The Orchardist: A Novel by Amanda Coplin

The Orchardist: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Amanda Coplin

Member:brangwinn
Title:The Orchardist: A Novel
Authors:Amanda Coplin
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Washington State, Wenatchee

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin (2012)

Last Year's River: A Novel by Allen Morris Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Pregnant teenagers find unlikely protectors in older men bearing their own emotional scars in these atmospheric historical novels, set in the American West. Despite dramatic plotting and vivid description, both novels' relaxed pacing echoes the steady rhythms of farm life.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (JGoto)

Well written but became very draggy in the middle and never really picked up. ( )
  antrat1965 | Jun 28, 2015 |
feels like something that should have been assigned in high school. lovely and lyrical. ( )
  onodsle | May 29, 2015 |
a story set in the pnw at the turn of the century. some wonderful writing, a very comfortable read. interesting characters ( )
  michaelbartley | Apr 13, 2015 |
This book delivered much more than I expected... Part of me fell in love with it because of my connection to the location. The relationships throughout were touching, sometimes laconic and frustrating, yet always rewarding. But it was, ultimately, the connection everyone shared through the land that kept me reading. The one character I was riveted with was the youngest character introduced- for me, she was the soul of the story.

This is a truly lovely read. ( )
  jMitty | Mar 25, 2015 |
What an astonishing book. I considered and passed by this novel several times before giving it a chance, and I'm glad I did.
This is a quiet tale...not in terms of plot but in how the author presents the different lives. There is a lot of upheaval for the individuals, and each has to work out their relationships with each other in their self-made family and with others. But the voice and how each of the events and relationships are presented is paced in a way that makes you feel the lives they are leading.
Really an exceptional experience. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
To my family
And in memory of my grandfather
Dwayne Eugene Sanders
1936-1994
His face was as pitted as the moon.

Amanda Coplin evokes a powerful sense of place, mixing tenderness and violence as she spins an engrossing tale of a solitary orchardist who provides shelter to two runaway teenage girls in the untamed American West, and the dramatic consequences of his actions.

When two feral girls--one of them very pregnant--appear on his homestead, solitary orchardist Talmadge, who carefully tends the grove of fruit trees he has cultivated for nearly half a century, vows to save and protect them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,889,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible