Eld by Mats Strandberg
Authors:Mats Strandberg
Other authors:Sara Bergmark Elfgren
Info:Stockholm : Rabén & Sjögren, 2012
Collections:2012

Fire by Mats Strandberg (Author)

English (3)  Swedish (2)  All languages (5)
After reading the first book, I quickly dived into this one seeing if this book moved at a better pace than the first one. I found that this book follows the first one similarly but does dive deeper into the characters plot lines.

Plot: This plot is pretty much the same as the first book, picking up were the last book left off. The reader jumps from character to characters only this time, the reader gets a little more information. I like this. The plot also moves with their powers and the discovery of a book that holds possible answers to their future. Again, this is another area in the book where I felt information was given but certainly not enough. I figured that maybe cause it is the sequel, the reader may get more info on the book when I get to the third book.

Characters: This story does move a bit slowly when it comes to the characters. I latched on to two story lines that held my interest quite a bit. Vanessa and Minoo are characters that I seem to relate to better and really got into their plot lines. There are other characters that I really could not get into, still, they all played a part in each other story.

Ending: The ending is quite dramatic with the death of a character. I was not expecting it and well it certainly peaks my interest as to what has happened to her. She is dead but not. At this point, I may pick up the third book just to see what will happen.

Overall, I felt like this story is better than the first. It’s pick up dramatically from the first book, finally giving the reader much more info. Still, like the first book, you must pay attention. There is still plenty of hopping between characters and if you are not careful, you will find yourself confused. Fire is an excellent addition. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Feb 20, 2014 |
I was excited, but somewhat wary in picking up this second installment in the trilogy, since it was never a given that it would live up to its brilliant predecessor. I worried for naught, though, because not only does it live up to the promise, it quite exceeds it. The girls are continuing their training to stop the apocalypse, but while they should concentrate on the battle with the demons which is still ahead of them, Anna-Karin is put on trial for last year's magic and there is now another threat, a cult, which seems to take over the entire town and will prove to be a lot more sinister than the group initially expects.

As in the first book, the most important part of the story is the personal relationships of the main characters who may be "The Chosen Ones," but that does not mean that they are suddenly going to be best friends - the bully is still a bully, magic powers or no. The magic is important, yes, but it's the fact that it's so firmly rooted in the ordinary and the mundane that makes it work. Engelsfors may be on the path of becoming the modern-day Armageddon, but it's also just a small town where everyone knows everyone else and keeping up appearances is more important than any individual's welfare. The girls may be witches, but they are also teenage girls with normal teenager problems and the authors never forget that - demons may be dangerous, but so is the feeling you get when the love of your life only has eyes for someone else.

The stakes are as high as they can be (since the authors bravely don't shy away from killing off main characters), the cult-people as freaky as they can be (is there anything as scary as fanatics?), and our little group works on overcoming their acrimony and, along with the reader, start to understand, forgive, and even appreciate each other’s foibles. The last part of the trilogy, Nyckeln (=The Key), is due out in the fall of 2013 and judging by the first two parts, I can only assume that the grand finale will be quite out of the ordinary. ( )
2 vote -Eva- | Jun 4, 2012 |
"We are the Chosen Ones. Who the fuck are you?"

Here’s the short version of this review: This book is 638 pages. I finished it in less than two days.

And here’s a slightly longer one: The second part of a trilogy is usually the weakest one. It’s really more or less a bridge between the first part’s setup and the third part’s climax. I read and adored [Cirkeln], the first part in this writing duo’s Engelsfors trilogy, last year. It ended up one of my top reds in 2011. So it’s fair to say I did go into this one with some expectations. I’m glad to say Strandberg and Elfgren are playing the second part just right. Because sure, there is a lot going on plotwise: Anna-Karin is standing witch trial for her selfish use of magic in the first book, facing very grave punishment. Nicolaus finds out the truth of his past. And a strange positive thinking cult is gaining ground in Engelsfors, way too fast for it to be normal. While in the normal world Vanessa is founding out some stuff she rather hadn’t about her step dad, Minoo’s parents are divorcing and Ida finally sees the true colors of Erik in the nastiest way possible.

But mostly, Eld is doing exactly what a second part should be doing – focusing on the characters and deepening their relationships, while building up for the crescendo of the third part. I’ve really come to like all the girls in the circle. “White trash slut” Vanessa, with her kind toughness, is probably my favorite, but even stuck up bully Ida is becoming someone I care about in this book. One of Bergmark's and Strandberg's best plot devices is letting the girls literally walk in each others shoes for a while.

The Buffy influences in the world building are getting even stronger though (minus vampires), and at times it annoys me. I’m taking half a star off for that. But just like in Buffy, Strandberg and Bergmark are letting the magical and everyday mirror each other, letting the looming apocalypse and being unhappily in love carry equal weight. This, the unflinching, hard realism and and the way the grey small town Engelsfors is captured, makes this another wonderful read. There’s no doubt in my mind I’ll pick up the concluding part the day it comes out, and devour that one in just a few days too. ( )
1 vote GingerbreadMan | May 13, 2012 |

Strandberg, MatsAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergmark Elfgren, SaraAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Evil is back in Engelsfors and threatens to engulf everyone and everything unless Minoo, Vanessa, Linnea, Anna-Karin, and Ida, the Chosen Ones, accept their strengths and trust each other unconditionally as the past becomes woven with the present, the living with the dead, and the human world with demonic forces.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible