Calling Invisible Women: A Novel by Jeanne…

Calling Invisible Women: A Novel

by Jeanne Ray

I picked up the book because the concept intrigued me. A woman wakes up one day to discover that she's become invisible and no one notices, least of all her husband. One of the things that appealed to me is that I think this is often true - many women as we become older also become somewhat invisible to those around us. I enjoyed this book, which tackles the subject in a lighthearted manner. In no way is this a fault - in fact, I think it's a strength. I like the fact that I can laugh over a somewhat painful experience because it's happened to all of us at some point. The underlying message of the book is that we should take notice of what's important to us in order to recognize the magnitude of that importance. It's a good message. ( )
  Neftzger | Sep 14, 2014 |
The premise of the book started out with good intentions, which all fell flat as the book progressed. ( )
  Hanesworth | Jul 25, 2014 |
Calling Invisible Women is a fun and witty novel about Clover, a woman who wakes up and finds that she has no reflection in the bathroom mirror. She's invisible. Her busy husband and distracted children don't even notice. No one notices, except for her best friend. Clover is distraught. But after she attends a meeting for invisible women, Clover discovers a new view of life. I think this is a perfect rainy day read. ( )
  LauraT81 | Jun 5, 2014 |
Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray is a novel about Clover, a mom in her early fifties whose family never looks at her face. They speak to her and have meals with her but they never actually see her. This predicament becomes evident when she wakes up one day and she is gone. She literally disappears. And if that's not bad enough, weeks go by before her family members, particularly her husband, even notice. Luckily, her neighbor and best friend Marjorie, notices right away dismissing her feelings of insanity. Clover goes about her days as usual, unnoticed by the general public until one day she finds an ad in the paper for an "Invisible Women's Club" which she attends and learns that her invisibility is caused by certain medications she has been taking.

The Invisible women then form a plan to force the pharmaceutical company to take the meds off the market and research a cure for their newfound disease.

This book is insanely humorous and reflects the feeling of being invisible by most middle aged women who feel overlooked or faded into the background. I liked it very much.

Published in 2012 by Crown Publishing. Go read it! ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
In our youth-obsessed culture, there's many a middle-aged woman who has felt invisible when the waiter's eyes drift past her to a younger, more attractive woman, or when her family takes for granted the hours of work it takes to maintain a home. But Clover wakes up one day and is literally invisible. Her husband and children don't notice at all; they carry on regardless. She finds she is not alone. She and her fellow invisible women must band together to save the day. Ray gently and cheerfully leads her characters--and her readers--on a journey to discover the remedies for post-menopausal obsolescence.

I'm extremely amused at the phrase "fellow women." Seems oxymoronic.

Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |

Feeling unattractive and unappreciated as she enters her fifties, wife and mother Clover wakes up one morning and discovers that she has actually become invisible, a condition that goes unnoticed by her family.

128 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,888,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible