Calling Invisible Women: A Novel by Jeanne…

Calling Invisible Women: A Novel

by Jeanne Ray

160None74,104 (3.44)5

Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray is a novel about Clover, a mom in her early fifties whose family never looks at her face. They speak to her and have meals with her but they never actually see her. This predicament becomes evident when she wakes up one day and she is gone. She literally disappears. And if that's not bad enough, weeks go by before her family members, particularly her husband, even notice. Luckily, her neighbor and best friend Marjorie, notices right away dismissing her feelings of insanity. Clover goes about her days as usual, unnoticed by the general public until one day she finds an ad in the paper for an "Invisible Women's Club" which she attends and learns that her invisibility is caused by certain medications she has been taking.

The Invisible women then form a plan to force the pharmaceutical company to take the meds off the market and research a cure for their newfound disease.

This book is insanely humorous and reflects the feeling of being invisible by most middle aged women who feel overlooked or faded into the background. I liked it very much.

Published in 2012 by Crown Publishing. Go read it! ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
In our youth-obsessed culture, there's many a middle-aged woman who has felt invisible when the waiter's eyes drift past her to a younger, more attractive woman, or when her family takes for granted the hours of work it takes to maintain a home. But Clover wakes up one day and is literally invisible. Her husband and children don't notice at all; they carry on regardless. She finds she is not alone. She and her fellow invisible women must band together to save the day. Ray gently and cheerfully leads her characters--and her readers--on a journey to discover the remedies for post-menopausal obsolescence.

I'm extremely amused at the phrase "fellow women." Seems oxymoronic.

Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
A book most women over 50 will understand all too well ( )
  artwench | Nov 4, 2013 |
A quirky story about middle aged women who have become invisible due to taking a specific combination of 3 drugs. They come together to fight the drug company that sells them after they find management knew all along invisibility was a possibility. Some funny segments but not enough to save the weak plot. ( )
  clue | May 26, 2013 |
It was that phrase “invisible women” that made you pick up this book, wasn’t it? Yes, and I suspect that you know what that means. I do. I think all of us women of a certain age knows what it is like to be visible and then slowly become invisible. It’s difficult. So much of what we as women are is what we appear to be. And that will inevitably fade. Sigh.

But there are consolations, and this book is one of them. Quietly, without anyone seeing us do so (of course), we can read this little book and wash ourselves in the knowledge that, though we may be invisible, and we can silently, invisibly, laugh at it all. ( )
  debnance | May 5, 2013 |

Feeling unattractive and unappreciated as she enters her fifties, wife and mother Clover wakes up one morning and discovers that she has actually become invisible, a condition that goes unnoticed by her family.

128 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible