Calling Invisible Women: A Novel by Jeanne…

Calling Invisible Women: A Novel

by Jeanne Ray

2013258,418 (3.43)5

Clover is a early 40's wife to a popular pediatrician, mother of two adult children, and a part-time gardening columnist for the local newspaper. Although trained as a journalist, the economy and the decline of newspaper readership, has curtailed her career. She feels as if she has no sense of purpose or identity which fulfills her. Maybe this is why one morning, she wakes up to discover that she is invisible, not just metaphorically invisible. Initially, she believes that she is mentally ill since her family hasn't seemed to notice; however, they aren't truly looking at her. However, after reading a classified header, "Calling Invisible Women," she knows that she isn't insane. After joining the Invisible Women Support Group, she realizes that her handicap might actually be a strength. Using her journalism skills, she organizes the women to discover what happened to them and attempt to stop it from happening to others.

This novel is uses the invisibility as a metaphor for lack of purpose and identity. As Clover begins to appreciate her invisibility, seeing it as an asset rather than weakness and interact with other invisible women and visible humans, she becomes involved in some humorous moments. An easy read, which will have the reader chuckling out loud. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
Had a rapid ending. Loved the sotry wish it was more developed! ( )
  untitled841 | Aug 20, 2015 |
I picked up the book because the concept intrigued me. A woman wakes up one day to discover that she's become invisible and no one notices, least of all her husband. One of the things that appealed to me is that I think this is often true - many women as we become older also become somewhat invisible to those around us. I enjoyed this book, which tackles the subject in a lighthearted manner. In no way is this a fault - in fact, I think it's a strength. I like the fact that I can laugh over a somewhat painful experience because it's happened to all of us at some point. The underlying message of the book is that we should take notice of what's important to us in order to recognize the magnitude of that importance. It's a good message. ( )
  Neftzger | Sep 14, 2014 |
The premise of the book started out with good intentions, which all fell flat as the book progressed. ( )
  Hanesworth | Jul 25, 2014 |
Calling Invisible Women is a fun and witty novel about Clover, a woman who wakes up and finds that she has no reflection in the bathroom mirror. She's invisible. Her busy husband and distracted children don't even notice. No one notices, except for her best friend. Clover is distraught. But after she attends a meeting for invisible women, Clover discovers a new view of life. I think this is a perfect rainy day read. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |

Feeling unattractive and unappreciated as she enters her fifties, wife and mother Clover wakes up one morning and discovers that she has actually become invisible, a condition that goes unnoticed by her family.

125 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,261,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible