The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

The Orchardist (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Amanda Coplin, TBA (Narrator)

Member:pinkcrayon99
Title:The Orchardist
Authors:Amanda Coplin
Other authors:TBA (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audiobooks (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Collections:Your library, kindle

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin (2012)

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin was a book that captured me totally during the first half of the book. After that I struggled with the slowness of the story and the lack of direction. Like an orchard, the story grew slowly but unfortunately, I never felt rewarded with a juicy ending. The story just seem to drift to a close.

It is a beautifully written story of early 20th century eastern Washington state. William Talmadge and his sister tend an orchard after the death of their mother. One day his sister goes into the forest to gather herbs and never returns. All they ever find of her is her apron and her bonnet. Talmadge is devastated by her disappearance and spends the rest of his life haunted by this event. When, as an older man, two young, pregnant girls running away from a life of abuse, arrive in the orchard, he is more than ready to invite them into his life wanting only to protect and care for them.

The beginning of this book was a complete page turner, being both reflective and spellbinding. Her description of sunlit days amongst the apricots and apples evoked my senses and totally captured my imagination. This book that started as such an emotional and touching story unfortunately wasn‘t able to hold onto the beautiful rhythm. The second half of the book was both underwhelming and seemed to drag on indefinitely. I wish the author had shortened the book by about 150 pages which would have made for a tighter, more stunning story.

This was a debut novel and I am glad that I read The Orchardist. Amanada Coplin writes with style and flair. Her ability to combine both lyrical and sparse prose shows a talent that leaves me wanting to see what she does next. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Oct 7, 2014 |
This book weaves magical words. Loved this story. It does kind of drag a bit after the first half and thus my four star rating. However, it does redeem itself by just being plain dang good. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Beautifully written - enough said. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Aug 24, 2014 |
I finished The Orchardist today. I gave it to my Mother as a birthday gift in April after reading a promo, then we loaned it to a neighbor who loves excellent writing and then this holiday weekend it was my turn to be captivated by your writing. As a voracious reader and a retired librarian, I have read more titles than I can count. It is difficult to perceive this special book as a "first" novel. As my Mother so precisely described said, "It draws you in". Thank you for your story. Thank you for your writing that mesmerizes - it is lyrical, it is intelligent, it is thoughtful - and without doubt generates emotion through your rich character development and exquisite design of describing the atmosphere and setting in which the characters live and evolve. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing with us. I hope you never stop writing. ♥ ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
This debut novel from Amanda Chopin takes place at the turn of the century in the early 1900's in rural Washington state. A lone orchard farmer named Talmadge whose lived an isolated life after his sister mysteriously disappeared some years ago. He is a quiet, committed, hard worker devoting his life to his orchard.

One day two runaway sisters arrive and steal the fruit off Talmadge's trees and when he doesn't object they hesitantly begin to trust him. Once he has earned their trust he discovers they are both pregnant and they cannot go back to their previous home. This slowly begins their relationship as they decide to stay with him. The neighbor medicine woman, Talmadge's friend Caroline delivers the babies. While one baby dies in birth the other sister dies in childbirth leaving Della and her niece Angelene.

Della has a restless spirit and sets out on her own first wrangling horses and then whatever else she can find to occupy herself to keep from returning home. Eventually Talmadge sets out to find her thinking she should be home caring for her niece. Angelene is the opposite of her aunt and is serenely grounded and very similar to Talmadge, the man who has raised her.

While this story was mostly peacefully reflective it completely lured me to the end. This book came highly recommended and I am of the same opinion. ( )
  missjomarch | Jun 22, 2014 |
To my family
And in memory of my grandfather
Dwayne Eugene Sanders
1936-1994
His face was as pitted as the moon.

Amanda Coplin evokes a powerful sense of place, mixing tenderness and violence as she spins an engrossing tale of a solitary orchardist who provides shelter to two runaway teenage girls in the untamed American West, and the dramatic consequences of his actions.

When two feral girls--one of them very pregnant--appear on his homestead, solitary orchardist Talmadge, who carefully tends the grove of fruit trees he has cultivated for nearly half a century, vows to save and protect them.

310 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible