The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

The Orchardist (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Amanda Coplin, TBA (Narrator)

Title:The Orchardist
Authors:Amanda Coplin
Other authors:TBA (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audiobooks (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Collections:Your library, kindle

The Orchardist: A Novel by Amanda Coplin (2012)

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan (sunqueen)
    sunqueen: Both novels are character studies set in rural/agricultural backgrounds/
    Last Year's River: A Novel by Allen Morris Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Pregnant teenagers find unlikely protectors in older men bearing their own emotional scars in these atmospheric historical novels, set in the American West. Despite dramatic plotting and vivid description, both novels' relaxed pacing echoes the steady rhythms of farm life.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (JGoto)

This was beautifully written. The description of setting and nature is up there with Steinbeck in my view. As sad as the day is long, say in summer, in Alaska...I think maybe we need a new genre...American Tragedy. No offense to Mr. Dreiser, whose book I haven't read. If you are the sort that is freaked out by a lack of quotation marks, beware. I never noticed until I was more than half way done, since I was reading on my old Kindle, and that is still weird enough as it is. An excellent exploration of what makes a family, and lots of opportunity for in-depth character exploration for your book club. Don't miss it. ( )
  MaureenCean | Oct 12, 2016 |
This is an expertly executed novel. Reminiscent of Steinbeck, Norman Maclean and Jim Harrison- this is a great American novel. The lack of dialogue threw me at first, but once I was into the rhythm of the prose, I was lost in the characters and the atmosphere. Coplin's descriptive language is masterful and the buildup to the climax of this story left me breathless. Brilliant. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
[b:The Orchardist|13540215|The Orchardist|Amanda Coplin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335562453s/13540215.jpg|19102940] is a dense read. It is set in rural Washington state and stretches from the mid 19th century to the early 20th. It is the story of a man with an orchard and two girls he tries to help.
The writing is light on dialog. Descriptions of places, and people, are very vivid. The fact that the author does not use quotation marks helps to de-emphasize what dialog there is even further.
It reminds me of John Steinbeck's [b:To a God Unknown|111300|To a God Unknown|John Steinbeck|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1409615533s/111300.jpg|2505757] with a healthy dose of Willa Cather thrown in for good measure. ( )
  thart528 | Aug 6, 2016 |
This was not an action book yet it carries me along with character and description. I have trouble finding the words to tell you how her words shaped the story that made it so satisfying and so emotionally touching.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Glacially slow and hypnotically lyrical. The Orchardist builds a world of natural beauty for the harshness and cruelty of human nature to play out on. Its focus is more on emotional themes than on an event driven plot and the sparse, restrained dialogue expresses far more than the words say. A sense of loss echoes throughout every page. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
The roses you gave me kept me awake with the sound of their petals falling.  ---JACK GILBERT
To my family
And in memory of my grandfather
Dwayne Eugene Sanders
His face was as pitted as the moon.
And that was the point of children, thought Caroline Middey: to bind us to the earth and to the present, to distract us from death.  A distraction dressed as a blessing: but dressed so well, and so truly, that it became a blessing.  Or maybe it was the other way around: a blessing first, before a distraction.

Amanda Coplin evokes a powerful sense of place, mixing tenderness and violence as she spins an engrossing tale of a solitary orchardist who provides shelter to two runaway teenage girls in the untamed American West, and the dramatic consequences of his actions.

When two feral girls--one of them very pregnant--appear on his homestead, solitary orchardist Talmadge, who carefully tends the grove of fruit trees he has cultivated for nearly half a century, vows to save and protect them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,767,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible