An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country…

An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country Books) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Patrick Taylor

Member:mpensack
Title:An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country Books)
Authors:Patrick Taylor
Info:Forge Books (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:General Fiction, Small Town Fiction, Ireland

An Irish Country Wedding (Irish Country Books) by Patrick Taylor (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, CindyBrooks, KMRoy, csobolak, Lindam5432, BevM, Osiarn, Bookish59, libraryat70, sandragon

I have to admit, I didn't finish the last few chapters. I got tired of it. Taking a break before I pick up the next one. I like to listen to these books better than read them. ( )
  csobolak | Jun 30, 2014 |
Why did I read it? I have thoroughly enjoyed all the other books in the Irish Country Doctor books by Patrick Taylor in audio, and this is the seventh book of nine (thus far).

What's it about? It seems Dr Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly and Kitty O'Hallorhan are going to make it down the aisle after many years, and Dr. Barry Laverty is set to say his farewells to Ballybucklebo. Of course, there are the usual shenanigans of the residents of Ballybucklebo to negotiate, and patients for the two doctors to tend to.

What I did I enjoy? This seemed a return to form for the series, where we are back in the 1960s, northern Ireland village and hearing about the everyday lives of the two doctors, their housekeeper, Mrs Kinky Kincaid at No. 1, and everyone else in Ballybucklebo. The last few books seem to have taken a diversion to the past, and I wasn't so enthralled as I was with this book. The stories may not have mysterious, "you'll never guess" endings, but that is part of the pleasure. Gentle humour injected into hard times, a sense of community shown with rose-tinted glasses; pure escapism is what these "Irish Country" books provide and I adore them.

The audio versions of these books are superb. John Keating does an excellent job of narrating these stories; I could not imagine anyone else taking up the challenge. What a joy it is to listen to these books during long, boring commutes on grey days - Mr Keating's readings really lift the spirits.

What didn't I enjoy? There is a surprise patient in this book, and I must admit I was very concerned, and a little upset, despite knowing the books generally have uplifting endings. It was certainly unexpected.

Would I recommend it? Oh yes. These books can be read out of order, but I suggest reading them all from the beginning; you won't be disappointed. ( )
  Sile | Oct 14, 2013 |
Absolutely Delightful!

I had a chance to review A Dublin Student Doctor in the audiobook format in 2011 and I immediately fell in love with the series and this author. I find John Keating’s narrating for the characters just amazing. I originally got into this series because having worked in the medical field for years, I love my medical in books, and I find all the unique Vintage medical scenes in Taylor’s series fascinating. Set in the village of Ballybucklebo in northern Ireland An Irish Country Wedding, book #7 in the series continues with the country practitioners Dr’s Fingal and Barry tending to patients physically as well as emotionally. You also have Dr Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly and Kitty O’Hallorhan preparing for their wedding while Fingal’s young colleague Barry Laverty, M.B spends his time courting the young school teacher Susan. I really like the double romance theme between the two couples. In fact many of my favorite parts in this book are scenes between Barry and Susan and their erratic relationship.

I find the historical fiction, which by the way is well researched by the author, quite interesting and as in his other books the scenery is timeless. I would recommend this audiobook series to anyone who would like to read about an unconventional cast of characters in a charming little village and who would not mind the irish dialect, which I myself find delightful. ( )
1 vote autumnblues | Jan 24, 2013 |
To Dorothy
"Kitty O'Hallorhan," said Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, looking into those familiar grey eyes flecked with amber, "you don't look a day over thirty-five, and you're lovely."

An Irish Country Wedding is another heart-warming tale from New York Times bestselling author Patrick Taylor.

Love is in the air in the colourful Ulster village of Ballybucklebo, where Dr. Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly has finally proposed to the darling of his youth, Kitty O’Hallorhan. There’s a wedding to be planned, but before O’Reilly can make it to the altar, he and his young colleague, Barry Laverty, M.B., must deal with the usual round of eccentric patients—and crises both large and small.

Being a G.P. in a place like Ballybucklebo often means more than simply splinting broken bones and tending to aches and pains. It can also mean helping a struggling young couple acquire their first home, clearing the name of a cat accused of preying on a neighbor’s prize pigeons, and encouraging a bright working-class girl who dreams of someday becoming a doctor herself. And, if you’re Barry Laverty, still smarting from a painful breakup, there might even be a chance for a new romance with a lovely school teacher, if her passionate political convictions don’t get in the way.

Much has changed in Ballybucklebo, and bigger changes are in store, but the lives and practices of these Irish country doctors remain as captivating and irresistible as ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:30 -0400)

Resolving to handle his usual round of eccentric patients before marrying his sweetheart, Dr. O'Reilly helps clear the name of a pigeon-hunting cat and encourages a promising student while his assistant, Barry, considers a romance with a politically outspoken teacher.… (more)

54 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible