Point Blank by Catherine Coulter

Point Blank (2005)

by Catherine Coulter

Catherine Coulter comes out with another explosive FBI thriller. The Winkel's Cave holdsmany hidden secrets from the past. Ruth Warnecki is determined to find what lays ahead of her in her adventure to unseal a hidden room that she believes is there in that cave but not on her original map. However, nothing ever goes as intended. Murder is sometimes lurking around tight squeasing cubby holes just at you make an entrence into some other exit.....Why a murder.....read on....Very inticing book...........Banjo

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I have a little time between deadlines now so I dug into the latest bag of books a friend gave me and pulled out this Catherine Coulter paperback. It's one of her FBI thrillers so I knew I would enjoy it. Her star characters, FBI agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock, are married now and have a son. They are like old friends. I can count on their adventures being both scary and full of relationships that captivate me.

Point Blank begins with their colleague Ruth Warnecki caving in Virginia as she follows an old treasure map she found in a 19th century book. Supposedly Union soldiers intercepted a shipment of gold headed for General Robert E. Lee in 1863. They decided to hide part of that gold to recover after the end of the war. As she searches, following that map, she is suddenly conscious of a strange odor and is driven mad by hallucinations. She wakes up much later when a dog finds her lying unconscious in a wooded area in newly fallen snow. The local sheriff, following his dog, saves her.

The dog is one of my favorite characters in this book. A little poodle named Brewster, when he gets excited, he pees all over whoever is trying to calm him down. He provides laughs in times of worry.

Ruth has amnesia but as soon as she is identified, Savich and Sherlock hurry to her side and they join the search to discover who drugged her and took her from the cave. Brewster of course gets really excited with all these people in the house.

Savich and Sherlock had been investigating a pair of criminals, two of the worst people on the planet who are apparently intent on killing Savich and maybe Sherlock too. As they follow both cases, the thrills and chills are many, but there is also the growing relationship between Ruth and the sheriff and his two teenage sons. He is a widower and lonely, funny how that works out.

Excellent thriller with a touch of romance, and great characters.

Highly recommended
Source: book trade with friend ( )
  bjmitch | Jul 20, 2013 |
Coulter's favorite FBI team are at it again. This time dealing with a crazy old man and his little Lolita, as well as trying to find out who tried to kill thier friend Special Agent Ruth Warnickie. Coulter hits a high note with amazing imagery in this novel but does not earn points for the seemingly unfinished ending. ( )
  Buffy-Tinkes | Sep 1, 2012 |
I wish I could give this less than 0 stars. I absolutely hated this book. Her writing has become odd, stilted, cheesy, and dull. First, the case was very creepy and I was nauseous through the entire book with the descriptions of the old man's coughing and abusing little girls. So glad they got killed at the end, but even that was flat and unsatisfying. Then there was a fight between Savich & Sherlock that I thought would & should never have happened as they get along so well. It was really ugly and not resolved. Although, to be honest, I've also become irritated with their home life descriptions of her curly hair/rollers/Sean being so adorable, etc. etc. Then there was the storyline with Dix & Ruth which irritated me that she basically moved in and got along so well with the teenage boys. It's typical romance stuff, but so fast? The boys wouldn't accept anyone when their mother is just "missing". Neither did Dix fully commit because of that. I understand that the next book she addresses the missing wife issue. But, because this book, and the last few Coulter books, have been really going downhill writing-wise, I won't be reading it. ( )
  Hazel_H | Apr 14, 2012 |
Definitely enjoyed this book and feel it would be a fantastic movie, if it wasn't done already? I was able to vividly imagine the characters and the action. Takes a good writer to activate your imagination like that! ( )
  catmommie | Jun 11, 2011 |
To Anton
We've got a winner here. Thank you for being who and what you are, and thank you for being mine.
Ruth Warnecki paused to consult her map, even though she'd read it so many times it was worn and stained from use, with a smear of strawberry jam on one corner.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515141682, Mass Market Paperback)

FBI Agents Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich face the most explosive case of their careers, pitting them against an unstable villain-with a very long memory.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

"The explosive action kicks off as FBI agent Ruth Warnecki hunts for Confederate gold in a West Virginia cave. She never expects to encounter the grisly murder that catapults her into a horrific plague of death, all centered on the prestigious Stanislaus School of Music." "And at Hooter's Motel in Maryland, FBI agents Savich and Carver are nearly killed while attempting to rescue a kidnap victim. Instead of a hostage, all they see is a glowing-red timer and then a catastrophic explosion. They are then led to Arlington National Cemetery, but the search for the kidnap victim is cut short when Savich takes a fateful call on his cell, as a mysterious voice threatens to kill him and his wife." "Pitted against an insane killer and his psychotic teenage girlfriend, Savich and Sherlock find themselves fighting a hate-driven villain with a very long memory."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible