Long Island Noir by Kaylie Jones

Long Island Noir

by Kaylie Jones (Editor)

Other authors: Qanta Ahmed (Contributor), Jane Ciabattari (Contributor), Reed Farrel Coleman (Contributor), Jules Feiffer (Contributor), JZ Holden (Contributor)12 more, Kaylie Jones (Contributor), Sheila Kohler (Contributor), Nick Mamatas (Contributor), Matthew McGevna (Contributor), Tim McLoughlin (Contributor), Richie Narvaez (Contributor), Charles Salzberg (Contributor), Amani Scipio (Contributor), Tim Tomlinson (Contributor), Sarah Weinman (Contributor), Kenneth Wishnia (Contributor), Steven Wishnia (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another solid entery into Akashic's "[Insert Locale Here] Noir" series. As with any short story anthology, some are better than others. And it's not "Noir" in the classical sense, but all of them are decent if not earth shattering. Except for the hastily-drawn comic (oops, I meant to say "graphic short story") in the middle, it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  WillyMammoth | Nov 8, 2017 |
A few stories made this a 4-star, a few made it 3-star, and some, 2-star (it was okay). I went with four stars because of these two: Anali's America, by Qanta Ahmed and Home Invasion by Kaylie Jones. ( )
  CathrynGrant | Nov 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Despite all attempts, Long Island Noir unfortunately wasn’t as engaging as others I’ve read in the series. It was surprising to me, as I’d read about seven others prior to this, and all of those books managed to resonate with me in the manner I’d come to expect of the Akashic Noir series.

In Long Island Noir, I only ended up having one memorable story when I was finished reading, and that was the very first one in the book. Needless to say, the rest of it I really don’t have many strong impressions remaining.

One thing that this book does have in common with others in the Akashic Noir series is the grounding in the place where the stories are set. In this case, I think native Long Islanders would probably have a better experience with the stories, as they would be more immediately relevant.
  sangreal | Jan 7, 2014 |
“Fresh Meat” by Kathleen Ryan for Criminal Element

The counties of Nassau and Suffolk (collectively known as Long Island) have patiently waited their turn in the Akashic Books Noir series since their neighbor to the west, Brooklyn, started the frenzy in 2004.

Long Island Noir has been worth the wait.

Edited by Kaylie Jones, this volume features original stories by writers—veteran and emerging—with personal and professional ties to Long Island: Jules Feiffer, Matthew McGevna, Nick Mamatas, Kaylie Jones, Qanta Ahmed, Charles Salzberg, Reed Farrel Coleman, Tim McLoughlin, Sarah Weinman, JZ Holden, Richie Narvaez, Sheila Kohler, Jane Ciabattari, Steven Wishnia, Kenneth Wishnia, Amani Scipio, and Tim Tomlinson.

Many of the tales will evoke memories of actual events for native Long Islanders. They did for me. Some are disguised, while others are clearly identified. Either way, the pages are locally authentic. Current and displaced Long Islanders will recognize the lingo and locations, while folks who’ve never visited will identify with the longing and lusting experienced by many of the characters.

The collection is as diverse as the population of Long Island (which, if it became a state, would be number one in density), providing insight from voices of the struggling poor to the troubled rich. Wealth (or lack of it) can be an equal-opportunity motivator in the shocking—but always entertaining—fiction known as noir.

Read the rest at: http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/04/fresh-meat-long-island-noir-antholo...
  CrimeHQ | May 14, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I tried but I could not get through this book. I found the stories I did read to be irritating and ridiculous, like bad soap operas. I'm not sure what I expected prior to reading it but I am thoroughly disappointed. ( )
  bentley06 | Dec 29, 2012 |

Tomlinson, TimContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weinman, SarahContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wishnia, KennethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wishnia, StevenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161775062X, Paperback)

"There is plenty of mayhem for fans of dark fiction in the pages of Long Island Noir: shootings, killings, all manner of brutality...Suburbia may be even meaner than the big city."
--The New York Times

"Akashic’s Long Island volume in its regional noir series offers an eclectic and effective mix of seasoned pros (Reed Farrel Coleman, Tim McLoughlin, Sarah Weinman) and new voices (Qanta Ahmed, JZ Holden, Amani Scipio). The 17 contributors portray a wonderful diversity of people driven to extremes . . ."
--Publishers Weekly

Original stories by: Jules Feiffer, Matthew McGevna, Nick Mamatas, Kaylie Jones, Qanta Ahmed, Charles Salzberg, Reed Farrel Coleman, Tim McLoughlin, Sarah Weinman, JZ Holden, Richie Narvaez, Sheila Kohler, Jane Ciabattari, Steven Wishnia, Kenneth Wishnia, Amani Scipio, and Tim Tomlinson.

Kaylie Jones moved to Sagaponack, New York, in 1975, where her family continued to live for more than thirty years. She is the author of five novels, including A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries and the memoir Lies My Mother Never Told Me. She teaches in the MFA program at Stony Brook Southampton and in the Wilkes University low-residency MFA program in professional writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:41 -0400)

Presents a collection of sinister stories each set in a distinct Long Island location, featuring contributions by such noted mystery authors as Charles Salzberg, Sarah Weinman, and Steven Wishnia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kaylie Jones's book Long Island Noir was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,880,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible