Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by…

Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death (2012)

by James Runcie

English (39)  French (1)  All languages (40)
I read this because I enjoyed PBS series. I enjoyed getting to know characters a little more. The murder mysteries were good and it was interesting to have a bit of morality and religion weaved in to the stories. 3.5 stars. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
A quaint, relatively easy to read collection of short stories introducing Sidney Chambers, with a supporting role to his friend Geordie Keating, the Police Inspector. I came to this, like many, from the TV series, and whilst enjoyable, I think actually the TV series is considerably better. In literary form, Sidney looks more like a young Jeremy Brett, I would have thought and whilst the casting of Robson Green wasn't far off the mark as Keating, curate Leonard isn't like his screen counterpart. The TV characters seem to have more depth, more passions. This felt like Kazuo Ishiguro without the seemless ness. The latter depictions of the treatment of homosexuals in this era were well handled, yet I found some of the pontificating and need for moralising at times difficult. I didn't really ask for Aesops fables, I picked up the book for a unique take on an era and a character, and whilst the former was fairly well addressed the latter wasn't. ( )
  aadyer | Apr 22, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  LynneCatherine | Mar 21, 2018 |
I would be lying if I said that I enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed watching the first season of Grantchester. Don't take me wrong, I enjoyed this book and its six short stories (some better than the others), but still, I liked the TV-show better.

Why? Hmmm let's see Sidney Chambers, Vicar played by James Norton. He looks like a young Robert Redford. He is a great character and I like him in the book, but I truly enjoyed watching him on the telly...

Then we have Inspector Geordie Keating played by Robson Green. I loved him since I first saw him on Wire in the Blood. Geordie Keating is a real plus in the book, a police inspector and a vicar that works together...brilliant!

So read the book if you like cozy British mystery books, but watch the show if you want to be dazed by the hotness of these two men...and great stories of course! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This new cozy mystery series set in 1950's Cambridge features a vicar playing detective. While it had all the elements I usually enjoy in this type of series, an amateur playing detective, a curmudgeonly housekeeper and an English setting, it seemed somewhat lacking. I think it needed an injection of humor or maybe a few more wacky characters to keep it from being so dry.
I did like the fact that it's format was in a series of criminal vignettes rather than one single murder mystery but I still found it a little difficult to get through.

2.5 stars ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
... is a collection of stories set in a quaint English village during the 1950s and featuring a young Anglican vicar who finds spiritual inspiration in criminal investigation. Taken individually, each of these clerical whodunits poses a clever puzzle for armchair detectives. Viewed as a collective study of British life as it was lived when Elizabeth II first ascended the throne, these stories present a consistently charming and occasionally cutting commentary on “a postwar landscape full of industry, promise and concrete.”
added by rybie2 | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (May 11, 2012)

For Marilyn
Canon Sidney Chambers had never intended to become a detective.

Contents:

The shadow of death -- A question of trust -- First, do no harm -- A matter of time -- The lost Holbein -- Honourable men.

Introduces unconventional clergyman Sidney Chambers, who teams up with roguish Inspector Harry Keating to investigate a suspicious suicide, a jewelry theft, the unexplained demise of a jazz promoter, and a shocking art forgery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,947,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible