Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth…

Crocodile on the Sandbank (1975)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Amelia Peabody - Pub (1), Amelia Peabody - Chron (1)

Soulless by Gail Carriger (nessreader, lquilter)
    nessreader: The heroine of Soulless has a similar outlook to early Amelia Peabody (but I should warn that the Peabody series is cosy crime/romance, with no supernatural element while Soulless is gleeful fantasy) Both have strong willed on-the-shelf spinsters who are active protagonists in their story.… (more)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (foggidawn)
    Changeless by Gail Carriger (majkia)
    majkia: Alexia Terabotti Maccon and Amelia Peabody seriously have a lot in common. And not just parasols. Also bear shaped husbands, attitude, and intrepidity (if that's a word)
    Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: Wrapped is YA and considerably fluffier, but it shares the common element of an independent-minded nineteenth-century woman encountering an Egyptological mystery.
    Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Mr Impossible is a Regency romance novel set in Egypt. The strong intelligent heroine is something of an expert in Egyptian antiquities and is determined to help her brother get out of trouble. The general premise is a lot like the movie The Mummy. Those who enjoyed the romantic angle and the Egyptian setting in Crocodile on the Sandbank may find a lot to like in Chase's Mr Impossible.… (more)
    Letters from Egypt: A journey on the Nile, 1849-1850 by Florence Nightingale (Cynara)
    Cynara: Florence went down the Nile in a dahabiyya thirty-two years before the great fictional Victorian lady Amelia Peabody, but there's still much overlap!
    Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark by Donna Simpson (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels feature a prickly, very intelligent 'spinster' unravelling a seemingly paranormal mystery while charming a large and irascible love interest. There were snippets of dialogue in Lady Anne that definitely reminded me of the Amelia Peabody novels. Crocodile on the Sandbank - archaeological mystery set in Egypt. Lady Anne - Gothic romance… (more)
    The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (Torikton)
    Torikton: Ms. Peters plays gleefully with the conventions of the detective genre, including those set forth in "The Moonstone".
    Blameless by Gail Carriger (lquilter)
    And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Unconventional heroines rebel against Victorian mores to pursue their intellectual interests. The Elizabeth Peters novels are sillier (including prodding people with parasols) and is set against a backdrop of Egyptian archaeology. The Tasha Alexander mysteries are less openly subversive of Victorian morals, and And Only to Deceive draws on Homer's Iliad.… (more)
    The Gilded Shroud by Elizabeth Bailey (4leschats)

English (163)  German (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All (167)
I have been wanting to read this series for awhile now so I borrowed the audiobook from the library. While it's not the "best series ever" it is still a good listen/read. I really enjoyed the history that the author put into the book. It is a historical mystery in setting alone since it takes place in the Victorian era, but the main character is a female that's extremely interested in the history of Ancient Egypt. I love the fact that she's a strong very opinionated character that does what she wants. At some point, I'll finish the other 19 books series. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Jan 22, 2017 |
I had serious doubts about tackling the first in the "The Amelia Peabody" series.

"Crocodile on the Sandbank" is a book that was in my to be read pile for years and years. So much to read and so little time do it.

It was with some trepidation that I started reading it. In the first third of the book comes this gem I knew I would like when, after rescuing a young woman in Rome and hearing how she was seduced and betrayed, the first thing she asked was what sex was like (at the time, Amelia was a spinster who neither expected nor desired marriage...).

You can read the rest of this review on my blog. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Amelia Peabody murder mystery series. Amelia has now become one of my favourite characters, especially as brought to life in the Audiobooks by Barbara Rosenblat and I intend to work my way through the whole series. ( )
  Momonaco | Nov 23, 2016 |
Crocodile on the Sandbank
4 Stars

Following the death of her scholarly father, Amelia Peabody inherits a fortune and decides to fulfill her lifelong dream of traveling to Egypt and seeing, in person, the archeological sites that she has only read about. Before she knows it, Amelia is embroiled in a mysterious adventure involving a young English woman with a troubling past, an abrasive archeologist with no patience for women and a disturbing Mummy with a suspicious agenda.

Note on the audiobook:The series has been recorded by two different narrators: Barbara Rosenblat and Susan O’Malley. Despite recommendations for the Rosenblat narration, I ended up listening to the O'Malley version and enjoyed it tremendously. While her accent isn't that of a native Brit, it was close enough for me. I’ve had trouble listening the Rosenblatt in the past as she sounds like a pompous, middle-aged curmudgeon and comes across as older than the young heroines she is voicing.

In terms of the setting, Egypt is one of my absolute favorites. There is something so mysterious and intense about the country and the archeological aspects are fascinating. I spent a great deal of time looking up Nefertiti and Akhenaten on the Wikipedia.

Amelia is a bit pompous and self-important at first, but her engaging personality, passion for Egypt and affection for its people quickly grew on me. Her banter with Emerson is absolutely fantastic and their interactions had me laughing out loud. It still amazes me that Emerson didn’t succumb to apoplexy from Amelia’s meddlesome ways!

Each of the secondary characters is well detailed and interesting. Whether it is the sweet and gentle Evelyn, the smarmy Alberto, the heroic Walter or the obsequious Lucas, they all play an important role in the story.

The mystery is rather predictable and it is easy to figure out the culprits and the motivations. Nevertheless, the process of getting to the resolution is highly entertaining and I will be continuing with the series very soon. ( )
1 vote Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Janet (Jul 12, 2010)

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Malley, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The love of my beloved is on yonder side. A width of water is between us, and a crocodile waiteth on the sandbank. - Ancient Egyptian love poem
To my son
Peter
When I first set eyes on Evelyn Barton-Forbes she was walking the streets of Rome -
"Stop," he ordered, in a low but compelling voice. "Do no take another step, or I fire! D--- it," he added vexedly, "does the monstrosity understand English? How absurd this is!" "It understands the gesture, at least," I called, thrusting head and shoulders through the window. "Lucas, for pity's sake, seize it! Don't stand there deriding its linguistic inadequacies!"

Amelia Peabody, that indomitable product of the Victorian age, embarks on her first Egyptian adventure armed with unshakable self-confidence, a journal to record her thoughts, and, of course, a sturdy umbrella.
On her way, Amelia rescues young Evelyn Barton-Forbes, who has been "ruined" and abandoned no the streets of Rome by her rascally lover. with a typical disregard for convention, Amelia promptly hires her fellow countrywoman as a companion and takes her to Cairo.
Eluding Alberto, Evelyn's former lover, who wants her back, and Evelyn's cousin Lord Ellesmere, who wishes to marry her, the two women sail up the Nile. they disembark at an archeological site run by the Emerson brothers - the irascible, but dashing, Radcliffe and the amiable Walter. Soon their little party is increased by one -one mummy, that is, and a singularly lively example of the species. Strange visitations, suspicious accidents, and a botched kidnapping convince Amelia that there is a plot afoot to harm Evelyn.
Bu no villain, or mummy, is a match for the doughty Amelia. How she arranges all to her satisfaction is just one of the pleasures of this delightfully witty mystery.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0445406518, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Peters's unforgettable heroine Amelia Peabody makes her first appearance in this clever mystery. Amelia receives a rather large inheritance and decides to use it for travel. On her way through Rome to Egypt, she meets Evelyn Barton-Forbes, a young woman abandoned by her lover and left with no means of support. Amelia promptly takes Evelyn under her wing, insisting that the young lady accompany her to Egypt, where Amelia plans to indulge her passion for Egyptology. When Evelyn becomes the target of an aborted kidnapping and the focus of a series of suspicious accidents and mysterious visitations, Amelia becomes convinced of a plot to harm her young friend. Like any self-respecting sleuth, Amelia sets out to discover who is behind it all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

Amelia Peabody, a 32-year old Victorian gentlewoman, goes to Egypt to indulge in Egyptology.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,760,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible