Capturing Bliss by Nicole Hurley-Moore

Capturing Bliss (edition 2012)

by Nicole Hurley-Moore

Member:GzNKz4evr
Title:Capturing Bliss
Authors:Nicole Hurley-Moore
Info:Pink Petal Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 48 pages
Collections:First Reads, Read, Your library, LibraryThing Win

Capturing Bliss by Nicole Hurley-Moore

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For full review including excerpt and dialogue highlight, please visit Reader's Edyn at:

Review:

I originally entered to win this book because I enjoyed the blurb I read about it. Never one to pass up a historical romance read, I took a chance … and won! I knew nothing of this author and was taking a chance based solely on the blurb. I can honestly say that I am glad that I went with my instinct. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story and hope to be able to experience another of Ms. Moore’s books again in the future.

This story is sort of a snippet of a story surrounding an actual story. It begins with Nerissa, who is visiting Foxwoods Hall in the hopes of fulfilling her dream of painting the famed medieval gardens. As she looks around her surroundings she wonders if the people she views in the portraits were truly happy ~ and so the real story begins.

Blissot and Ivetta live under their Uncle’s rule. He is interested only in how he can further his own position and arranges Ivetta’s marriage. But Ivetta is in love with another and so the women scheme to switch places. While Ivetta’s love spirits her away for their secret marriage, Bliss is be on her way to marry her unknown intended. Bliss is firm in her resolve to carry out the plan, but second guesses herself for walking into a marriage with a man she knows nothing about. But after a few words with William, she knows without a doubt that she can trust him.

Williams was recently a landless knight but because of his brave actions, was gifted with land, a title, and a marriage bargain. He looks forward to beginning his future, but wonders what his intended will think of marrying a formerly landless knight. Ivetta’s beauty is well known, but William wonders what she will be like on the inside with so many praising her appearance. He is immediately taken with her and her gentle spirit, kind words, and firm resolve; ultimately surprised by her lack of narcissism. Before long he realizes just what a treasure he was given in Ivetta. Except that he still does not know that she is truly Bliss. And Bliss struggles each day to tell him the truth, fearful that he will see her trickery as a betrayal. The longer she puts it off, the more she tears herself up inside as she falls deeper in love with William. She fears that finding out both her identity and that he did not marry the beautiful sister will crush any feelings of affection he has for her.

This story was quick and engaging. I did not realize that it was a novella at first and was worried a bit about its integrity with such a page limitation. I was thrilled to discover that this story was well put together with engaging characters and a very enjoyable premise. While the story was fast paced, I did not feel that any crucial moments were left out. Ms. Moore kept it flowing throughout. William is perhaps a bit more understanding than I would have expected him to be given his status as a knight, but he is also portrayed as a hard worker and fair. Ultimately his love for Bliss is what he values above all else. Bliss is a bit more self-conscious than I would have liked her to be, but I found her a generally likeable character. Her willingness to sacrifice all for her sister is commendable and her longing for the same kind of love Ivetta possesses with her husband is endearing.

Following Bliss and William’s story, the reader returns to Nerissa getting lost within the Hall and encountering one of the Reynard relatives. A couple of insinuations are hinted at, allowing the reader to infer what would likely transpire next. Overall, this story was very entertaining. As a lover of historical romance, I found it to be a great read to pass an hour or two. If you are looking for something quick and enjoy HR, then definitely read this one. And if you haven’t read much or any HR, this would be a terrific story to read as a glimpse into the genre. Highly recommended!

(eBook copy won from LibraryThing early reviewers; provided by author/publisher company in exchange for an honest review.) ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Dec 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an entertaining quick read with a great twist at the end. Written in a way to truly draw you into the lives of the characters without giving away the ending. Well worth the time to read. ( )
  Pam_B | Jul 31, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book though the Early Reviewers program.

I enjoyed this novella about family bonds and love. I enjoyed Bliss's story and the lengths she went through to help her sister.
It is a good short read, but I felt a bit cheated. I was hoping for a longer story and maybe there will be a sequel? ( )
  coffeenut1992 | Jun 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sister switch places so one can marry for true love while the other takes her place in an arranged marriage.

Was the is good? Yes. However it was totally predictable. A cut & dry, simple love story. (I read it in 30 minutes.) ( )
  Books007 | Jun 2, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book though the Early Reviewers program. I'm glad I did, because I think I would have been disappointed if I had purchased it.

First of all, it's short. Like one part of a Harlequin three-in-one Blaze book short. Second, because of this, there is very little in way of character conflict or development. The plot is one denominational and all the parts that could have been interesting are glossed over.

::Spoilers::
Take for instance when the husband in the story finds out that the woman he married, who he believes he's fallen in love with, has been lying to him from the moment they met, he is totally cool with it. An opportunity for great emotional conflict totally ignored.

Basically, a fun little read if you can get it for free, or don't mind spending a few dollars for maybe an hours worth of entertainment. ( )
  dreamweaver529 | May 1, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Capturing Bliss by Nicole Hurley-Moore was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,884,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible