen Hopkins

Favourite quote:
....every word an author writes causes ripples, like tossing a stone into a pond. And you don't know where they'll go, or who they'll touch, or when they might come back to you. I think everything you do is kind of like that, too. ( )
  Shelby-Lamb-Author | Jan 17, 2017 |
I’ve only ever read Perfect by Ellen Hopkins, and I absolutely loved it. When I faced Tilt, I thought I had another great book in my hands.

What really ruined this book for me was the fact that I could not get emotionally invested in the characters’ lives.

Mikayla never really spoke to me. I couldn’t understand her romance with Dylan. I really couldn’t see their romance as anything other than a very unhealthy co-dependency. Mikayla’s every thought was about Dylan, and about how she could twist and turn and bend herself in every which way to make him happy. We only start to see real character from her when she finds out she’s pregnant, and even then she’s over the top, jealous, petty and immature. I really wished throughout the whole book that someone would give her a reality check, because her chapters were definitely very difficult to tolerate.

Harley got on my nerves more than anything. She's is tired of being a “good girl”, so she wants to change that. Harley does so many things that I really wish never to read again. I’m 18, and seeing a 14-year old make so many subsequent bad decisions was agonizing. I ached to be her mother and slap some sense into her. All I can really say about her overall outcome is: it was expected.

The only point of view that I really enjoyed was Shane’s. Shane’s story was the one that captivated me the most, and the one that didn’t make me want to roll my eyes most of the time. Shane and Alex’s relationship was so different and so genuine from the other relationships in this book. They had to overcome religious parents, judgmental peers, health issues, mental disorders, etc. There were so many things happening between them, and it was so nice to see how their relationship would twist and turn and accommodate to what was happening. I loved this part of the story.

Between each chapter there was a point of view of a different minor character, and at first it was good. After that, it turned really unnecessary to the plot and basically useless.

The narrators for this audiobook were wonderful. They each knew how to represent their characters and did excellent jobs at portraying the emotions. They really played at my heartstrings in some parts, and I really loved that. However, not even the brilliant narration could have salvaged the book for me.

The ending was by far the worst part of this book. Because of the ending I had to remove a star from my rating. When I had thought that I was finally going to see how everything was resolved, the book ended. It ended abruptly; every single problem was left unresolved. Every character’s story was left wide open. I really don't know what happened with any of them. I was really disappointed at this.

Overall, if it wouldn’t have been for the disappointing ending and the lack of connection to most of the characters, I would've enjoyed this book. However, I do recommend audiobooks with the same narrators, because they did a wonderful job.

Rating: 1.5 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Okay. I've been reading Ellen Hopkin's books for quite a while, and I do enjoy most of them. I gotta say, that I think I enjoyed Triangles more than Tilt. It's gotten to a point to where these stereotypical story lines have been done by her before, and it's getting a little tiring. My love for the prose hasn't changed though. It just seems incredibly unrealistic, at least Harley's story did.

I absolutely hated her story. I found it unrealistic in the sense that I find it hard to believe that a 17 year old boy would want to have anything to do with a 13, eventually turning 14 year old girl. Virgin or not. Not to mention she did just about everything imaginable with him. Oral sex and naked photos is a-okay, but god forbid if she goes all the way with him. I mean, the naked pics he took of her and sent around to everyone wasn't enough to tell her that this idiot is bad news. She gets angry at him for sending those pics, but stops once he tells her that he wanted to show her off. Are you kidding me? Yeah, I just hated her story in general.

Shane's POV was alright I guess. Again, nothing I haven't read in her books before. It started out well enough, until the end, which seemed a bit disappointing. I was hoping for some insight on what happened to all three of them.

Mikayla's POV was the predictable one. Teen pregnancy, father bails as soon as he hears, blah blah blah. I was more curious about what she's going to decide to do about the baby, since Melissa changed her mind.

Again, I thought Triangles was a lot better than this one. It's an adult book, but in all honesty, it's pretty much the same. At least their stories are a tad bit more interesting. If this is your first Ellen Hopkins book, I'm sorry. Read some of her earlier books, specifically Crank or Impulse. ( )
  darkartsy | Oct 10, 2014 |
I'm not sure what to do with books that are amazingly written, but ultimately disturbing and depressing. So this gets a middle of the road rating. I didn't necessarily like it, but I admire her ability to write how and what she does. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
My VOYA: 3Q 3P

I wasn’t a huge fan of Tilt. There were multiple storylines with characters in crisis, enough so that each storyline could have been made into an individual novel. By trying to incorporate all of it into one novel (SPOILER teen pregnancy, HIV, drug use, death of family member, rape, I really could go on…), it just felt like too much. I did care about what happened to the individual characters, but I felt that the storylines and characters were overall underdeveloped. The tone was also a little after-school-special preachy for me. Apparently this is a tie-in novel to a previously published adult book, Triangles, using the parents as main characters, and maybe this book would have worked for me if I had read that first. The verse format was interesting and several of the chapters were clever in the formatting and could be used as stand-alone poems. ( )
  madamerazz | May 8, 2014 |

Three teens, three stories—all interconnected through their parents’ family relationships. As the adults pull away, caught up in their own dilemmas, the lives of the teens begin to tilt….

Mikayla, almost eighteen, is over-the-top in love with Dylan, who loves her back jealously. But what happens to that love when Mikayla gets pregnant the summer before their senior year—and decides to keep the baby?

Shane turns sixteen that same summer and falls hard in love with his first boyfriend, Alex, who happens to be HIV positive. Shane has lived for four years with his little sister’s impending death. Can he accept Alex’s love, knowing that his life, too, will be shortened?

Harley is fourteen—a good girl searching for new experiences, especially love from an older boy. She never expects to hurdle toward self-destructive extremes in order to define who she is and who she wants to be.

Three teens, connected by their parents' bad choices, tell in their own voices of their lives and loves as Shane finds his first boyfriend, Mikayla discovers that love can be pushed too far, and Harley loses herself in her quest for new experiences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,018,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible