The Orchardist: A Novel by Amanda Coplin

The Orchardist: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Amanda Coplin

Member:brangwinn
Title:The Orchardist: A Novel
Authors:Amanda Coplin
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Washington State, Wenatchee

The Orchardist: A Novel by Amanda Coplin (2012)

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan (sunqueen)
    sunqueen: Both novels are character studies set in rural/agricultural backgrounds/
    Last Year's River: A Novel by Allen Morris Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Pregnant teenagers find unlikely protectors in older men bearing their own emotional scars in these atmospheric historical novels, set in the American West. Despite dramatic plotting and vivid description, both novels' relaxed pacing echoes the steady rhythms of farm life.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (JGoto)

I cried at the end of this book. The last two paragraphs really got me. Overall, the whole book was beautifully written, quiet , and interesting. Glad I read it. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
A slow, evocatively written read, mostly about relationships, family, and memory. The author's interview sheds more light on the story, and was a nice inclusion, not always the case. Comparisons to Steinbeck are apt, I think. Not a lot of happiness, but some contentness, some peace-- and the question I have: is that enough? ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
This was beautifully written. The description of setting and nature is up there with Steinbeck in my view. As sad as the day is long, say in summer, in Alaska...I think maybe we need a new genre...American Tragedy. No offense to Mr. Dreiser, whose book I haven't read. If you are the sort that is freaked out by a lack of quotation marks, beware. I never noticed until I was more than half way done, since I was reading on my old Kindle, and that is still weird enough as it is. An excellent exploration of what makes a family, and lots of opportunity for in-depth character exploration for your book club. Don't miss it. ( )
  MaureenCean | Oct 12, 2016 |
This is an expertly executed novel. Reminiscent of Steinbeck, Norman Maclean and Jim Harrison- this is a great American novel. The lack of dialogue threw me at first, but once I was into the rhythm of the prose, I was lost in the characters and the atmosphere. Coplin's descriptive language is masterful and the buildup to the climax of this story left me breathless. Brilliant. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
[b:The Orchardist|13540215|The Orchardist|Amanda Coplin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335562453s/13540215.jpg|19102940] is a dense read. It is set in rural Washington state and stretches from the mid 19th century to the early 20th. It is the story of a man with an orchard and two girls he tries to help.
The writing is light on dialog. Descriptions of places, and people, are very vivid. The fact that the author does not use quotation marks helps to de-emphasize what dialog there is even further.
It reminds me of John Steinbeck's [b:To a God Unknown|111300|To a God Unknown|John Steinbeck|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1409615533s/111300.jpg|2505757] with a healthy dose of Willa Cather thrown in for good measure. ( )
  thart528 | Aug 6, 2016 |
The roses you gave me kept me awake with the sound of their petals falling.  ---JACK GILBERT
To my family
And in memory of my grandfather
Dwayne Eugene Sanders
1936-1994
His face was as pitted as the moon.
And that was the point of children, thought Caroline Middey: to bind us to the earth and to the present, to distract us from death.  A distraction dressed as a blessing: but dressed so well, and so truly, that it became a blessing.  Or maybe it was the other way around: a blessing first, before a distraction.

Amanda Coplin evokes a powerful sense of place, mixing tenderness and violence as she spins an engrossing tale of a solitary orchardist who provides shelter to two runaway teenage girls in the untamed American West, and the dramatic consequences of his actions.

When two feral girls--one of them very pregnant--appear on his homestead, solitary orchardist Talmadge, who carefully tends the grove of fruit trees he has cultivated for nearly half a century, vows to save and protect them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible