Goliath Gets Up by Starbuck O'Dwyer

Goliath Gets Up

by Starbuck O'Dwyer

English (35)  German (1)  All (36)
This book starts out with some comedy. But by the tenth page of continuous comedy my eyes kind of glazed over. Way too much comedy or trying to be comedy. The story kind of gets lost in all the comedy material. The characters come across as bland and uninteresting. The story idea is good though. The reader wonders what is going to happen to this guy that will turn his life around. It just takes too long to get there.
  somethingblanc | Feb 2, 2017 |
This book made me laugh out loud!
David Horvath is 39, single, living with his grandmother, and teaching tennis to a group of rich kids that seem to have a better handle on life than he does. Believing he's destined for something greater, David ends up leading his motley crew of friends in a campaign to bring the Oscars to Rochester, NY and also to stop the outrageous mayor's plans to build an adult theme park, complete with prostitution and gambling. All that and I even learned a little about Rochester! The dialogue was quick and witty, reminding me of favorite television shows and movies, and the characters are enjoyable. The scenes with David and his tennis students and his grandmother, Beatie, were my favorites. And there may be a lesson in there too-life doesn't always go as planned, and David isn't the only one to freak out and get depressed when that happens, but he is one of the few to deal with things in a unique and humorous way.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JenGarland | Jan 10, 2017 |
Goliath Gets Up, by Starbuck O'Dwyer is a timely piece of work. Some characters in it so faciley ramble in untruths that they could almost be mistaken for presidents - elect. Meanwhile, other characters commit themselves to a quest for maintaining the environmental and moral integrity of the great, but small, city of Rochester, New York. Goliath Gets Up is hopefully prophetic, as it has a happy ending - something which our current days in the USA have yet to reveal.

The book takes up the form of a theater of the absurd beginning with the premise that a protagonist with one eye being non-functional since childhood could be a tennis instructor. One - eyed persons have depth perception issues. However, our main character, David, displays greater depth perception than fellow Rochesterians when he commences a crusade to protect Rochester from a morally depauperate Cruella Deville character who seeks to make the city a center of prostitution. He and some allies have their work cut out for them, as the villainous is also the mayor.

O'Dwyer maintains a self - effacing tone via a rather rediculous plot, and the reader must accept this from the start. To defeat the mayor, David and his small band of crusaders seek to bring the Academy Awards to Upstate New York and, in doing so, keep local government accountable to the standards of the outside world.

The book's greatest strength in entertainment comes through it's frequent verbal slapstick for which O'Dwyer has much talent. Cynical one - liners emerge again and again facilitated by the fact that David suffers a midlife crisis throughout his adventures. One feels the cultural influence of Bugs Bunny. If one is a fan of said rabbit (such as I am), one will quite enjoy the book. However, underneath the slapstick, O'Dwyer takes a serious look at the human condition. ( )
1 vote Jeffrey_Hatcher | Dec 16, 2016 |
Goliath Gets Up by Starbuck O'Dwyer

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Goliath Gets Up - he certainly does! Eventually. It took a few chapters for this book to get going and for me to warm up to it. The beginning is very slow and the characters are all extremely unlikeable. However, as the book moves along, the reader begins to see how the dysfunctional group of friends/ family fit in with each other, the town, the plot, etc. The second half of the book moves along at a good clip. The characters begin to morph - some become even more over the top and cartoonish and some become more and more like real people. Everything about this book is outlandish - the people, the situations, the town itself in some ways. But in the end, it all works. Somehow, the author makes it all work. ( )
  erinvanderleest | Sep 6, 2016 |
A farcical book about a man going through midlife crisis and wanting to make an impact in the world. It was an easy read, which made me laugh out loud. Not my type of book though. I like realism. ( )
  pwagner2 | Aug 22, 2016 |

What makes someone great? For David Horvath, life hasn’t turned out exactly as planned. At 39, he’s single, unemployed and living with his grandmother, Beatie, in Rochester, New York. Although most of his days are spent drinking at a downtown bar with a group of fellow outcasts, he still clings tightly to the belief that he will achieve greatness, just as his late mother predicted. The problem is he can’t figure out how. David doesn’t realize it, but when Beatie tells him she’s ready to die and wants his help, it’s a blessing in disguise. For this request inspires David to try to change Beatie’s mind by bringing the Academy Awards to Rochester; and puts in motion a plan to revive her spirits, his city and the lives of all those who live there. Along the way, he battles self-doubt, loneliness and Cornelia Candee, Rochester’s evil mayor, who tries to steal his idea about the Oscars and use it as a way to turn the city’s historic High Falls into a waterslide park. Acknowledging the inevitable gap between our dreams and the reality of our lives, Goliath Gets Up examines the journey we take trying to bridge that gap and make a difference in the world. What makes someone great? Come along with David and find out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

Starbuck O'Dwyer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

1 avail.1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,207,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible