Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up by Dave…

Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up (original 1994; edition 2001)

by Dave Barry

Member:flobeedoodle
Title:Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up
Authors:Dave Barry
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:Humor

Dave Barry is Not Making This Up by Dave Barry (1994)

THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP
Dave Barry wouldn't lie--and here are the real life, laugh-out-loud stories from across America to prove it: a U.S. Supreme Court justice shares his remedy for preventing gas ("I had not realized that this was a matter of concern in the highest levels of government"); a newspaper headline in Ohio announces the combustibility of strawberry Pop-Tarts ("A story that... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 2, 2015 |
This was a couple of dozen of his columns which I've always loved. The perfect length as my sense of humor tends to trip out after a while. I was cutting up a tree that ice storm took partially down in the horses' field while listening to this, so I had to take a few breaks when things got dicey.

(Lots of energy & twisting left in that big, old hackberry. I wish the wood was prettier as it was 16" in diameter & should make some nice bowls, but I'll have to stain them or something. I don't like the gray cast the wood gets.)

This wasn't all humor, though. The last one was about how he felt when his 12 year old got hit by a car while riding his bike. A broken leg & stitches patched the kid up, but he made a great point about how parenthood changes a person.

I can't remember all the subjects he tackled, but they were pretty diverse & a lot of fun. His dating advice for a teenage boy was hilarious. Excellent as an audio book. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Fun. My parents read him a lot when I was a kid. It's silly, but cute. This book has a piece that is a description of Hong Kong before the hand over. Interesting in retrospect. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Learn all about Dave Barrys favorite colums he's ever written. Incuding his dance class, Elvis, and his old rusty boat which i belive is named Earl. I hope he doesn't get lost in the Bermuda Triangle. ( )
  th1nkitup | Jan 2, 2013 |
PN 6162 .B2955 1994
  CareerPointLib | Aug 11, 2012 |

Dave Barryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, James K.Cover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacNelly, JeffIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wax, BillCover photographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Earnest, who was a big help; and to Zippy, who was a small emergency backup help.
People often say to me: "Dave, you are a leading journalism professional and not as short as I expected. What is your secret of success?" (From the introduction)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345440641, Mass Market Paperback)

The title, as Dave Barry admits, is not entirely accurate. To be sure, this collection of articles does contain what the Pulitzer-Prize-winning author calls "an unusually high (for me) level of factual content." But there is also an abundance of goofy reportage, fart jokes (see "It's A Gas"), and Barry's long-overdue thoughts on natural childbirth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:46 -0400)

Dave Barry's main job as a humor columnist - aside from playing Stealth Fighter on his computer to avoid writing humor columns - is to point out what is already funny in a world that is seriously bonkers. In Dave's world, amazing but true adventures occur every day. Complete with illustrations by Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist, Jeff MacNelly, Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up brings you straight into the truly twisted center of Dave's world.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,848,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible