Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock

Dancing on Broken Glass (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Ka Hancock

Member:Lori12
Title:Dancing on Broken Glass
Authors:Ka Hancock
Info:Gallery Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock (2012)

Ho appena finito di leggere questo splendido libro...più volte sono stata molto tentata di mollare la lettura, non perchè non mi piacesse, anzi. Solo che era troppo doloroso, scoprire con Lucy ciò che la aspettava, sopportare il dolore insieme a Mickey, a Lily e a Priss.
Non è un libro che parla solo di cancro ma anche di ciò che ti porta a pensare il disturbo bipolare...
Lucy e Mickey danzano sui vetri rotti ma si amano alla follia nonostante il dramma e la disperazione che porterà sempre e comunque ad una Salvezza finale... meraviglioso!!

P.S. Lucy manca anche a me e ancora non riesco a trattenere le lacrime.......

"Ogni matrimonio è una danza; a volte complicata, a volte deliziosa, il più delle volte senza eventi rilevanti. Ma con Mickey ci saranno momenti in cui la vostra danza sarà sui vetri rotti. Sarà dolorosa. O fuggirete da questo dolore o vi terrete ancora più stretti e danzerete su questi vetri fino a un punto meno accidentato" ( )
  Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
I was drawn to this book because it dealt with the problems of maintaining a healthy marriage when one partner has bipolar disorder. I have a dear friend whose daughter is bipolar and who is contemplating marrying another bipolar. I thought reading this book might help me better understand the issues involved in such a potentially explosive relationship. I’m pleased to say that this book succeeded on that front. From what I know about this disorder (and I have a great deal of academic and personal experience with it), I feel the author did a very good job imaging the dynamics of a successful bipolar marriage.

Overall, I liked the book. It was a good story and that is what I needed. I chose it to help me get through a long airplane ride across eleven time zones, and it worked well for that purpose. It held my attention and kept me entertained despite continual interruptions. Yes, it is a tearjerker…but I have to say that even I, a dyed-in-the-wool highbrow literature lover, enjoy that genre once in a while.

Basically, it is a story where almost all the action and dialog deals with relationships. You intimately get to know the two main characters, Lucy and Mickey. Mickey is the one with the mood disorder. But the book also focuses just as keenly on the very close relationships between Lucy and her two sisters. Add onto this the overwhelmingly supporting, and special relationships that both Lucy and Mickey have with their doctors, neighbors, and friends in the community, and you get a little village of ideal loving humanity…and that gets to the heart of this book. The (fictional) township of Brinley, Connecticut, becomes a significant character in this novel. Unfortunately, Brinley, as imagined by this author in this book, is all too rosy, and unrealistic—I just can’t believe that any small suburban community in America could be that perfect.

In the middle of the book, Lucy looks down one of the main streets in Brinley “that could be a Thomas Kinkade painting” and says, “It was all the world I had ever needed—a place where kids could still play outside and moms sat visiting on the front porches keeping an eye out for them. It was a place where your lawn mysteriously got mowed or your walks got shoveled if you’d been sick or gone or just too busy.”

After reading that passage, I saw the light. This book is like taking a group of very decent, honorable people--characters who are genuine, real, honestly flawed, and slightly damaged--and placing them in an overly idealistic Thomas Kinkade type of life setting. This is what I didn’t like about the book. For me, it detracted from the overall believability of the characters and the novel. I not only want my characters real, but I want their setting to be real, too.

Personally, I’ve never liked Thomas Kinkade’s paintings; for me, they’re just too overly sentimental. But despite that, I did enjoyed this book. It was a good story and the author certainly has a gift for creating realistic characters. I only wish she’d placed these real people in a more realistic setting. ( )
  msbaba | Jun 8, 2013 |
I loved loved loved this book. If you know someone who is Bipolar or has a mental illness, this will make you laugh, cry, and smile. Ka Hancock does an amazing job capturing the struggles of the 2 main characters. One will surprise you, the other will make you cry.... ( )
  Lori12 | Jan 8, 2013 |
From the first sentence, I knew Dancing on Broken Glass would be an emotional read. Lucy and Mickey were destined to be together although on paper the odds were against them. Hancock created two flawed, but endearing characters that readers cannot help but to welcome into their lives.

I felt as though Lucy and Mickey were two of my closest friends. Every time I closed the book, my mind would wander and think about them. I could not wait to find stolen moments throughout the day to pick up where I left off. I noticed I read faster when Mickey and Lucy were at their high points. As the book progressed, I began to slowly turn the pages out of fear and dread about what was waiting around the corner.

To experience a love as deep and devoted as both Lucy and Mickey felt for one another is not to be taken lightly. Hancock beautifully wrote about the messiness of marriage. The determination to stay committed to not only your spouse, but to yourself. When it was so easy for both Lucy and Mickey to give up and walk away, Hancock demonstrated their strength to keep fighting and rewriting the script of their marriage.

Dancing on Broken Glass is a book that will make you laugh, cry and remain hopeful through the dark seasons of life. Hancock is a talented author with a gift of capturing the raw and real emotions of relationships. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author. Highly recommended. ( )
  scoutlee | Mar 28, 2012 |
A Daniela,
questo romanzo è il tuo ultimo dono prezioso
da un mondo pieno d’amore in cui vivrai per sempre.
Sergio
Ho incontrato la Morte a una festa.

"Lucy Houston and Mickey Chandler probably shouldn't have fallen in love, let alone gotten married. They're both plagued with faulty genes-he has bipolar disorder; she, a ravaging family history of breast cancer. But when their paths cross on the night of Lucy's twenty-first birthday, sparks fly, and there's no denying their chemistry. Cautious every step of the way, they are determined to make their relationship work-and they put their commitment in writing. Mickey will take his medication. Lucy won't blame him for what is beyond his control. He promises honesty. She promises patience. Like any marriage, there are good days and bad days-and some very bad days. In dealing with their unique challenges, they make the heartbreaking decision not to have children. But when Lucy shows up for a routine physical just shy of their eleventh anniversary, she gets an impossible surprise that changes everything. Everything. Suddenly, all their rules are thrown out the window, and the two of them must redefine what love really is."--P. 4 of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible