The Metamorphosis and Other Stories [Barnes…

The Metamorphosis and Other Stories [Barnes & Noble Classics]

by Franz Kafka

Other authors: Jason Baker (Introduction), Donna Freed (Translator)

"The Metamorphosis" (the short story) was great! I'd give it a 4.3/5. It very weird and wonderful and very outside my usual reading zone. Some of the other stories were also really interesting, like "The Penal Colony".

I give this specific edition a 3/5. I don't know if it was the stories or the specific translations, but some of the stories just weren't very interesting and even painful to get through. Overall the book was good, it has a nice cover, and the more popular stories were great. But, I don't think you'd necessarily need to read this edition. ( )
  carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
In this edition, Kafka's classic novella about a man who wakes up one morning to find himself transformed into a giant bug is accompanied by several short stories that repeat the themes of alienation, dehumanization, and the difficulty of being an artist in an uncomprehending world. Jason Baker's introduction, which focuses on Kafka's troubled relationship with his father, is helpful, as is Donna Freed's translator's note which explains the difficulties of interpreting Kafka for a modern American audience without losing the flavor of the original German prose. If you are going to read Kafka for the first time, this is a solid edition to start with. ( )
  akblanchard | Jan 7, 2017 |
Someone has a case of the Mondays. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
Admittedly, I have only read the book’s main work, The Metamorphosis, and The Hunger Artist, so my review will be based upon those two readings.

A lot can be said about Franz Kafka’s work – his is the literary version of M.C. Escher’s drawings, or Dali’s paintings. Having read The Metamorphosis once before I knew how it would go, though that had little influence on my amount of enjoyment this time around. I find the short story a delight to read – it’s so bizzare, comical, and slippery all at once – it is Kafka after all. But for myself, the enjoyment also stems from the less frustrating reading experience that it provokes in comparison to The Hunger Artist, which frustrated me so much by the artist’s logic that I grew sick of analyzing it in during my English literature course on affect theory.

When it comes to Kafka’s works, the reader finds himself building analogies and understandings as he reads along, only to find them collapse, over and over. This accounts for the frustrating that is felt by many who aren’t big enthusiasts of his work. Myself, on the other hand, find that this is Kafka’s strength, and it is what makes his writing so richly tangled – simply put, he challenges the reader.

As for the little review I can provide about this particular edition, all I can say is that it is a handy copy for encountering Kafka’s work, as you have his most popular works compiled into a single volume with an insightful preface to understanding Kafka’s literature.

If you want to read more of my reviews, check out my book blog♡ ( )
  themythbookshelf | Oct 18, 2015 |
You gotta love Kafka's combos of human and animal (and insect) existence... I think, perhaps the most disturbing but rivetting story was "In the Penal Colony", but my favorite whimsy story was "Address to the Academy."

1 vote JennyElizabeth | Mar 31, 2013 |

Franz Kafkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, JasonIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Donna FreedTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
As Gregor Samsa awoke from unsettling dreams one morning, he found himself transformed in his bed into a monstrous vermin.
There are several anthologies with the same title. This one contains:

"A Message from the Emperor";
"An Old Leaf";
"A Hunger Artist";
"Josephine the Singer, or The Mouse People";
"Before the Law."

Please do not combine with editions containing a different selection of stories.

Franz Kafka's nightmarish novels and short stories have come to symbolize modern man's anxiety and alienation in a bizarre, hostile, and dehumanized world. This vision is most fully realized in Kafka's masterpiece, "The Metamorphosis," a story that is both harrowing and amusing, and a landmark of modern literature. Bringing together some of Kafka's finest work, this collection demonstrates the richness and variety of the author's artistry. "The Judgment," which Kafka considered to be his decisive breakthrough, and "The Stoker," which became the first chapter of his novel "Amerika, are here included. These two, along with "The Metamorphosis," form a suite of stories Kafka referred to as "The Sons," and they collectively present a devastating portrait of the modern family. Jason Baker is a writer of short stories living in Brooklyn, New York.… (more)

Legacy Library: Franz Kafka

Franz Kafka has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Franz Kafka's legacy profile.

See Franz Kafka's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible