The Code by G.B. Joyce

Authors:G.B. Joyce
Info:Pintail (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

The Code by G.B. Joyce

Won a copy from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
Good mystery novel. I am not a huge sports fan, but I do enjoy the occasional hockey game and I love mysteries. This book taught me some things about hockey and the mystery portion was well done. I would likely read other mystery novels by this author. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Since this book was about hockey and I'm such a big fan, I stuck with the story all the way to the end. But if it weren't for hockey, I'd have given up before I hit the half way mark. Poorly written - the point of view was bad, the audience was confusing (who the heck did he think was reading this, seasoned hockey vets?), the jargon was too much (or little in many cases and rarely explained)...

The main character was pretty good and the plot was interesting. Unfortunately, it took way too long to get the the gist of the story and there was too much unnecessary background about the the main character. There were too many minor players that really played no part in the story - if they play no part, waste no time on them.

I'll cut Mr. Joyce some slack as this was his first work of fiction, but this seemed a bit forced. I would not recommend this to anyone other than a true hockey fan or someone who has played... ( )
  plunkinberry | Mar 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This review is for LibraryThing Early Reviewers. After reading The Code I was a bit disappointed. The story was slow to developer and a little disjointed. I found myself wondering if I wanted to finish this book. Even though I have an interest in hockey, the writer relied on jargon too frequently and I found myself somewhat lost at times. The only thing that saved the read for me was the plot twist at the end.
  KellyReeder | Jan 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
More mystery, less sports, as cdhtenn2k10 says in the review a little below here. Sure, I knew the book would be built around hockey when I asked for it. And the motive, provided by the sport, was something I hadn't encountered in previous mysteries I have read. The story was interesting, and I never thought about not finishing the book. But somehow, I just wasn't very satisfied when I was done. Readers more interested in hockey will probably enjoy this much more than I did.
  etrainer | Dec 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This isn’t a first for this author, but it I believe it is his first fiction. He knows hockey and he can write, well enough in fact, that I knew I wanted to read another of his books right off.

Anyone who has been around minor league hockey will be laughing their asses off with this one. Joyce has the mentality and language down pat and that makes the book able to overcome some of the weaker points. The twist in the story becomes apparent a bit too soon for my liking but it’s still a rather good twist none the less. I do hope this becomes a
true series as Shade is a refreshing character for the mystery lover. ( )
  debavp | Nov 26, 2012 |
For Nick Garrison
Understand that the league is a systemic organization of hatreds.

Brad Shade has been just about everywhere hockey is played. He has ridden the buses in the minors, shared dressing rooms with the legends of the game, closed bars with guys destined for the Hall of Fame, and dropped the gloves with journeymen like himself who’ll never get near it. Now that he’s retired after fourteen years of bouncing around the league, he’s living out of a suitcase and scouting for Los Angeles, where someone in management owes him a favour from his playing days.

But when the brutally murdered body of coaching legend Red Hanratty turns up in the parking lot after an old-timers charity game, Shade’s job of scouting the local phenomenon starts to overlap with investigating the killing of the kid’s grizzled old coach.

From small-town rinks to the draft tables in the big league, G.B. Joyce introduces us to a character with a self-deprecating sense of humour and an oversized will to win—and weaves a story out of strands of resentment, greed, and fear that span generations and build to a surprising, thrilling conclusion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:35 -0400)

After 14 years of bouncing around different hockey leagues, Brad is living out of a suitcase and scouting. But when the brutally murdered body of a coaching legend turns up, Brad's job of scouting the local phenomenon starts to overlap with investigating the killing.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Code by G.B. Joyce was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible