How To Raise A Good Kid: A Guide To Growing…

How To Raise A Good Kid: A Guide To Growing Up For Parents And Children

by Starbuck O'Dwyer

The title suggests some kind of parenting guidebook, which "How To Raise a Good Kid" definitely is not - or not in the usual way. It is not filled with raised fingers, advice on how or how not to act to become a good parent. It does not contain unnecessary tips that make you think "Any reasonable person already knows that - I don't need a book to repeat the obvious".

Instead, it makes you think about ways to raise and teach a kid about life in a very subtle way. By telling small anecdotes from his own ch
Review The title suggests some kind of parenting guidebook, which "How To Raise a Good Kid" definitely is not - or not in the usual way. It is not filled with raised moral fingers or lists of do's and dont's. It does not contain unnecessary tips that make you think "Any reasonable person already knows that - I don't need a book to repeat the obvious".

Instead, it makes you think about ways to raise and teach a kid about life in a very subtle, almost unnoticed way. By telling small anecdotes from his own childhood, the author evokes memories and feelings from the reader's own past. Comparing the stories to your own experiences, maybe as a parent already, but definitely as the child you once were yourself, you may gain a new perspective on certain subjects and reconsider your own actions.

A parent myself, I sentimentalized remembering similar moments with my child, but also of my own childhood. I was reminded of those little every day moments that make a significant impact on a child's development, though a parent may not recognize their importance the way a child does. It's the small things and actions that matter and that we should be aware of every day.

(I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review) ( )
  misspider | Oct 6, 2016 |
How to Raise a Good Kid: A Guide to Growing Up For Parents and Children by Starbuck O'Dwyer

I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

How to Raise a Good Kid is a book about Starbuck O'Dwyer's life growing up - not a list of Do's and Don't's for child-rearing. Like many of our own lives it's funny, sad, and cringe-worthy in places. Written in short story form, each piece can give a life-lesson if you choose to take one away. Or you can just read it for the entertainment value. ( )
  erinvanderleest | Sep 23, 2016 |
If you expect this book to give you step by step advice for Raising good kids this is not the book for you. This book is Starbucks O'Dwyer's life growing up, which is filled with funny experiences and life learning lessons. It is a book that many of us can relate to and one that brings back many memories.
I received this free book from LibraryThing. ( )
  JoyceMG3 | Sep 19, 2016 |
This was a great read! Very relaxed reading and funny. Great for those of the older generation as it brought back a lot of memories, laughter, and tears. ( )
  bburns21 | Sep 7, 2016 |
A light hearted book in the form of short stories. Well written by an author I have read before an enjoyed.
Recommended for parents who want that bit of inspiration. ( )
  mexico24 | Sep 6, 2016 |

Essential reading for every parent, How To Raise A Good Kid is a collection of 23 hilarious, honest and heartfelt stories about raising children that help parents teach lessons about core values such as faith, honesty, courage, hard work, perseverance and love. Guaranteed to make you laugh, each story is authentic, universal in theme and perfectly suited to serve as a conversation starter for parents trying to instill in their kids the importance of integrity and character and for purposes of discussing important topics such as bullying, prejudice, first love and many others. How To Raise A Good Kid is highly entertaining and meaningful and one of the best books about parenting and the process of growing up that you will ever find.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible