The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

The Orchardist (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Amanda Coplin, TBA (Narrator)

Title:The Orchardist
Authors:Amanda Coplin
Other authors:TBA (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audiobooks (2012), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Collections:Your library, kindle

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin (2012)

Recently added byElenaKJ, private library, Stitswerd, AR_bookbird, krisa, Santa_Fe_Word, ReadersAnonymous
    Last Year's River: A Novel by Allen Morris Jones (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Pregnant teenagers find unlikely protectors in older men bearing their own emotional scars in these atmospheric historical novels, set in the American West. Despite dramatic plotting and vivid description, both novels' relaxed pacing echoes the steady rhythms of farm life.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (JGoto)

I'm not sure what drew me to want to read this book but I bought it and then took 2 years to get to it. In away I feel like it took 2 years to read it. The story and writing were enjoyable in the beginning but soon began to get tedious. Like other reviewers here I was ready to give up around 200 pages. I have a hard time giving up on books so I took a break and finished the book in 2 more sittings. The pace did pick up as the story unfolded and there was closure but the book left me feeling unmoved. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Nov 14, 2015 |
I feel like I have to write two reviews. Part I of [b:The Orchardist|13540215|The Orchardist|Amanda Coplin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335562453s/13540215.jpg|19102940] was profound, incredible: moved me, brought me to tears, gave me chills. A first novel with a wonderful new voice that everyone must read. But she should have stopped there. The full 400 page Orchardist, though beautifully written, leaves one turning page after page thinking, "I don't understand..." I don't understand why she felt compelled to write an epic about what would have been a damn fine novella. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
Yes this book was slow going, yes sometimes you were just waiting for something to happen, but I still liked it a lot. I thought it was an interesting story about different characters that are not often subjects for a novel. You really did understand all the idiosyncrasies of the main characters and why they behaved in a certain way. I liked the author's fluid and descriptive writing style ( )
  janismack | Sep 3, 2015 |
When I read a review after reading the book, it referred to to the narration as flowing like a "honeyed river," and that describes it quite well. Talmadge, the main character is a quiet, lonely older man who owns and tends to acres of orchards in the Pacific Northwest in the late 1800's. He moves and thinks slowly but deliberately, as does the plot of the novel. It almost made me feel guilty when I tried to read quickly to speed things up a bit.(It is over 450 pages in length!)
Talmadge has lived a very hard life that turns upside down when two pregnant teenage girls turn up on his property. In his slow and quiet way, he allows these damaged people into his life and into his heart. The novel is beautifully descriptive and well worth reading if you are patient. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Well written but became very draggy in the middle and never really picked up. ( )
  antrat1965 | Jun 28, 2015 |
To my family
And in memory of my grandfather
Dwayne Eugene Sanders
His face was as pitted as the moon.

Amanda Coplin evokes a powerful sense of place, mixing tenderness and violence as she spins an engrossing tale of a solitary orchardist who provides shelter to two runaway teenage girls in the untamed American West, and the dramatic consequences of his actions.

When two feral girls--one of them very pregnant--appear on his homestead, solitary orchardist Talmadge, who carefully tends the grove of fruit trees he has cultivated for nearly half a century, vows to save and protect them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible