Goblin Secrets by William Alexander

Goblin Secrets (original 2012; edition 2012)

by William Alexander

Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Goblin Secrets
Authors:William Alexander
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2012), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:National Book Award, Fantasy, Middle School, Goblins, Theater, Plays

Goblin Secrets by William Alexander (2012)

Recently added byscottosan45, Akhena88, AmCorNoviPazar, private library, elisemarie28, hdzookeeper
    Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both books have refreshingly simple writing styles and very original takes on magical fantasy

The first in a series, this steampunk novel for kids takes place in one town. Rownie and other abandoned orphans encounter a goblin troupe and a grandmother a-la Baba Yaga.
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
Hmmm. I'm not really sure why this was picked as the National Book Award winner this year. I liked it better than "Endangered" but "Never Fall Down" was more powerful. I'll have to see how I feel after I read the other two. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Awesome book! I love everything about it. I love the simplicity of the language, and the weirdness of it, the author is always giving us something that we've never heard of before -- fish that live in sand, a mask that is the river, saying hello with a pebble -- a truly fantastic fantasy. The villain is incredibly creepy and the heroes are all very individual. I reacted differently from other readers in that I kind of liked the pace at which information is revealed -- very slowly, so there is always another mystery pulling you through the book. I guess I found it refreshing. There are so many books that get bogged down in too many explanations. I really didn't want it to end. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 4, 2013 |
Dark, tragic, sad. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Jun 11, 2013 |
  Phill242 | May 6, 2013 |
Rownie woke when Graba knocked on the ceiling from the other side.

A boy joins a theatrical troupe of goblins to find his missing brother.
In the town of Zombay, there is a witch named Graba who has clockwork chicken legs and moves her house around—much like the fairy tale figure of Baba Yaga. Graba takes in stray children, and Rownie is the youngest boy in her household. Rownie’s only real relative is his older brother Rowan, who is an actor. But acting is outlawed in Zombay, and Rowan has disappeared.

Desperate to find him, Rownie joins up with a troupe of goblins who skirt the law to put on plays. But their plays are not only for entertainment, and the masks they use are for more than make-believe. The goblins also want to find Rowan—because Rowan might be the only person who can save the town from being flooded by a mighty river.

This accessible, atmospheric fantasy takes a gentle look at love, loss, and family while delivering a fast-paced adventure that is sure to satisfy.

Hoping to find his lost brother, Rownie escapes the home of the witch Graba and joins a troupe of goblins who perform in Zombay, a city where humans are forbidden to wear masks and act in plays.

40 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,469,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible