The Orchardist: A Novel by Amanda Coplin

The Orchardist: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Amanda Coplin

Member:brangwinn
Title:The Orchardist: A Novel
Authors:Amanda Coplin
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Washington State, Wenatchee

The Orchardist: A Novel by Amanda Coplin (2012)

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan (sunqueen)
    sunqueen: Both novels are character studies set in rural/agricultural backgrounds/
    Last Year's River: A Novel by Allen Morris Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Pregnant teenagers find unlikely protectors in older men bearing their own emotional scars in these atmospheric historical novels, set in the American West. Despite dramatic plotting and vivid description, both novels' relaxed pacing echoes the steady rhythms of farm life.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (JGoto)

Quite good. Some stylistic choices I didn't quite get. The lack of quotations when characters were speaking was only noticeable for the first 50 or so pages. Calling Caroline Middey her full name was redundant and unnecessary. Noticeable always.

The story was fascinating and the strong female characters were a delight, even if there situation was often anything but. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
I'm so glad I took the time to read this book :). It is beautifully written and pulls at your heart strings at various parts within it. My only complaint (and pet peeve) is the lack of quotation marks. It can drive me crazy yet with this book I was so engrossed, I was able to easily get past it. I highly recommend it to all. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
fabulous novel that spans the lifetime of a man who starts his own orchard in the early ages of western United States. The author provides an excellent sense of place- and the characters are complex as is the storyline. But, not so complex you get lost or lose interest. I really enjoyed this read and look forward to other books by this author! ( )
  reyrey | Dec 15, 2016 |
I cried at the end of this book. The last two paragraphs really got me. Overall, the whole book was beautifully written, quiet , and interesting. Glad I read it. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
A slow, evocatively written read, mostly about relationships, family, and memory. The author's interview sheds more light on the story, and was a nice inclusion, not always the case. Comparisons to Steinbeck are apt, I think. Not a lot of happiness, but some contentness, some peace-- and the question I have: is that enough? ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
The roses you gave me kept me awake with the sound of their petals falling.  ---JACK GILBERT
To my family
And in memory of my grandfather
Dwayne Eugene Sanders
1936-1994
His face was as pitted as the moon.
And that was the point of children, thought Caroline Middey: to bind us to the earth and to the present, to distract us from death.  A distraction dressed as a blessing: but dressed so well, and so truly, that it became a blessing.  Or maybe it was the other way around: a blessing first, before a distraction.

Amanda Coplin evokes a powerful sense of place, mixing tenderness and violence as she spins an engrossing tale of a solitary orchardist who provides shelter to two runaway teenage girls in the untamed American West, and the dramatic consequences of his actions.

When two feral girls--one of them very pregnant--appear on his homestead, solitary orchardist Talmadge, who carefully tends the grove of fruit trees he has cultivated for nearly half a century, vows to save and protect them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,653,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible